Stabilized Lens choices for Sony A7S?

TravisKelleher

I was pretty close to buying a GH4, but now seeing what the A7S can do in low light has me thinking if I should buy the A7S in stead.

Are there any good, general zooms that are stabilized lens for the A7S E-mount?

​Would a stabilized lens from Canon or Nikon work on the A7S?

My work seems to gravitate towards live event shooting, places where available light is usually slim to none. As usually add light as needed via portable LED panels, for me this has always been less than ideal.

I'd like to let things flow naturally, and not shine a spotlight on my subjects.

I always feel like when I turn on a light it sends a "dance monkey, dance" type of vibe and it takes people out of the moment.

With the A7S, it looks as if it could be a game changer for me.

When I'm out shooting live events, such as a concert or wedding reception, I like to stick with one lens if possible.

Currently I shoot with a GH2 running the Apocalypse Now Driftwood cluster 7 hack.

My goto lens is the Panasonic 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 Leica D Vario-Elmarit Aspherical MEGA O.I.S.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was pretty close to buying a GH4, but now seeing what the A7S can do in low light has me thinking if I should buy the A7S in stead.

Are there any good, general zooms that are stabilized lens for the A7S E-mount?

​Would a stabilized lens from Canon or Nikon work on the A7S?

When I'm out shooting live events, such as a concert or wedding reception, I like to stick with one lens if possible.

There is the A7 kit lens (28-70 3.5-5.6), the 24-70 f4 and the 70-200 f4 in native FE lenses currently but in a few months (well 2014 on the Sony roadmap anyway and they have been good with it to date) should also be a 16-35 f4 and 28-135 f4 available all with stabilization.

If you are happy using APSC mode (great for video maybe not so great at around 5mp for stills) you can add all the APSC OSS lenses including a 50mm 1.8 prime that is cheap.

Canon IS works depending on the adapter though AF is pretty slow I believe, Nikon VR (and AF) does not work currently.

Sony/Minolta A mount lenses with stabilization (are there any?) will work via one of the LA-EA# adapters though AF wont be quite to the same level in low light.    Some of those adapters are APSC and some FF.     There are some Sigma stabilized A mount lenses that you could use with the LA-EA4 I think.

My only stabilized lens on my A7 is the kit lens and it is fine.    I take it to music gigs but don't use it much as I prefer to use fast legacy primes (for stills but dabbling in video).

• 2 months later...

"The Zeiss 24-70mm f4 OSS is available"

It is but with all the new E mount lenses unless you like the variable focus ring it uses it will drive you nuts. No two focus pulls will be the same and you cant set markers for planned pulls. I bought the Ziess 55mm 1.8 and the focus drives me crazy. While the focus ring itself is super smooth it just feels like the focus is just swimming out there somewhere and it you dont quite know when you will land it sharp. If you pull focus fast it might focus in 3cm of a turn. If you do the same focus pull slow the focus ring may need to go around a full turn. Crazy!!!!