Question regarding where to sell gear

FHDcrew

I’m leaning toward selling my camera setup as I want something to record internal 10 bit. May end up getting the glorious Panasonic S1 or ponying up a bit more cash for an FX30. Anyways I don’t want to sell on Adorama, B&H or MBP because I won’t get as much money as I could. I also want to get my gear sold fast. How easy and reliable is eBay for selling gear?  Is Facebook Marketplace preferable?  What is the best route for maximizing profits?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I sell most of my gear on the leboncoin.fr in France (not helpful). If you want to sell fast and actually be paid, try KEH or MBP. All other sites don’t offer ANY protection to sellers. The best option is to sell to a friend or in-person and cash on the barrel.

This is a real problem with no good solutions.

Upfront quote, quick, easy, & insured, but less $$$: MPB or KEH

Slower quote, easy, & insured, less $$$: Adorama

More work, more money: Facebook groups, Fredmiranda.com

Ebay is a dice roll. You get the most exposure so things will probably sell quickly, but the fees often diminish your profits. Plus, there is always risk of fraud and other bullcrap there.

56 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Upfront quote, quick, easy, & insured, but less $$$: MPB or KEH

Slower quote, easy, & insured, less $$$: Adorama

More work, more money: Facebook groups, Fredmiranda.com

Ebay is a dice roll. You get the most exposure so things will probably sell quickly, but the fees often diminish your profits. Plus, there is always risk of fraud and other bullcrap there.

Good point.  So eBay fees are pretty intense I presume!

If you're in North America, I'd use Fred Miranda's buy/sell board. Check price history with recent listings, be very honest about the condition and post lots of photos. I've bought and sold dozens of cameras and lenses over the last 10 years there.

Screw eBay. Too many reports of buyers claiming they weren't shipped the items and getting full refunds with ebay's buyer protection. And there's no way to dispute if its a fake claim. Hell no, I would never sell anything of value on eBay. Marketplace is a dumpster fire of scammers. Its tiresome with all the "kindly send me your info" scam BS. 

Chris

18 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

Note:

I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL MY GEAR ON THIS FORUM, THIS THREAD IS PURELY FOR ADVICE

Why not?

As long as any potential purchaser has a reasonable history… It’s any offers from someone who does not where you need to be wary!

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Why not?

As long as any potential purchaser has a reasonable history… It’s any offers from someone who does not where you need to be wary!

True, I guess I was just thinking about Andrew’s whole thing with not selling your gear on the forum without his permission unless you are a long-standing member. 

I've had great success circumventing the risks and B.S. of some sites by ensuring I do Facetime with the buyer/seller. For example I bought my R5C used and online from a seller I had to trust would ship it to me. So we Facetime'd so he could show me that he actually had the item (he also tested it out in front of the cam). Then we Facetme'd as he was boxing it outside of the UPS outlet to send it to me. So I was able to watch him put it in the box, walk into UPS and pass it off to the clerk. Once the invoice and tracking info had been generated, he showed it to me (might've even sent it via email) and then I sent him the $$ via Paypal (which offers another layer of protection) and I am now a happy R5C owner.

I was also looking into escrow services and frankly their fees weren't that bad imo.

Anyways, hope this helps and good luck with your sale!

MPB seems pretty reasonable when you're looking to trade. After answering a few simple questions, they give you a quote and how much it will save you toward whatever you're looking to buy. They'll even hold the camera/lens for you until they get your gear and assess it.

To be clear though... I've only gotten a quote from them and never went through the entire process. The offer seemed reasonable but definitely on the lower end. For the ease of the process, it may be worth it.

I've never really had an issue with eBay, but I have heard horror stories. I make sure I am extremely honest in my listing, but also make it clear that I'm not an expert and that this is used gear so it is being sold AS IS. The last I checked eBay takes 12%. If you're a new seller, there may be a grace period for you to receive the funds until there is proof of tracking.

That said, I'm always wary because I'll get offers from people with very few feedback scores. I usually only sell at a Buy it Now price with a Best Offer option. I usually list on the higher end to weed out the riff-raff but I still get a lot of lowball offers I'll either ignore or decline. Sometimes you get some sob stories... "it's Christmas and I really want to surprise my pregnant wife, whose about to give birth in a manger, a camera, can you accept 10% of the asking price... blah... blah-blah... blah"

• 1 month later...

So I just completed a trade with MPB and I actually am quite satisfied. What really impressed me is that they actually paid me MORE than the original quote, because they judged that my equipment was in better shape than I did! So in addition to getting a S5 I actually ended up getting about $200 more!

I made a bit less than if I would've sold it on eBay or myself, but it was so easy and convenient that it was worth it to me. Just thought I'd share.