Contax/Yashica Zeiss with Anamorphic (Kowa 16H/8Z)?

Caleb Genheimer

Hey, All!

Does anyone have experience using a Kowa with Zeiss C/Y lenses? I've recently purchased an AEG 85mm f1.4 and a 50mm AEJ f1.4, both of which are in-transit. I know that for non-scope work, they're tough to beat image quality-wise, but do they play nice with anamorphics? 

Just curious if anyone has any examples of this type of anamorphic combo. I poked around a bit and didn't really find anything.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You won't have any flares, that's for shure.

Also these zeiss lenses, or at least the 85, have a very big front element which doesn't work that good toghether with anamorphics (at least with mine). The planar 50 1.7 should work perfectly fine if you like plastic bokeh.

You won't have any flares, that's for shure.

Also these zeiss lenses, or at least the 85, have a very big front element which doesn't work that good toghether with anamorphics (at least with mine). The planar 50 1.7 should work perfectly fine if you like plastic bokeh.

I don't think so.  At least better than ISCO integrated lens.  16H can be used with under 80mm still perfect, till to 70mm on FF.

gallery_34324_122_2726.jpg

Oh, trust me, I know ;) Kowa 16-H is the best bar-none. I've got a 37mm MIR-1b, a Konica 40mm as well as 24mm lenses in FD mount from Canon and Tamron . . . so I know how wide it can go. My plan is to eventually snag a 35mm f1.4 C/Y Zeiss, as well as a longer lens (probably the f2.0 135mm) . . . along with an appropriate speedbooster from Metabones. 5 lenses from 35-135mm strikes me as a pretty complete set, and with the speedboster, it's kinda like having 10 lenses.

I'm also in the final stages of development on a wireless follow-focus system that sync-focuses the prime and the Kowa, using Arduino-controlled stepper motors commanded by an Android app. But I'm keeping it mostly under wraps until such time as it's fully functional, at which time I'll do a nice write-up with instructions to make your own.

if you want a flare/ stylised arty match for your Kowa get a Carl Zeiss 50mm f1.8 Planar in Rollei QBM mount the 70s versions are single coated and flare like a Helios with an anamorphic .The  Zeiss /Contax Yashicas are superb lenses, as you know I have been banging on about these on this forum , I like them alot , but the Rollei QBMs flare better due to this single coating (dont get the newer QBMs marked HFT as these are multicoated like Zeiss T^

have fun QBMs are great lenses very sharp but full of character and style we all like

this is the older version

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rollei-QBM-Carl-Zeiss-Planar-50mm-f-1-8-for-Rolleiflex-SL35-/321463244890?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item4ad8b3d85a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rollei-Planar-50mm-1-8-lens-for-Rollei-SL-and-DSLR-fit-/160918667287?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item2577800017

I don't need flares, I could care less about flares (which means I actually care at least a little bit)

In my experience, EVERYTHING flares, it's just a matter of how hard you've gotta hit it in the face.

The lenses arrived today, and holy smokes are they awesome. A very lazy test with the 50mm tells me they'll work fine with the KOWA. I get some fringing and hazing wide open, with or without the Kowa, but down at f2.8 things start to get sharp, and by f4 (my favorite stop most of the time), they're gorgeous.

I understand what people say, that simpler optics "work better" with anamorphics... But I'm not sure that's 100% true. I have the Konica 40mm f1.8, which (other than the Helios) is the most lauded lens for Kowa pairing... It works well, yes, but it's just not a solid, dependable lens like these Zeiss bad boys. I also have a suspicion that my Tokina diopter could improve things somewhat, and possibly a speedbooster could too, who knows.

I was planing to buy the f1.4 version but then ended up buying the f1.7 MM version with a late 8xxxxx serial number, which is supposedly optically improved, in a mint condition as some say that wide open it is sharper than its super fast brother. Another thing that I like about this lens is that you can use half stops on the aperture scale. You don't have to jump from f1.7 to 2.8.

RJ lens turbo will arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to test it :)