Grading the Sony A7S with S-LOG 2 and some EOSHD cinematic looks for download

Andrew Reid

have u thought about the tamron 24-70mm stabilized lens? Tamron has gotten some good reviews for that lens

Hi shootsharp,

Yes I did, I know that's an excellent lens, I tried it out on a D800 a while back - but it has an 82mm thread - which means I would need a new filters all around - I'm on a tight budget here,

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...

Again what do you think about stabilisation issue? Any suggestions to solve shake efects when you havno tripod with you.

Anyway Andrew your  post is fantastic :) Right now I am going to make test

with my a7S i have discovered using a monopod is handy. but then so is switching to aps-c mode and using a stabilized lens. its pretty much the same as any other camera, except the full frame mode is very prone to rolling shutter. 

ps, to the moderator, in a "late night idiot" moment i accidentally clicked "report" post instead of "quote". this was an honest mistake. sorry :-(

"The A7S is without a shadow of a doubt the best camera right now for the money."

Seems like the Blackmagic Pocket Camera at under $500 would get that title, especially with ProRes and RAW recording at that price point.

I can confirm that the BMPCC and the a7S cut together REALLY well when the a7S is used in slog2. i will be posting a short promo i filmed with both shortly, but suffice to say i'm so happy to have both. they play together very nicely

Argh. I want to like this camera so much but the colours are still bothering me a lot. This footage is some of the punchiest/most saturated I've seen but the colours do not imo come close to 5D RAW. They look cruder and significantly more artificial.

but that could be due to the grade, that doesn't mean its the camera. while i applaud Andrew Reid for making these LUT's, and i've tested them, i also have to admit that i don't care for them. i prefer the look of the KinoLUT for the a7S. 

regardless, its worth giving it a chance. i love mine and can testify that the colors are very flexible, and its up the user what you do with them

Is there a difference between grading Technicolor Cinestyle and S-Log?

not sure what you mean by that question. you balance your color and adjust your exposure just like any other footage. then you apply a lut or grade. maybe could you ask a more specific question?

does it behave differently? absolutely. no 2 cameras will behave the same when you break it down. the bmpcc has a slight red shift compared to the a7S for example. but outside of that not sure what you are asking. 

ummm... technicolor isn't a true log i think, so that may be something you have to keep in mind. canon footage shot in cinestyle will have a lot more grain IMHO, i have used technicolor cinestyle with my old canon's before i moved to sony and blackmagic, and i always had issues getting what i wanted. but then your mileage and skill may vary. 

• 2 months later...

"The A7S is without a shadow of a doubt the best camera right now for the money."

Seems like the Blackmagic Pocket Camera at under $500 would get that title, especially with ProRes and RAW recording at that price point.

BOOOO, NAAAAAY, NOOOOO! That camera is irrelevant now as far as Im concerned. Why did it become $500? Because they couldnt sell it well enough in a market flooded with BETTER, just as affordable cameras. I had that camera and sold it within 3 months of having it. The A7s is more expensive but for a reason..the price is relative to its feature set and is still cheap for what it offers in my opinion.

• 1 month later...