C100 video

I just watched this video and it convinced me that the C100 is still far and away the best all-round moving-image camera under $5000.

The image is just awesome despite the specs and there are no compromises with functionality (apart from the poor EVF - does anyone use the C100's EVF effectively on a regular basis?).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

the C100 is still far and away the best all-round moving-image camera under $5000.

It's also most expensive camera under 5000$ :D

It would be more interesting if it would be for example:

- the best all-round moving-image camera over 5000$

or at least

- the best all-round moving-image camera under 10000$

It's easy to beat only cheaper cameras...

It's also most expensive camera under 5000$ :D

It would be more interesting if it would be for example:

- the best all-round moving-image camera over 5000$

or at least

- the best all-round moving-image camera under 10000$

It's easy to beat only cheaper cameras...

Well this is exactly my point really. There is frequent talk about the C100 being overpriced and the specs looking rather dated and ungenerous, but if the image and/or functionality is significantly better than the competition (e.g. A7s, GH4, Blackmagic), even if they are half the price or less, to some degree it "justifies" its price. 

Basically what I'm saying is that despite the recent leap in hybrid-camera video quality, the C100 still isn't looking that silly at its price point. I'd love someone to show me some A7s footage with colours to match those in this video, but I haven't seen any yet.

I have it because it's the best 1080p image in a sensible easy-to-use camera body, at a good price.

Stick a Ninja 2 on it and it beats C300...

I don't need 4K or high speed for most work, so this is the workhorse, and it's beautiful footage to look at and use.

It's not perfect, but hey, nothing is.

If this were an A7S video you would say something about colors or skin tones being off :) But seriously, nice video even though the quality of the grades was a bit uneven. 70% of it looks really nice, the other 30% has this green cast, especially on people's skin.

I had a C100 and that was C-Log. It was very "greenish" out of the box and I had to dial it back. I wasn't a fan really of how desaturated it handled green also. Limitation of 8-bit I assumed, because 5D3 raw has so much color it's almost dimensional. 14-bit though:)

You need to add a Ninja if you want to do any more than the lightest grade.

There is not much point in comparing the C100 to RAW - that's not what the camera is about. But for such low bitrate it gives very, very lovely colour, detail, DR and ISO performance. 

Personally I don't like going nuts with grading - if I shot RAW I would grade to something similar to the OP video. So there isn't much to complain about from my point of view.

I had a C100 and that was C-Log. It was very "greenish" out of the box and I had to dial it back. I wasn't a fan really of how desaturated it handled green also. Limitation of 8-bit I assumed, because 5D3 raw has so much color it's almost dimensional. 14-bit though:)

Thats not a condition of just the C100, C-LOG in general IS greenish with low saturation. Nothing to do with Compression codecs etc etc. Ive recorded 12bit LOG in DPX and its greenish and desaturated.

Cheers

I dialed it out with a personal log profile. I had a Ninja 2 with mine, but I just HAAAD to get on the raw wagon. I got a Bmcc with a rig and all the trimmings...which is a wake up call when you go from almost zero noise, to noise in everything. I loved 12 bit raw and the freedom it gave, but the noise was bad. Believe me in retrospect, I'd build a time machine just to kick my ass the day I sold it. It just got out of the way. Here's a video from both:

C100:

Blackmagic 2.5k

I have it because it's the best 1080p image in a sensible easy-to-use camera body, at a good price.

Stick a Ninja 2 on it and it beats C300...

I don't need 4K or high speed for most work, so this is the workhorse, and it's beautiful footage to look at and use.

It's not perfect, but hey, nothing is.

Hey JG, do you use the C100 EVF at all? If so, how do find it to use?

C100 is the camera that proves you should never buy anything on specs alone. If you design your own profiles you can even do quite heavy grades in AVCHD!

And design them you can, with full control over colour matrices, setup level, and tons more. Proper pro stuff...

So to dial out the green, start with a C-log profile and try this:

Matrix G-B    +5

Matrix B-R     -5

Matrix G-B     -5

WB Red Gain      +1

WB Blue Gain      +1

Adjust to taste.

I don't really use EVF TBH, it seems to be a little funky.

I can get better images with a Canon 5D mark III in raw mode

Go on then. Take a trip to a wilderness like Alaska and shoot enough RAW footage to pull out images like that while also hiking up mountains and camping wild. And then put the edit together and grade it within a week of getting back. 

Images are about more than technical quality. You have to capture them first.