Anamorphic test video: LA7200, Isco Anamorphot, Bell & Howell, Hypergonar HiFi 2

QuickHitRecord

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Like the music and the composition, just thought i'd ask are those vertical flares that I saw (first blue one was @ 0:42 in the middle of the screen and then an orange spike from 02:17 in the bottom left of the picture)? The reason I ask is the latter one is in front of her right arm, yet the light source appears to be behind her, through the trees.

Thanks for the feedback! The only light source was the sun through the trees. For many shots, it's directly behind her but like you I was surprised by the vertical flaring of the LA7200. I think that when there is enough light hitting the sensor, it floods the image and creates the impression that it is in front of her. It's not easy to control but that is something that I like about these lenses. I was certain that I would have a favorite after doing these tests, but I don't -- they are each so unique.

really nice.  the LA7200 seems to be the optimum for impromptu filming in my opinion.  the rest look as if they have more potential but are looking like they are being  real pain to keep under control.  the final sample, with the massive flaring through the trees is really pleasing.  It's so nice that your girlfriend doesnt mind you filming her.  i find the endless flow of 'landscape' anamorphic test videos to be almost completely pointless.  you need a human subject like what you have shown, with glistening eyes, hair blowing in the wind, and movement to accurately judge how the lens will work in real life low budget movie making. 

I have been out with a century 16:9 converter + tokina +0.4 diopter.  here are some more human subjects to dd to your comparison.

https://vimeo.com/42685556

using sony e mount 18-55mm lens (at 35mm).  The flimst lens has needed some extra re-inforcement to take the weight of the anamorphic.  lens OSS has added a degree of 'weight' to the shots.  a good combination I think. 

Thanks. I am very fortunate to have someone in my life who is not self-conscious around cameras!

I agree with you about the LA7200. It's the only one of my anamorphic adapters that I would even attempt to take on a professional job (at this point anyway. The ability to rack focus is just huge. AND it's compatible with the Nokton, which in my opinion is a fantastic combination (but only with diopters).

Thanks for sharing your work. I am continuously impressed by the footage I have seen coming from the Century. Is there threading on the front? If not, how were you able to attach the diopter?

RedStan anamorphics create a 72mm thread mount which bolts to the front of the century/optex style anamorphic.  providing a 72mm thread.  I could not work out how much this adds to the total length (the dioper itself started to almost create vignetting even when held right against the front of the century adaptor.).  I decided to buy a 77 to 72mm step down ring then remove the 77mm thread leaving a ring with a 72mm thread on it.  I machined it so it is just 2.5mm deep (2.5mm worth of thread),  I made a series of keying in marks on both the century and the step down adaptor and then epoxy glued it to the front face of the century. 

extreme closeup:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOYG_3dX1JQ with +0.4 diopter

how does the nokton + la7200 work at wide apertures?  the century hates wider than f2.8.  :(

That's very innovative. And I can tell from the video that you work has paid off. But it seems like it takes a lot of innovation to make these anamorphic adapters work to their fullest potential...

The LA7200 seemed to be working well with the Nokton 25mm all the way down to f0.95! There was slight vignetting but I am convinced that it was because I didn't have a proper way of attaching the diopter (it was just a Cokin-P filter holder from Cinetactics jammed into the lens hood). I am the process of of trying to rig something a little more elegant based on this idea: https://vimeo.com/28186244

I am crossing my fingers that I'll be able to get both my achromatic doublet AND a fader ND screwed into the front on there without vignetting. That would really be something!