How to get Twixtor to use the extra frames from 50p footage?

Inazuma

I have footage shot in 50p that I'm delivering in 25p. I can conform the footage so that I get 50% slow mo, but what If I want to go ever slower using Twixtor? So I gave it a quick test; put my 50p footage in a 25p timeline, playing in normal speed. Then add Twixtor with 50% slowdown. What I found was that Twixtor doesn't use the extra frames from the original clip, but interpolates like it would do with any 25p footage. This means that getting 25% slomo using Twixtor would be no different whether my original footage was 25p or 50p. Is there a way to change this behaviour?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Are you using Premiere? I've done this in FCPX with "optical flow" (same as Twixtor).

I may be reading your post wrong, but do you need to tell your NLE to actually conform the footage after dropping the 50p into the 25p timeline? You have to do this in FCPX, otherwise it just converts the 50p to 25p and it plays at normal speed. That's not what you want.

So, conform first so that your footage plays at half speed, and then add Twixtor and slow it by a further 50% (i.e. interpolate every other frame). That should work. Otherwise I'm missing something.

The description on this video explains how I did it in FCPX, albeit with 60p conformed to 24p so the %'s will be different to yours ...

If you're using Twixtor in Premiere, you have to do what Matt said. If you drop a 50p clip in a 25p timeline without "interpreting footage" first you are basically telling premiere to discard every other frame to maintain the clip length.

So, first select the clip and "interpret footage" (right click) as a 25p clip. You'll immediately notice that the clip length has doubled in your media browser. Then drop it in the 25p timeline and apply twixtor.