A7s – Lens recommendations for ex MFT guy

chrischart

Hi,

Just when I was about the buy a GH4, along came a load of A7s footage that I have absolutely fallen for.

I've come from shooting with MFT cameras and glass – Gh2 and BMCC with various SLR Magic and Voigtlander lenses. I'm now thinking of getting rid of the lot to make way for a decent A7s setup. Problem is, I'm not at all familiar with whats hot and whats not with the raft a lenses that can be used with this camera.

Like with my old Gh2, I'd like a versatile zoom lens, with a bunch of decent primes – You guys have any recommendations? 

It's worth noting that I'm buying from a stopped-start, so I need to also decide whether to go Canon or Nikon.

Also, those Holymanta VNDs any good? I'm always shooting indoors and out, so would be good to not keep messing around with lens mounted variable NDs – Especially with with the base ISO when shooting S-Log2 being 3200, right?

Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Go for Canon. The adapter takes Nikon adapter rings. A Nikon adapter does not take Canon adapter rings.

Besides the Canon L range on the whole is stronger than Nikon equivalent.

Voigltander 35mm F1.2 you will enjoy on the A7S if you liked the Nokton lenses on your GH2. That is Leica M mount and not cheap but worth it.

If you need stabilisation, Canon ultra sonic stabilised lenses like the 35mm F2 IS and 100mm F2.8L IS Macro are the best.

Also this guide will definitely help - http://www.eoshd.com/eoshd-shooters-guide-sony-a7-a7r-lenses

• Administrators

Yes Speed Booster in APS-C mode works fine, nice with lenses like the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 and for when you want reduced rolling shutter or 60p while maintaining high detail levels. 60p in full frame mode is soft and moire-ridden!

• Administrators

EF 24-105 F4L is a bit soft and has a lot of distortion. Not recommended. The Sigma ART version is better.

The 15-85 won't cover the full frame sensor, avoid all EF-S lenses.

The EF 24-70mm F2.8 is pretty nice, get the mark 1 as it's much cheaper.

The Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 is similar in terms of optical performance believe it or not, for much less money, but the build quality sucks.

Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC is also worth a look as it has stabilisation and is very similar to the Mark II Canon equivalent optically.

So in terms of a workhorse zoom, would you recommend the zeiss 24-70 kit lens, or something from Canon or Sigma?

Here's some of the lenses I'm spying;

EF 24-105mm f/4

EF-S 15-85 f/3.5-5.6

EF 24-70mm f2/8

Sigma 24-70 f2.8

Don't overlook the humble A7 kit lens.     Is quite good on the normal A7 and I think would be great on the A7s.

It is not constant speed like the 24-70 and you lose 24-28 but you could always use it as a 5.6 constant speed zoom (that would be similar to a 2.8 zoom with m4/3) and have faster 3.5 at the short end.    It beats the 24-70 in some ways and the AF is ok on the normal A7 so should be excellent on the S (if you want AF).     Stabilization is nice as well.

I also like FD L lenses, the 85 1.2 and 24 1.4 on the A7 in particular for stills and also seem great for video (video newbie here).

The thing I like about FD L lenses is they are optically close to the EF lenses in some ways but you can use them across formats with really cheap simple adapters.    Some of the FD 85 1.2 lenses were made after some of the older EF ones you might find on the likes of EBAY.

Hey Chris!

Looks like we're both going the same way cam wise so we can swap tips over cold, frosty, delicious beers.

I was considering the 24-70 L f4 IS  as a standard lens. The sensitivity of the camera should make up for the loss of a stop, and I find myself wanting f4 DOF a lot of the time anyway.

Main thing is IS though, I find it so helpful and it beats warping in post!

Thing is i don't know about the optical quality, perhaps someone else here knows? I've seen some positive reviews.

If only this camera had six-axis sensor stabilisation too eh?

JG, old bean!

I'm pleased to hear you are swinging the same way. Cold, frosty, delicious beers will all the more enjoyable when nattering about this little beauty, i'm sure. 

The order has been places for the A7s – I'm still stuck on which lens to get. I'm getting some great advice from people on the forum, but I have so little experience with non MFT glass that, it's hard to make a call.

The 24-70 L f4 was on my list, but the lower f stop is swaying me to Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC... The juries still out on that one.

Do you plan to go for a speed booster and use it in APS-C mode or a standard metabones? 

Decisions, decisions.

Guys I have many M42 lenses and the A7s is the camera I'd like to buy. 
One question: Is there a compatible M42 - E-mount adaptor to cover the A7s full frame sensor?
There are many M42/Nex cheap adaptor on internet but I don't know whether or not they work with Nex (Apsc) cameras only.
If not with one adaptor, is there a way to fit a M42 lens in an A7s body (maybe with 2 adaptors)?
can someone recommend to me the best way? Thanks!

Guys I have many M42 lenses and the A7s is the camera I'd like to buy. 
One question: Is there a compatible M42 - E-mount adaptor to cover the A7s full frame sensor?
There are many M42/Nex cheap adaptor on internet but I don't know whether or not they work with Nex (Apsc) cameras only.
If not with one adaptor, is there a way to fit a M42 lens in an A7s body (maybe with 2 adaptors)?
can someone recommend to me the best way? Thanks!

The E mount is the same regardless.    ALL the simple adapters listed as for NEX work with the A7 (maybe not some of the Sony LA-EA# ones though).      It is the lenses that may or may not cover the full sensor of FF.      Most normal E mount lenses do not fully cover the FF sensor.     Some of them do.     The Samyang/Rokinon/whatever lenses do cover the full frame sensor as do those labelled FE.     Some of the normal E mount Sony lenses cover the FF sensor at least in part.

FF legacy lenses with simple adapters (like most if not all M42) will cover the full sensor.      I use m42 lens to Pentax K adapters in a Pentax K to NEX adapter for my A7 (though have recently sold most of my m42 lenses and only have a couple of old oddball lenses left in m42).

JG, old bean!

I'm pleased to hear you are swinging the same way. Cold, frosty, delicious beers will all the more enjoyable when nattering about this little beauty, i'm sure. 

The order has been places for the A7s – I'm still stuck on which lens to get. I'm getting some great advice from people on the forum, but I have so little experience with non MFT glass that, it's hard to make a call.

The 24-70 L f4 was on my list, but the lower f stop is swaying me to Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC... The juries still out on that one.

Do you plan to go for a speed booster and use it in APS-C mode or a standard metabones? 

Decisions, decisions.

Speed booster and APSC most of the time, due to reduced rolling shutter and better 60p mode. I also find focussing full frame for video pretty hard if I'm honest.

I've never used a Tamron in anger so I'm a bit suspicious. They could be good though... but L lenses are weather sealed...

Does anyone know if Metabones speedbooster effectively breaks weather seal between A7S and Canon L?

Speed booster and APSC most of the time, due to reduced rolling shutter and better 60p mode. I also find focussing full frame for video pretty hard if I'm honest.

I've never used a Tamron in anger so I'm a bit suspicious. They could be good though...

Cool.

Will shooting in APSC mode affect the cameras low light capabilities?

The E mount is the same regardless.    ALL the simple adapters listed as for NEX work with the A7 (maybe not some of the Sony LA-EA# ones though).      It is the lenses that may or may not cover the full sensor of FF.      Most normal E mount lenses do not fully cover the FF sensor.     Some of them do.     The Samyang/Rokinon/whatever lenses do cover the full frame sensor as do those labelled FE.     Some of the normal E mount Sony lenses cover the FF sensor at least in part.

FF legacy lenses with simple adapters (like most if not all M42) will cover the full sensor.      I use m42 lens to Pentax K adapters in a Pentax K to NEX adapter for my A7 (though have recently sold most of my m42 lenses and only have a couple of old oddball lenses left in m42).

Thanks Noone!
So I'll buy the cheapest M42/Nex adapter on internet. It should be fine, I think.

... but L lenses are weather sealed...

Does anyone know if Metabones speedbooster effectively breaks weather seal between A7S and Canon L?

The L lenses might be but the A7 series cameras are not.

They are listed as dust and moisture resistant but I would not consider them weather sealed.

I have used my A7 (ordinary version) in light rain for an hour or so with a non sealed lens and plastic bag over the lens and mount.

After an hour or so it stated playing up (seemed to be shorting out) so I turned it off and got it home and dried it out and it is fine.

Water could have got in any of the doors (none of them are really sealed).

I think it safest to consider the cameras as not being sealed but might be ok with care if caught in light rain or dusty environment.

Maybe the A7s has a little more protection though maybe not.       Has anyone got an A7s and either A7/a7R to compare??

• 3 weeks later...

It's a shame the FE system standard zoom lenses are sucky.

Look at the horror bokeh here on 24 to 70 f4

http://www.photozone.de/sonyalphaff/867-zeiss2470f4oss?start=2

Also bags of distortion.

The 18 to 105 F4 APSC should be ideal, but have obscene distortion:

I dunno what the excuse is. They aren't actually designing for very short flange, there's a big gap at the back of the E/FE lenses so they don't need extreme correction at the edges. The quality sucks compares to the old Contax Zeiss but apparently it's the same company.

The standard zooms are all overpriced and poor performers either in speed or quality. Very sad...

If you're willing to go full manual with vintage prime lenses, since the A7s is full frame, take a look at these double gauss lenses (see "History of Double Gauss Lens Designs" section), many of which you can get for a steal on ebay. I'm partial to Zeiss, not a controversial choice, but you have tons of options. The Zuiko 40mm f2 auto-s is a lens I'd love to see on the A7s, although not cheap.