GH3 / GH4 'in camera corrections'

Stab

I recently bought a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and my friend bought the Lumix 12-35mm and the 35-100mm.

We both use the GH3 when we shoot weddings together, and use the exact same picture styles. (a custom picture style based on natural with sharpness at -4)

What I noticed after comparing several clips, is that the Sigma 18-35mm is not as sharp / crisp as the Lumix lenses. Not even in the center, and I'm using a Metabones Speed Booster.

I thought that, at least in theory, the lenses would be pretty equal in terms of sharpness from the reviews I've read.. Now I don't really mind this because I actually like the slightly softer look from the Sigma in comparison with the almost 'clinically sharp' Lumix lenses. But I just wonder if there is something wrong with my copy of the lens or the Speed Booster.

Or is it because the GH3 'optimizes' the Lumix lenses with electronic corrections that you can't turn off or whatever. Mind you, my clips are still pretty sharp but when compared directly to the clips shot with the Lumix lenses, they don't pack the same punch.

Any explantions or possible causes? Or are the Lumix lenses just that good?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was told by one of the main guys at B and H that you simply cannot get any sharper than than the 12-35mm for Lumix. I believe anything native will inherently have the edge (on sharpness). The look is something else all together, but no doubt you could tweak the 12-35 and make it look less video-ish..too bad the lens isn't faster.

I was told by one of the main guys at B and H that you simply cannot get any sharper than than the 12-35mm for Lumix. I believe anything native will inherently have the edge (on sharpness). The look is something else all together, but no doubt you could tweak the 12-35 and make it look less video-ish..too bad the lens isn't faster.

How would you "tweak the 12-35" to make it look less video-ish?

Michael

Maybe he means adjusting the picture profile,ya know setting it natural dial down the sharpness to -5.  I like to shoot with natural, -3,-5,0,-3  if it's a dreary day I might put the contrast back up a bit.  

I was thinking about getting into weddings as well I'm a bit concerned as some reception venues can be pretty low light, have you ran into any issues where you've been forced to use a higher ISO then you'd have liked? I mean your friend in particular, I think you'd be good with the sigma and speedbooster...you might want to have your friend pick up something like a lens turbo & a samyang/rokinon 35mm just have in case the lights go too low.

Electronic corrections for m4/3 only corrects geometric distortions and vignetting. Panasonic lenses on Panasonic bodies also correct for lateral chromatic aberrations.

In your case, you're right that there is something wrong with either the Speed Booster or the Sigma. If you have a plain adapter or a camera with the Sigma's native lens mount, test the lens on its own first.

I own the 12-35, and love the lens, but it's definitely not the sharpest. There're quite a few native lenses that can outperform the 12-35.

Maybe he means adjusting the picture profile,ya know setting it natural dial down the sharpness to -5.  I like to shoot with natural, -3,-5,0,-3  if it's a dreary day I might put the contrast back up a bit.  

I was thinking about getting into weddings as well I'm a bit concerned as some reception venues can be pretty low light, have you ran into any issues where you've been forced to use a higher ISO then you'd have liked? I mean your friend in particular, I think you'd be good with the sigma and speedbooster...you might want to have your friend pick up something like a lens turbo & a samyang/rokinon 35mm just have in case the lights go too low.

Yes f2.8 is too slow for dark scenes during weddings. ISO 1600 is the max I want to go with the GH3, and f2.8 simply doesn't cut it.

The Sigma 18-35 with the Speed Booster has effectively an aperture f1.2, which is much much better.

Yes..picture profile and of course post pro..You will need much more post if you use native lenses..if you want that "filmic" look..sorry to use that banned word :)

The Olympus 75mm 1.8 is sharp as hell..no stabilization but great reach

Panny/Leica 42.5mm is even sharper and has OIS, however its $1,600 (this might be the best lens right now for 4/3 native)

Voightlander 17.5mm 0.95 stopped down to 1.4 is very sharp..but looks really cool wide open..no stabilization but has the look you want