Shooting video with the Sony A7S at Formula Drift

rdouthit

Here's my first run-and-gun video event with the Sony A7S. Overall, very happy with the capabilities of this camera. In shoots following this one, I've noticed a significant improvement in video quality when using 30p vs. 60p. Note that footage in this piece was filmed at 1080/60p and super-slomo was filmed at 720/120p. Final file was edited in a 1080/30p timeline and exported as a 720/30p. No, I will not make the master available for download so you can pixel peep at it. ;)

Lenses include the Tamron SP f/2.8 70-200 in A-Mount (with the LEA4) and Sony Zeiss FE f/4 24-70 (stabilization off). Sound courtesy of a Rode Videomic. Since filming this I added a Tamron SP f/2.8 24-70 to my kit so both lenses will focus the same direction (you can probably tell I missed a few because of this.) I did quite a lot of this video with the 70-200 handheld on a small Jag35 rig.  

One major annoyance is that the record button is too easy to inadvertently hit while filming. I missed a couple shots because of this. It should be placed where the C2 custom button is located (like on the A77) or I should be able to remap record to the photo trigger (duh.)

Rolling shutter wasn't an issue.

Here's the video: http://dspor.tv/1uvZRGm

Alternative link: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2291i5_sideways-in-seattle-formula-drift-round-5_auto

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Whatever that link was did no play in HD

The player auto detects your bandwidth and plays HD when possible via RTMP or HLS depending on your device. However, I have added an alternative DailyMotion link to the original post if you want to be able to force a resolution.