2022 AF & the Panasonic case but what about Fujifilm?

Emanuel

Yep, my two biggest gripes with Fuji (and I'm not a professional) are the AF and IBIS.

As @SMGJohn said, for static and "tripod like" shoots (with Boost IS enabled) their IBIS is pretty darn good. But make a slight pan and it becomes jumpy, as if a single algorithm is used both for still and video. OM Digital still have the best, but my latest Panasonics are almost on par, Canon looks very good, Nikon too, even Sony got better.

AF: no video tracking, only in recognized subjects. Not even a bad tracking: no tracking at all. And eye AF becomes nuts when there is more than one person on screen, jumping from one to another.

I've got a old FZ1000, an 8-year camera, and its eye tracking is better than my X-S10. Not exactly for video (1st gen DFD), but the detection is much better - get the central face and keeps with it. And if you move the focus zone, prioritizes the closest face.  Just like it should be.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

I've got a old FZ1000, an 8-year camera, and its eye tracking is better than my X-S10. Not exactly for video (1st gen DFD), but the detection is much better - get the central face and keeps with it. And if you move the focus zone, prioritizes the closest face.  Just like it should be.

I'm telling you the FZ1000 is an underrated low-budget camcorder killer!  Only the micro HDMI is a shame.

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2023 at 8:27 AM, Emanuel said:

VERY worried about Fujifilm AF after the Firmware 3.0 for the X-H2s.

Looked like a very concentrated effort, since it was available for just one model, and the one with the best processing capabilities (faster processor and faster sensor). And STILL don't have any AF Tracking for video except for the "subject" ones.

Panasonic already surpassed Fujifilm in their 1st camera with PDAF.

My X-S10 misses a lot of stills of my daughter, even when the eye is detected, even with the faster focusing lenses (the Nocticrons). And was not in very fast moving moments, and even in S-AF. Around 50-60% of missed focus.

If Panasonic makes a GX10 with the S5II AF level, will be tempted to go back, even thinking that the format is kinda doomed because it is turning into a niche format - "lucky" me that I doubt that there will be a GX10...