a6000 vs g6 vs used 600d

Kangaroo

Another thing to look into would be the D5200 with the new hack. It looks like the hack is giving the D5200 a more detailed image. The D5300 hasn't been hacked yet but the Nikon Hacker people seem to think it should be straightforward once Nikon release a firmware update ...

The d5200 is out because I'd really like 60fps at 1080p( I love slow-mo, your video at 120 fps is amazing) and the new sensor of the d5300 doesn't show any banding. 

Yeah it's not difficult to get wide look on m43, you just have to spend a lot of money!

As for me I see no point in going with the 600D, it's the same old shit over and over. 

I would get the a6000 for the big sensor and better video quality than the old Canon. The lenses selection is limited though.

The G6 is the best for video quality but being drawn to wide lenses and low light scenes I see the m43 can't compete, unless again you have thousands of euros to spend on lenses.

That could be a problem :D

Yeah right now the 600d is a NO, I have to decide between the g6 and the d5300, the a6000 should have the same sensors as the d5300 but the E mount is poor in my opinion, I know that I can use the speedbooster but it's like 500€ and overall I don't see any advantages over the nikon :(

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No I doubt the a6000 is worse in low light than Canon APS-C, but it is definitely much worse than the D5300. If the Sony camera is using the same sensor as the Nikon they have really botched their codec.

@Kangaroo: If you want to shoot stills with the D5300, you really need to have Nikon "G" glass. The 5300 does not meter or confirm focus with manual nikon lenses (to my dismay), and the VF is not large enough to do without. Live view focus assist is too slow for a lot of photo stuff (sports, family, etc). So if you want stills, you are buying into new Nikkor glass.

Panasonic on the other hand - you can use pretty much any lens on their cameras and it's plain sailing. I'm a big fan of Panasonic - if you are sick of the limitations of your 5D, I think there's a pretty good chance you will love Lumix camera. The D5300 is basically a Canon without aliasing, better low light and a tiny bit more detail, but slightly worse handling for video. If that's what you want, then the D5300 is a lovely camera, but if your real love is shooting video and you've never owned a Panasonic ILC, you are in for a treat. Unless you shoot in low light more than 30% of the time, it's hard to justify anything else.

The GX7 really is a nice camera - why not consider that one? If I hadn't bought the G6 and D5300 before I became aware of the GX7's video quality I may have been happy to have that camera alone.

I'm definitely into Panasonic since the GH1 hack but I was never courageous enough to buy one. For instance if I wanted to achieve the same look of 10-11mm (APS-C) on the m43 how much would I need to spend?

Anyway Panasonic should really lower their prices, they ask too much from a "compact" m43 sensor camera that can't compete to APS-C sensors for pictures.

Why do you think the gx7 is better than the g6?

I'm definitely into Panasonic since the GH1 hack but I was never courageous enough to buy one. For instance if I wanted to achieve the same look of 10-11mm (APS-C) on the m43 how much would I need to spend?

Anyway Panasonic should really lower their prices, they ask too much from a "compact" m43 sensor camera that can't compete to APS-C sensors for pictures.

Why do you think the gx7 is better than the g6?

That's honestly the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about Panasonic's prices (GH4=4K pro video camera for $1600!!!)! This is a filmmaking forum after all. Panasonic are the only company making true hybrid cameras. Sony coming a close second ...

The GX7 has the same new sensor as the GH4 - low light is improved noticeably over previous generation (GH3 etc), dynamic range is noticeably better, and imo colours are much, much improved. Stills people seem to think photos are better too from the little I've seen. 

At the end of the day, there is no perfect camera - especially if you're on a budget. You just have to buy the closest thing to what you want/need and make it work for you. Accept the limitations. These cameras are ALL awesome. It's insane what we have available to us today. We're spoiled. 

My advice - buy a G6 on ebay for c. $350 and try it. It's the best video camera deal in the history of the world. I guarantee you will fall in love with it after your 5D. If you are not of sound mind and for mental health reasons decide you don't like it, sell it for close to the same price in a month or two. Invest in glass (personally I buy a lot of Nikkor AI manual primes). You can buy a dumb adapter for $30 and invest in a Speed Booster later if you want to (metabones is the only one worth having imo). 

Today I have to take the final decision.

If I buy the g6 what adapter should I get? I don't know nothing about m43 lenses :/ 

I found this metabones sb clone http://www.ebay.it/itm/Mitakon-Lens-Turbo-Focal-Reducer-M43-Body-Nikon-F-G-Ai-Ai-s-M43-MFT-Olympus-/161167057600?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item25864e22c0&_uhb=1 that seem to be quite nice but it does not have an aperture ring,,,if I use a lens like the sigma 18-35 how can I change the aperture?

If I use a simple adapter with an AI lens does the camera see the aperture that I set with the aperture ring from the lens?

I was thinking about buying a normal adapter and the samyang 85 1.4

Today I have to take the final decision.

If I buy the g6 what adapter should I get? I don't know nothing about m43 lenses :/ 

I found this metabones sb clone http://www.ebay.it/itm/Mitakon-Lens-Turbo-Focal-Reducer-M43-Body-Nikon-F-G-Ai-Ai-s-M43-MFT-Olympus-/161167057600?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item25864e22c0&_uhb=1 that seem to be quite nice but it does not have an aperture ring,,,if I use a lens like the sigma 18-35 how can I change the aperture?

If I use a simple adapter with an AI lens does the camera see the aperture that I set with the aperture ring from the lens?

I was thinking about buying a normal adapter and the samyang 85 1.4

Unless you want the angle of view an 85 gives you on m4/3 I think you would be better off getting any old 50mm 1.7 or 1.8 lens with a dumb adapter to match.     They are all pretty good really and many are dirt cheap and you can always get others later.     plus a speedbooster or focal reducer later as well.     With some of the Panasonic cameras you can use ETC for a lossless teleconverter (in video mode) if you want longer.    

The great thing about the G6 and other M4/3 camera's is that you can adapt any lens mount you want.
I have a Mamiya Sekor lens set and a Canon FD lens set. 

If you want to keep it simple, just buy a $10 adapter on ebay for your lens mount to M4/3.

If you have a little more budget, invest in a focal reducer/speedbooster clone for approx. $100.  This will help with the crop factor on M4/3 and low light shooting.

Don't buy a 85 as a first lens on M4/3. This will give you a 170mm equivalent focal length.  Impossible to shoot decent footage with handheld or even with a good shoulder rig.

If I have to suggest one lens to start with, get a manual 35 f/2 or a 50  f/1.4 or f/1.8.  You can shoot most of the stuff with that, use the ETC/sensor crop function on the G6 for teleshots with the same lens.  Expand your lens set from there over time.  If you can, stay with the same lens mount and lens type, that way you'll be sure shots from different lenses match.

Remember that your lenses will last longer than your camera.  My Canon FD's are over 40 years old, still in mint condition and will very probably last me the rest of my life.  It took me about 2 years to assemble my set, taking my time to look for bargains.  My set consists of a 24 2.8, 35 2.0, 35-70 4.0, 50 1.4, 85 1.8 and 135 2.5 and cost me less than $800. 

No I doubt the a6000 is worse in low light than Canon APS-C, but it is definitely much worse than the D5300. If the Sony camera is using the same sensor as the Nikon they have really botched their codec.

Is it really worse than Canon APS-C? I know that we shouldn't take DxO ratings for granted, but definitely they are worth considering. 

mMYRPsG.png

Is it really worse than Canon APS-C? I know that we shouldn't take DxO ratings for granted, but definitely they are worth considering. 

mMYRPsG.png

I said "I doubt the a6000 is worse than the Canons" - i.e. the Sony is better. But the figures above are for stills anyway. The a6000's video codec doesn't like low light that much. I have no idea why. Both EOSHD and Philip Bloom's reviews were rather superficial - they didn't test the camera properly. It also has worse aliasing/moire than the D5300.

Believe me, I would have sold my D5300 and bought one if it really did have the same image. I don't want to shoot without an EVF. The a6000 is a little sharper I think, but I bought the D5300 nfor low light to compliment my G6.

The 85mm that I've sold was the canon 1.8, btw the olympus 14-42 and the pana 40-150 are very cheap,, I can get the first with the g6 for only 40€ and the secondo is 150€ brand new.

I've also found an offer on the sony a6000 and I've seen that I can use all type of adapter...the g6 is still better?

I think it's a personal choice between the a6000 and G6.

The a6000 has the larger sensor and probably better dynamic range.

The G6 is a bit more detailed and has a mic input.

Well the g6 is also 100€ cheaper body only and I've just discovered the ETC function of the g6,..it's amazing!

I'll shoot a tons of 60p and from what I've seen on the review of the a6000 on this site the codec for 60p is weak so....now I have to choose at least 1 prime lens

How much better is the d5300 in low light than the g6, Matt? Have you done any tests? (video and photo)

No low light side-by-sides, but it would be pointless - the D5300 is very obviously in a different league. It's not an A7s, but it is at least on par with the 5DIII in video mode.

I only every use available light, so basically if I'm outside and it's sunny or I want a wide shot with lots of DOF I use my G6. If I'm indoors, or if it's night, or if it's less than perfect light conditions I'll use my D5300.

As I said. if I had a GX7 I might have been happy enough to do without the D5300 (though the Nikon is still superior in low light from what I can tell).