Nikon D810 scores 14.8 in DR -

lafilm

Matt I know the d800 very well and there are some shots where you can see that there is a big difference, the aliasing and the compression method was giving the d800 a lot of false detail and mushy-soft appearance, but in that video you can see a lot of pixel details that were impossible with the d800.. The camera is actually recording 2.5K and downscaling it to 1920. (the d800 was coming from 2200 but the downres was prettybad, that's why it was soft). 

I won't buy the camera, but for someone who needs 36MP stills and occasional video right now, this it is. It's what t he d800 should have been from the beginning. The autofocus seems to be top notch, for stills.

Anyway,I can see Canon coming up with something much better next year with the 5DmkIV.

Oh and remember, this camera does lineskipping (unless the reviews I've read were lying), this means the lowlight performance in Video will be bad, 2 stops worse than with the 5DMKIII.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Matt I know the d800 very well and there are some shots where you can see that there is a big difference, the aliasing and the compression method was giving the d800 a lot of false detail and mushy-soft appearance, but in that video you can see a lot of pixel details that were impossible with the d800.. The camera is actually recording 2.5K and downscaling it to 1920. (the d800 was coming from 2200 but the downres was prettybad, that's why it was soft). 

Recording 2.5k & downsampling is news to me. Where did you see this info?

The d810 has 7360 horizontal pixels, (the d800 had to crop a little bit), it skips 2 lines out of 3, so it reads an area of 7360x1380, horizontally the pixels get added (3 together,it's not perfectly clear how it's done) so it ends with 2453x1380 which is then downsampled to 1920x1080.

The d800 did the same but with less pixels (2150x1200, or something like that).

I won't buy the camera, but for someone who needs 36MP stills and occasional video right now, this it is.

I'm not saying it's not better than the D800 - it certainly looks like some sort of step forward for Nikon for video. But the D800 isn't exactly a video benchmark. D810 aliasing is obviously very present, which at this point in the game is a bit ridiculous tbh. The D5300 has none. Detail looks decent, but it's not comparable to even the G6 from what I've seen.

Oh and for 30+MP stills with video - what about the A7R?  :huh:

I'm not saying it's not better than the D800 - it certainly looks like some sort of step forward for Nikon for video. But the D800 isn't exactly a video benchmark. D810 aliasing is obviously very present, which at this point in the game is a bit ridiculous tbh. The D5300 has none. Detail looks decent, but it's not comparable to even the G6 from what I've seen.

Oh and for 30+MP stills with video - what about the A7R?  :huh:

The A7R video looks a lot worse than the d810 one. But hey, I don't own the d810 so I can't really tell.

That video looks very good. Actually it's strange because the reviews show it has almost the same aliasing as the d800, this means lineskipping. But the video doesn't show any of the d800 flaws, the colors workout fine and the highlights don't suck as on the d800.

Expeed4 is doing wonders with the sensor.

Where are these reviews that show the D800 and D810 having similar aliasing?

I wish they would upgrade the D610 to Expeed 4.  Perhaps since both the D5300 and D610 sensors are 24MP, they could virtually eliminate aliasing and moire on the D610 upgrade.

Michael

Anyone here using any of these cameras to actually make movies and stuff, or am I just reading SOP internet rhetoric?

This is speculation about the technical capabilities of a camera that not many people have yet. You know that's what happens here!  :P

Fuzzy would you post a link to your work please? (your signature link doesn't work). I seem to remember being quite impressed with your stuff and I sometimes wonder about replacing my G6 with a GX7 ...

your stuff and I sometimes wonder about replacing my G6 with a GX7

I've been happy with the GX7.  The ergos took a bit getting used to, but not too difficult.  Also, I'm a guy that likes smaller form factors.  Not sure why, but I definitely prefer it over the tendency of rigging stuff up so it looks "impressive."  I'd recommend the camera without hesitation if you're of the same mind.  Great camera for not a lot of money and it's getting more and more affordable as it gets older.

It really looks great with older lenses on it.  Very practical for all sorts of weird glass with character, as most M43 cameras are...

You can hit up my vimeo page listed below via cut and paste; haven't done anything reel worthy is a long long time.  I've not been making a living with film production for awhile as I pursue other career opportunities, but I do like doing motion pictures and will never give it up, that's for sure.  I'm still making personal short films though and my goal is to somehow make a feature length documentary by next year.

new Nikon D810 music video

Fun and simple shoot/edit.  

Looks fine to my eye.  The thing is, you could shoot footage like that on just about any new camera on the market.  I don't see anything in that edit that couldn't be done on a Canon, Lumix, Sony, etc...  Which is why it's getting a bit ridiculous to champion or criticize modern digital cameras.  IMHO, it's pretty much splitting hairs at this point.  They're all more or less good enough.  In other words, the technology in ANY new cam ain't gonna stop anyone from accomplishing impressive shots.  It might help in one direction or the other, but the limitations are kinda minimal.    

"This one does something slightly better than that one!"  Big deal.   

Go use 'em to make stuff already.

It's good to have someone around like fuzzy to keep things in perspective.  For all practical purposes, he's right about the new cams being "good enough" for anyone skilled to produce impressive shots.  I have to admit, I am not seeing anything earth shattering in videos from new cameras from any of the manufacturers, certainly nothing like "Oooh, Ahhh, that's the new look!". :)

Michael

It's good to have someone around like fuzzy to keep things in perspective.  For all practical purposes, he's right about the new cams being "good enough" for anyone skilled to produce impressive shots.  

Yes, I was just being (trying to be) sarcastic.

The suggestion to go out to actually shoot something with one's camera, that was the radical part.  ;)

here here.  I rarely see anything uploaded to vimeo which really commands the need for perfection in the acquisition dept.  I suppose a lack of moire is great for a moire test.    

What seems to be drastically forgotten in this thread is that the d810 is a 36megapixel stills beast that also shoots video.  Just like the d800 and a7r.   Until there is the capability to read the full 36mpx sensor and downscale the 8k? feed, the video will always have flaws.  The fact is, if it's an improvement over the d800 and a7r (which both deliver great video considering the 36mpx sensor is making things very hard for the cameras).  Both d800 and a7r pretty much match the 5dmk3 in terms of internal (to card) h264.

Ultimately I find it mad that anyone is seriously attempting to pull this camera apart in video terms, particularly when comparing it to vastly inferior cameras in the stills dept.  It's a flagship full frame photographic camera which needs a 20k£ medium format back (and costly medium format lenses) to better it.  Nothing that shoots really good video also shoots stills half as good as the d800, a7r and the d810.