How does a C100 Mark II or C300 OG hold up against modern 10 bit codecs

FHDcrew

@kye ..why don't you compare it to a GoPro again? 🤣

I repeat for the millionth time:

On 11/16/2022 at 2:32 PM, Django said:

..and again the C100 has built-in NDs, fan, all day battery life, WFM assist tools etc. even when stripped down.

Rigging the equivalent on a large sensor mirrorless will not be smaller or lighter, hence my point withstands. 

I don't see how I could be any clearer but you conveniently leave out my clarifications every time only to keep arguing about unrelated camera specs. The images and dimension/weight info you found are indeed not telling the truth since you'd have to rig up those DSLRs substantially to get equivalent cine cam specs.

I've even posted pics of rigged up R5C & Z6 to further prove my point.. but I'm the one that has trouble "comparing objects in photographs"? you sure about that lol.

I'm not trying to get under your skin but again you present just a bunch of unrelated armchair data that miss the point entirely. 

FYI I've owned the C100 and the 5D3 together, shot with them for years so I really do know what I'm talking about.

Bringing up your GH5 in every topic doesn't make you any more of an expert on gear you've never used before.

Nothing personal, relax. Just stating the obvious, no need for further arguments on said topic.

2 minutes ago, FHDcrew said:

This is hilarious. I intended this to be about how the C100/C300 codec holds up in 2022. We are talking about something SO DIFFERENT now

Welcome to EOSHD, where all topics lead back to Lumix cameras.. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
9 minutes ago, FHDcrew said:

This is hilarious. I intended this to be about how the C100/C300 codec holds up in 2022.

Amongst the plethora of "Is xyz camera still worth it in 2022?" with shocked thumbnail videos on YouTube, there are a fair few with the C100 and C300 in them.

This is an interesting example of one comparing it against the known modernish entity of the P4K.

29 minutes ago, Django said:

@kye ..why don't you compare it to a GoPro again? 🤣

I repeat for the millionth time:

I don't see how I could be any clearer but you conveniently leave out my clarifications every time only to keep arguing about unrelated camera specs. The images and dimension/weight info you found are indeed not telling the truth since you'd have to rig up those DSLRs substantially to get equivalent cine cam specs.

I've even posted pics of rigged up R5C & Z6 to further prove my point.. but I'm the one that has trouble "comparing objects in photographs"? you sure about that lol.

I'm not trying to get under your skin but again you present just a bunch of unrelated armchair data that miss the point entirely. 

FYI I've owned the C100 and the 5D3 together, shot with them for years so I really do know what I'm talking about.

Bringing up your GH5 in every topic doesn't make you any more of an expert on gear you've never used before.

Nothing personal, relax. Just stating the obvious, no need for further arguments on said topic.

Welcome to EOSHD, where all topics lead back to Lumix cameras.. 

Well, if I can't talk about cameras I haven't used, don't get to join the discussion even if I bring facts, and can't talk about the ones I do have, I guess you're banning me from having any involvement at all?

I mean, you are the internet police, right?

37 minutes ago, kye said:

Well, if I can't talk about cameras I haven't used, don't get to join the discussion even if I bring facts, and can't talk about the ones I do have, I guess you're banning me from having any involvement at all?

I mean, you are the internet police, right?

Calm down, no I'm not the police. It's called forum netiquette. Even the OP is confused about the direction his own thread has taken. What does a GH5 have to do with C100/C300 question? Why continually argue against a point I clearly detailed with pics and everything concerning cameras I've actually owned and worked with?

It seems like you enjoy making these threads about you and your camera. It's just not necessary. All the armchair arguments, the passive aggressive comments. It's not a discussion anymore, it becomes a monologue. Even right now, we're wasting bandwidth talking about you it seems, your hurt feelings and playing the victim as if I were the bully. It's quite tiring frankly. Nobody cares, it's just cluttering the thread.

Just put all that aside, no need to argue further. Try and stay on topic. I'm done with this back & forth.

On 11/12/2022 at 3:02 PM, FHDcrew said:

If I went fro my Nikon Z6 10 bit NLOG to say the C300’s 8 bit 50mbps image, would I lose much you think?  Or if I got the c100 mark II and paired it with my Atomos ninja star to record 8 bit 4:2:2 prores in clog1?

Getting back to your original question, as I'm not even sure its been answered since we got side tracked on camera size, here is my opinion. On a pure codec level in between the C300 50mbps 422 internal codec and the C100 mk2 35mbps 420 codec there is going to be an obvious difference, now if you record to your Atomos in 422 well the playing field is a lot more even between those two cams. Especially if you record in ProRes that's a lot chunkier of a codec then the small bitrate internal 35/50mbps mp4 codecs.

This all tilts in the favour of the C100 mk2 as its also cheaper, smaller & has DPAF (remember its an option on C300). 

But now the greater question is how does it hold up to a Z6 in 10-bit Nlog? You have to look at resolution (4K vs 4K downsampled FHD), DR, color science before even comparing the 8-bit vs 10-bit codecs. And to answer that one, how heavy do you grade? Because 8-bit is 8-bit even in 422. You won't be achieving miracles in post..

As I said before, it is a "fast turn around" camera, with a weak codec, but that's the beauty of it, the simplicity. Stick an 18-135 or an 24-105 and shoot all day..it was a workhorse camera of the "plain"  professional. Ready on its bag, ready to shoot in 7 seconds and for a full working day 

If you take care of the basics, the camera does the rest of the magic mixing and produces an image that punches much above its weight.

I am still waiting for a similar workhorse camera. Just put some modern internals on the same body Canon, that's so easy..

I wish they C70 was that camera, but unfortunately it doesn't feel the same.

11 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I wish they C70 was that camera, but unfortunately it doesn't feel the same.

Not even with these firmware updates? Seems like Canon is getting there slowly but surely... and I sincerely hope they spread some of that FW update love to the R5C (all I need is an option to make it more power efficient - even if it means sacrificing a feature or two) and the R6.