A7S Adaptors

ddire14

Hi, I have just purchased an A7S and i'm looking to buy an adaptor for my set of EF Samyang cine primes. I have read that people are having problems with the Metabones adaptor detaching etc. Does anyone have any experience using a passive/ dumb adaptor for EF lenses as I don't need an active mount with my Samyang lenses. 

While I am at it, can anyone recommend a good set of ND filters for my 4x4 matte box as I intend to shoot using s-log. (ISO 3200)

Cheers. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi ddire14,

As far as I've heard the issues with the metabones adapter have to do with the electronic communication between the lens and the body. The fully manual  Samyang lenses could not care less about those contacts. As for build construction, I use a metabones Nikon to E-mount for my Nikon mount Samyang lenses and have never had a problem. It is solid, with no wiggle and as tight as a native lens. MTF Services also makes a very good dumb EF to E-mount, but the price is in the ballpark of the Metabones...

Regarding filters, I use Tiffen circular screw-in filters and work great (also available in 4x4).

Yup, a good passive adapter is all you need for those Samyangs. What was said about the MFF Services above applies to Novoflex ones, too, pricey but well made. You get what you pay for. With the cheapest ones it's always a bit of a gamble. Some are crappier than others. I'd get a proper one for the A7s.

Speaking of passive adapters and ND filters in the same sentence, there is actually one rather interesting, albeit slightly bulkier solution for just that. Namely the Holy Manta VND adapter. That's basically a passive Canon EF to Sony E (or mFT) adapter with a slot for a variable ND filter mechanism.

Looks weird, but sounds brilliant in theory. I have no personal experience with one yet, but I think I'll give one a try later on. In case someone has already tried one, feel free to chime in. I read somewhere that vignetting should not be much of a problem even with a FF body, but suppose that remains to be confirmed.

If only they come up with the Metabones Speed Booster for BMPCC and the Holy Manta VND inside the same adapter...

That would be the killer app for BMPCC, wouldn't it. But I don't think there's enough room for both between the mounts. At least in the case of the Canon EF mount. 

But with the Metabones adaptor (EF to E-mount) mark III or IV, how does a OIS lens, such as the Tamron 24-70mm F2.8, performs in terms of stabilization with the A7s? As far as I know the AF is slow. I hope the rest is ok.

Hi, Thanks for the reply's. Do any of you know if any dumb EF to E-mount give the extra stop and curb the problem with the rolling shutter in ASP-C mode like the Metabones one does? I would be nice to know the cheaper options before I fork out the $400 on the Metabones adaptor. Cheers  

Hi, Thanks for the reply's. Do any of you know if any dumb EF to E-mount give the extra stop and curb the problem with the rolling shutter in ASP-C mode like the Metabones one does? I would be nice to know the cheaper options before I fork out the $400 on the Metabones adaptor. Cheers  

Hi ddire,

I think you got it wrong... The Metabones speedbooster has no effect on rolling shutter, and you don't need it to be "speedbooster". In order to reduce rolling shutter you just need to use the camera in APS-C mode. Works with any lens.

If you want to use Canon Glass on the A7S your options are:

1. Metabones Smart Adapter Mark IV: preserves the lens IS and AF (though AF is very slow) and there is no focal reduction. In Full Frame mode the FOV is FF and in APS-C it is APS-C.

2. Metabones EF to E-mount Speedbooster: no electronics, aperture is changed manually and it is a focal reducer, which means it can only be used in APS-C mode. It actually is designed to be used with APS-C sensors and full frame glass. It concentrates the light beam making the APS-C sensor behave like Full Frame in terms of field of view an DOF. As a "byproduct", the resulting concentrated beam is 1 stop brighter.

3. Dumb adapters: they are basically an aluminium alloy cilinder with an EF bayonet on one side and an E-Mount bayonet on the other. Their only mission is to compensate the different flange distance. They have no optical elements and do not correct or improve anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there, My A7S arrived yesterday cant wait to get going with it. I haven't bought any adapter yet just wondering if anyone has any update or the recommendations. As I said I only need a passive/ dumb adapter to work with my Samyang cine primes. Metabones seem very pricey especially considering I don't need any electronics in mine.  Anyone tried this one?http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1041731-REG/fotodiox_vzlx_thrtl_eos_nex_pro_vizelx_nd_throttle_adpter.html/prm/alsVwDtl  or some cheaper alternatives.

Thanks 

• Administrators

Hi, I have just purchased an A7S and i'm looking to buy an adaptor for my set of EF Samyang cine primes. I have read that people are having problems with the Metabones adaptor detaching etc. Does anyone have any experience using a passive/ dumb adaptor for EF lenses as I don't need an active mount with my Samyang lenses. 

While I am at it, can anyone recommend a good set of ND filters for my 4x4 matte box as I intend to shoot using s-log. (ISO 3200)

Cheers. 

Latest shipping Metabones Mk IV adapter works fine with my A7S. Just received it. They have squashed the bugs.

• 2 weeks later...

i purchased a Viltrox EF-NEX II adapter based on Matthew Allards recommendation - this is a fraction of the cost and performs consistently BETTER THAN (at least in terms of autofocus) the Metabones equivalent. i tested both side by side.. returning the Metabones.

This is good news indeed. I used my Metabones over the weekend and the amount of play is completely unacceptable for something that costs that much. Ordered a Viltrox. Is there any jiggle / play with the Viltrox?