Sony A7S 120fps slow-mo at ISO 12,800

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

I shot 'Nomad' with my friend Susanna and the Sony A7S a few days ago, in 120fps slow-mo mode.

Light sources were only a candle, iPhone torch and an old industrial German desk lamp with red filter on the front. I am amazed at the clean results. ISO levels were pushing on for 12,800 in most of the shots.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

http://vimeo.com/101671878

I shot 'Nomad' with my friend Susanna and the Sony A7S a few days ago, in 120fps slow-mo mode.

Light sources were only a candle, iPhone torch and an old industrial German desk lamp with red filter on the front. I am amazed at the clean results. ISO levels were pushing on for 12,800 in most of the shots.

Read the full article here

I like that.

Wonder how the camera would go with a 720nm IR filter on a fast lens?      I think it might be good enough to use one unmodified and still be able to use the EVF.       I can do that now almost with a normal A7 (though video would be much better with the a7s).    

Wou I would write off A7s completely if I had to choose based on this video.

Im sure all eoshd fanboys will speak highly about it, but what the heck, they are fanboys after all.

Seriously, this video could have been done with iphone 5s and there would be no difference. 

You are very interesting when it come to theory, analyzing pros and cons of equipment but in practice world you should stop making videos like this...

Love it.  Thanks for making something more experimental with this camera to show how its capabilities can shine to creative effect.  These are exactly the aspects of the camera (low light sensitivity, high frame rates and, of course, FF look) that I am excited about with this camera.  I wish I could afford to be a plus member on Vimeo so that I could see it without Vimeo compression as it looks noisier than it surely is straight off the camera.  Thanks, Andrew!    

PS - just read Baltic's comment.  Not to be confused with a EOSHD "fanboy," my comment is purely in response to seeing someone use the camera's functionality in a more experimental way.  I've been boring myself silly watching all the lovely but uninspiring shots of streets, skies, leaves, etc. and simply appreciate getting to look at the cameras capabilities in a different setting.  

'Nuff said.  Hope this thread stays on track.  Best wishes to all in expressing their widely divergent responses to blog posts everywhere.   :)

You are very interesting when it come to theory, analyzing pros and cons of equipment but in practice world you should stop making videos like this...

People say that content is king.  I totally agree.  Some people say that the A7s while great, when will someone really use the low light ability of the camera?  All, I can say is check out this video.  If you think this video is awesome, then the A7s makes sense.  The more reading that I do between this camera and the gh4, it looks like the gh4 will be the better camera for most people.

Wou I would write off A7s completely if I had to choose based on this video.

Im sure all eoshd fanboys will speak highly about it, but what the heck, they are fanboys after all.

Seriously, this video could have been done with iphone 5s and there would be no difference. 

How are you going to make a video with an iPhone at ISO 12,800?

Michael

How are you going to make a video with an iPhone at ISO 12,800?

Michael

Why would anyone shoot at iso 12,800? It's totally unusable for any prosumer use, judging by the look of this video.

For my Iphone remark, if you want 120fps to be soft & noisy and without any colors that would push bitrate (like this video clip), you could use iphone not A7s...

Why would anyone shoot at iso 12,800? It's totally unusable for any prosumer use, judging by the look of this video.

iso 12,800 is absolutely fine A7s. This video is in crop mode with line skipping. 24-30 fps iso 12,800 is just fine. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

OK fine the Iphone can produce the same results. Move on.

I really like the results and for 12800 ISO this opens an enormous room for creative possibilities.

WOW...

You removed removed Nog and Baltic. I guess Lincoln was right in that if you want to test a man's character, give him power. I can't talk about over threads, but in this Thread those 2 guys were giving their opinions and frankly I think they had a point. I'm not a fan of that video either, that does not make you a rubbish filmmaker. You just made a piece  that some like and some other don't. 

Please feel free to also remove my account if you also think that I'm causing trouble. You will then just have lost all credibility to me.

Regards...

Anytime you make something outside of "safe" and "norm" you'll get critics.  People tend to respond adversely to that which they're not familiar.  Why does Nog say he's not a fan of this look?  No freaking clue.  What's not to like? ... or really, what's to like?  I mean, the piece is 100% experimental with not plot, or story or point really.  How can you have such a strong opinion about it unless you want to cause trouble?  I don't mind it at all.  Why would I?  Is it great? Will I share it with friends?... nope.   Do I hate it... no way!  Actually, I kind of dig the music.  If I was into checking out the low light ability of the camera with my friends I would certainly share it.  But I'm not.  I'll stop ranting......... now.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

General life advice: if you join a community, start by insulting all the members by calling them fanboys/lier followers, you'll probably get banned. 

It's as if people don't comprehend the basics of proper manner anymore. And certainly don't comprehend the difference between insult and criticism.

Most of us criticize Andrew's (and eachother's) work all the time (including myself, saying once his short is terrible and includes everything I hate about film), do we get banned? No. Because we criticize properly, which is say what we don't like, and what should be done to improve the work, not order eachother to stop making films. 

______

Providing incorrect information everytime you open your mouth doesn't help either. 

People come here to gather quality knowledge, correct information, and spend a good time in a nice, friendly atmosphere where they can discuss their passion about filmmaking. Members like these providing wrong information decrease the quality of the forum, and result in readers walking away from EOSHD with polluted information and a load of utter nonsense. 

I am not a fan of this video but it would not be a reason for me buying or not buying the camera. All these test are is clever advertising. What I find in forums is some are allowed to voice there oppinions and some are not no matter relevance of what they say.