Gopro 4 coming when the summer is over?

Christina Ava

Dear fellows,

i have been holding on from buying the gopro hero 3+ because there has been this rumour that a gopro4 with improved 4k in terms of fps and other tweeks would come out in summer 2014.

where is it? you think they will release it in september? i mean this is the perfect summer sports/vacation camera,

why delay it..

by the way just watched the bloom new drone+gorpo 3 film.... perfect combo, and look at the use of the low flying drone..much more dramatic than the high altitude shots that i personaly find boring.http://vimeo.com/99762227

and just found the perfect accesory for those of you that have kids! 

http://www.fotomarket.gr/gopro-junior-chesty-chest-harness.html

im getting one for sure !!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

look at the use of the low flying drone..much more dramatic than the high altitude shots that i personaly find boring.

Indeed.  I just finished a production for a client who entertained the notion that his quad flying shots were appropriate for his film.  It was incredibly difficult to diplomatically try to inform him how to fly his toy.

Ultimately, he just liked to fly the damn thing high to the point where the landscape basically looked nondescript/static and then he would just pan and tilt the camera around randomly.  Augh.  

Some people would rather hang a painting of Kincaid in the house than a Wyeth.

I just had to accept it.  Lots of folks just don't get it.  Their subjectivity skews toward tacky.  With flying shots it's typically low, slow, and in a straight line.  It's really that simple.

Indeed.  I just finished a production for a client who entertained the notion that his quad flying shots were appropriate for his film.  It was incredibly difficult to diplomatically try to inform him how to fly his toy.

Ultimately, he just liked to fly the damn thing high to the point where the landscape basically looked nondescript/static and then he would just pan and tilt the camera around randomly.  Augh.  

I just had to accept it.  Lots of folks just don't get it.  Their subjectivity skews

toward tacky.  With flying shots it's typically low, slow, and in a straight line.  It's really that simple.

True dat. 

I just finished a piece using the same setup Philip has there - most of the shots I ended up using were less than 20 ft off the deck.

That video is such a favorite. The children and landscapes are beautiful. I found his article (the last one in the series of three) very informative. His 4-wheeler shot, the one where he rides down the street holding the drone, is what sold me on the Phantom's 3-axis stabilizer. I have a trip scheduled in August and plan on using this exact setup... I am also disappointed that the new GoPro model is not available. 

The Panasonic and Sony action cams both seem nice, but I have more faith (at this point) with the GoPro. 

Bloom's ability to color correct a video such as this is probably the most important aspect that goes unnoticed (IMO). 

His advice suggests keeping the drone close, with simple moves. 

i guess they are still selling a lot of heros3+, i know that when i buy the camera that i need for August and then the new gopro4 comes out i will bang my head.

this is the place im going it...it would be a total shame not to have a new gopro...will spend my time diving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvfUUdeOmlA

found this on dgise.com:  GoPro Hero 4 is really capable of recording video in 4K resolution at a speed of 30 frames per second, 1080p at 120fps and 720p at 240fps, which became possible with the advent of the new SoC Ambarella A9 chip (dual A9 ARM Core ® CortexTM-A9 processor 1GHz with FPU accelerator) for advanced applications, wireless connection and streaming video in social media.

GoPro Hero 4 will also come with a 13-megapixel photosensor and a completely new lens for shooting in dark. Multi-Exposure and HDR WDR tone mapping, electronic image stabilization, also improved MCTF. Dual sensor interfaces 12-lane SLVDS/HiSPiTM/subLVDS, 4-lane, remote viewfinder playback which is extremely easy to use. You shouldn’t to have special technical knowledge or skills to do it. GoPro Hero cameras are amazing because they have a waterproof housing with a flat lens for shooting under water (up to 60m). Built-in Wi-Fi module, USB & HDMI - the only thing that brings it closer to homeliness. The camera has the ability to capture still images during video recording and perform encoding H.264/ BP / MP / HP Level 5.1 and MJPEG.

GoPro Hero 4 will hit on shelves in October 2014. 

I just had to accept it.  Lots of folks just don't get it.  Their subjectivity skews toward tacky.  With flying shots it's typically low, slow, and in a straight line.  It's really that simple.

Just like there are some places in the house where I absolutely would hang a Kincaid over a Wyeth (Anywhere the kids have access to), not every shot needs to be the absolute maximum. Sure in isolation, that high static landscape may be dull but in a production, bland, dull shots are important!

Go watch a Michael Bay movie, every shot is pumped up to the max, it is a breathless experience, he even one ups himself (bomb dropping from plane in Pearl Harbour vs Prime dropping from spaceship - two identical shots, identical movements, one has been pumped up even more!) - now obviously he wants his audience to be breathless, he wants to throw so much on the screen that the eyes see it but the brain can't process it all - it's what he does but immediately after you watch a bay move, go watch a hitchcock or a scorsese, notice all the bland, dull shots they use to give the audience a chance to shut off their visual cortex, to process what just happened!

dull shots use to give the audience a chance to shut off their visual cortex

If that's the metaphor, then the viewer's visual cortex of my particular guy's footage would not only be shut off, but dormant and hibernating for a few years.  Elevated hundreds of feet and then panning or tilting over and over and over is not my idea of useful.

I agree with you, nondescript shots are worthless if not balanced with visual context.  An effective filmmaker should strive for tension and release within the visual storytelling.  It's not exactly practical when the footage is always the same.

Go watch a Michael Bay movie

No.  I won't.

And while given this opportunity allow me to rant.  To hell with Bay.  He sucks.

Pre-Argument-For-Standard-Internet-Defense-Of-Bay:  No, I'm not jealous.  Yes, I am aware his movies make him a millionaire and he goes to the bank.  Haters aren't always gonna hate, but they will critique.  I do like popcorn and big fun movies.  It's the ridiculously dumb ones that bother me.  He's still a horrible hack and I still wish he'd stop.  He's the friggin' Celine Dion of movie making. 

If that's the metaphor, then the viewer's visual cortex of my particular guy's footage would not only be shut off, but dormant and hibernating for a few years.  Elevated hundreds of feet and then panning or tilting over and over and over is not my idea of useful.

I agree with you, nondescript shots are worthless if not balanced with visual context.  An effective filmmaker should strive for tension and release within the visual storytelling.  It's not exactly practical when the footage is always the same.

No.  I won't.

And while given this opportunity allow me to rant.  To hell with Bay.  He sucks.

Pre-Argument-For-Standard-Internet-Defense-Of-Bay:  No, I'm not jealous.  Yes, I am aware his movies make him a millionaire and he goes to the bank.  Haters aren't always gonna hate, but they will critique.  I do like popcorn and big fun movies.  It's the ridiculously dumb ones that bother me.  He's still a horrible hack and I still wish he'd stop.  He's the friggin' Celine Dion of movie making. 

Fair enough - I didn't see what you had to work with, and I hope I made it clear that I do not view MB's style as anything positive!

Just like there are some places in the house where I absolutely would hang a Kincaid over a Wyeth (Anywhere the kids have access to), not every shot needs to be the absolute maximum. Sure in isolation, that high static landscape may be dull but in a production, bland, dull shots are important!

I totally disagree. Bland and dull shots is exactly what any good filmmaker should avoid. Always.
You're mistaking pacing with composition and shot style, there's no reason why a slow shot or scene should be any bland or dull.

I totally disagree. Bland and dull shots is exactly what any good filmmaker should avoid. Always.
You're mistaking pacing with composition and shot style, there's no reason why a slow shot or scene should be any bland or dull.

To me, this shot in Amelie is bland: '> and this shot is dull: 

Completely removed from the film they are in, they are boring, uninteresting and, well a bit crap. If I showed you those in isolation and told you they were made by one of the greatest film makers of our times, you might well call me names on the internet, de-construct them slowly to prove how wrong I was (the royal you). Yet they, in context are absolutely brilliant. We may very well be agreeing but using different words in different ways.

dull shots is exactly what any good filmmaker should avoid.

To be fair, a nondescript shot can work well in the right context.  All depends on what you're trying to do.  But I do think one does need a strong visual vocabulary to support those types of images.

All I'm getting at regarding the recent quad footage I've had to deal with recently --is that the pilot was visually mono syllabic and I needed images for his edit that had some poetry.

As for Bay, I'll use any excuse to complain about him.

'>

How is this shot dull? It's well lit, well graded, and well composed.
Even though it's only an insert, there's variation and texture in BG to make it interesting and shallow depth of field to lead your eyes exactly where they want you to look.

An interesting shot doesn't need to be a crazy MTV kind of shot.
The Man Who Wasn't There is filled with extremely interesting shots and they're mostly lock offs.

If Jeunet had shot that insert with flat lighting, texture and DOF, then yes, it could have been dull... this is anything but.

'>

How is this shot dull? It's well lit, well graded, and well composed.
Even though it's only an insert, there's variation and texture in BG to make it interesting and shallow depth of field to lead your eyes exactly where they want you to look.

An interesting shot doesn't need to be a crazy MTV kind of shot.
The Man Who Wasn't There is filled with extremely interesting shots and they're mostly lock offs.

If Jeunet had shot that insert with flat lighting, texture and DOF, then yes, it could have been dull... this is anything but.

It's dull because it's a static shot of a piece of concrete. Remember the context in which we are having this discussion, people talking about finding shots taken from a drone from up high as being dull, because there is no dynamism in them. This is why I think you didn't understand my use of the word dull because I agree with everything you are saying! The shot is dull, and not only is that OK, it's preferable to every shot being MBay'd!

I get that, but my point is you're using a wrong term. Dull is a negative comment in the sense that's the opposite of interesting, and it doesn't apply in this case. Michael Bay in the uninteresting one IMO, or dull.

Moving the camera around doesn't necessarily make a shot dynamic, and choosing to shoot a lockoff doesn't mean the shot will be dull.

A still photograph can be dynamic and have rhythm. There's so much more to a a dynamic or interesting shot than the motion of the camera.

Dull is a negative comment

That you have anthropomorphisized a perfectly good descriptive word is why I'm not going to talk to you any more about linguistics. Please re-read what you wrote - you defined dull as lack of interest and then called Bay's shots dull because every shot has too much interest. That's why it's important to not attribute human feelings to words, it gets confusing.

That you have anthropomorphisized a perfectly good descriptive word is why I'm not going to talk to you any more about linguistics. Please re-read what you wrote - you defined dull as lack of interest and then called Bay's shots dull because every shot has too much interest. That's why it's important to not attribute human feelings to words, it gets confusing.

I don't know what you're talking about, never in my life have I said Michael Bay's shots have "too much interest", and doubt I ever will.

English is not my native language, but it seems the dictionary is with me on this one:

dull = lacking interest or excitement