Evolving Sony A7S Review (Part 1)

Andrew Reid

• 7 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 4 weeks later...

Shot with Sony A7S + Atomos Shogun + Zeiss Contax + Laing M30p Steadicam + Motion Dogs Lenzhound. Graded with Filmconvert Pro, Vision Color Luts and Lumetri 2015

Shot with Sony A7S + Atomos Shogun + Zeiss Contax + Laing M30p Steadicam + Motion Dogs Lenzhound. Graded with Filmconvert Pro, Vision Color Luts and Lumetri 2015​

• 5 months later...

I've had my A7s for nearly one year now.

I still say the GH4 is a better camera in every way but low light performance.

Because I hate hours of post processing nothing shot internally with the A7s is as good as the GH4 in good light.

I had to buy an Odyssey 7Q+ in order to bring the A7s to life and to record continuously. The 4k DownRes to 1080P30 (even ProRes LT) is many times better than anything internal.

The GH4 will record 3 hours continuous on one stock battery. The A7s needs a dummy/external battery and external recorder.

The GH4 + three lens and everything I need for a week trip will fit in my smallest bag.

The A7s + 28-135 Cine, 4k recorder and external batteries fills my biggest bag for a few hour shoot. I also need a very heavy TriPod.

Recently, I "upgraded" to the A7sII. If you shoot hand held, I recommend it for you.

I sent mine back and kept the A7s.

The 4k internal is not as good as the GH4 internal in good light.

Because the 1080P120 is shot in 2.2 crop, it is full of moire at 6400 ISO. I need 8000 ISO in that mode because of the poor conditions I have to shoot in without supplemental light.

The GH5 should be announced next month, but what I am wishing for is a CamCorder with A7s or better Sensor.