Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera for $495

Bruno

I find these offers from BMD a little frustrating. Sales/profile are not quite where they want em, so the price is dropped, loads of people order, and the stiock to fill the orders doesn't exist. Then the price is raised.

So years after the camera's release you have a whole new group of people on another waiting list with no information about when the orders will be fulfilled. I think it lowers trust a lot in the long run, I don't think it's worth it to get some money in the bank.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I find these offers from BMD a little frustrating. Sales/profile are not quite where they want em, so the price is dropped, loads of people order, and the stiock to fill the orders doesn't exist. Then the price is raised.

So years after the camera's release you have a whole new group of people on another waiting list with no information about when the orders will be fulfilled. I think it lowers trust a lot in the long run, I don't think it's worth it to get some money in the bank.

I agree and Blackmagic have a lot of work to do on the sales and marketing side to get their house in order. They are really upsetting people.

Had some good news here just this very morning...

qRu7AEB.jpg

It's a replacement unit for the BMPCC I bought as a summer sale-deal well over a month back. Already frowned when they wanted to sell me an unsealed box, but since it looked unused, was promised it wasn't a demo model and with no other way of getting one any sooner in sight (it was litterally the last one anywhere), I just took it. I unfortunately then had to return it the next day because it showed hot pixels of which the effect was especially pronounced and very distracting at 800ASA and 1600ASA (with the about 30+ hot pixels showing, you'd almost think you're watching star constellations). They would then send it back to Blackmagic requesting to replace it.

I waited over a month with no news whatsoever, so last week I thought it was time to put on a little pressure. The lady at the store was very understanding, and they in turn put some pressure on Blackmagic. On friday they then promised us a brand new unit would arrive next week, which means: this week. And whattayaknow, this morning they called me saying it had arrived! So I just went and picked it up. Brand new sealed unit, as where it's only guessing where the other one originated (maybe their online store had a customer who bought it and then sent it back within the cooldown period (which you can do without an explanation why) and they just put it back on the shelf?). The old serialno. started with '1672..', this one with '2014..', no idea if that's any indication whatsoever, but the other one must've been one of the earlier batches and this must be brand spanking new. In meanwhile I had already ordered and received some spare batteries and a charger from Patona, so those can finally be put to good use as well.

Now just got to make sure this unit is ok, so I'll put on the latest firmware and run a few tests! I hope this time around my experience with the BMPCC will be flawless and then this 475,- EUR is verrrrryyy well spent I'd say. :lol: What a bargain. Hope all of you who ordered one will receive 'em soon too!

- Upd. Gave it a spin (without touching the FW) and 800ASA looks absolutely fine to me. At 1600ASA perhaps you could argue that you see some hints of hot pixels. But to be honest, you will need your monitor at full brightness, film in a way to make it more obvious, know what to look for and not apply any noise reduction whatsoever. It blends in with the noise and is very very faint. Not an issue.

The only thing bothersome I came across was some pixel pop-ups/flashes (lasts only one frame, but intense enough to notice).

1i19oSG.jpg

ryrgkH5.png

But it might have something to do with using the [focus]-button whilst filming (in 800ASA; and not that you should be using the autofocus feature anyways, but I was testing schtuff you know).

-- Upd. Well, no joy there. It seems to be independent of ASA-setting and/or focussing or not. Maybe two or three frames in a minute of footage are effected. Surely you can correct this in post easily without too much hassle (although now you have to carefully analyze the footage several times and make sure not to blink in order to get 'em all covered), but still, it's not really supposed to behave like this of course. Could try and shoot with another freshly formatted card.

Will now go and update the firmware to the latest 1.9.3, see if that helps and checkout the new style and features.

--- Upd. I like the new FW. Still I keep getting these pop-up pixels now and again though. FW update, ProRes LT or HQ, one card or the next... no difference.

Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

This whole BlackTragic Pocket Cinema Camera price drop saga has been ridiculous. What the hell were they doing?

I ordered mine on July 21st from CVP, who took 250 orders during the price drop. Yesterday they fulfilled the first 10 orders. They are expecting another 10 next week. BlackMragic are avoiding communicating with CVP's repeated requests for information, other than to say they "hope" to fullfill all orders by the end of August, which obviously isn't going to happen.

Surely this isn't good for their brand. They've pissed me off before I've even used one of their cameras ...

Australian users might be pleased to know there are some pockets still on sale at half price at videocraft, I snagged one two days ago when there was apparently only 5 left. Got confirmation yesterday that the order had been processed and the camera is on its way, mind you by this time they were down to 3 left, now theres apparently only 2, so hurry!

http://www.videocraft.com.au/blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-only-3-left

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

My BMPCC arrived yesterday! Wooohooo!!!  :D

Initial thoughts: everything I've read is true - it's a pain in the neck to use, you definitely need a rig, the batteries deplete before your eyes ... but I love it. It's all in the name really - it's a cinema camera, not a shot-grabber. I'm going to have to learn Resolve because the RAW image is just wonderful. No more camera lust for me, I've found "the one" I think.

Peaking is superb too - much better than my G6's. But having to scroll through the date and time settings in the menu to change ISO and WB? Without any visual or metering feedback?!?! who thought that was a good idea?!?!

I'm currently constructing a mount adapter for my Z-Finder Jr, which looks like it will work just fine. I think I'll add a Nikkor 20mm f3.5 AI-S to my collection at some point. My Tokina 11-16 is great on the Pocket, but a bit massive for some stuff.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to buy a BMPCC. I have the option to get one from the dealer in my country at $1350. Wrapped cameras are going for about $700 on eBay. I guess many purchased in the sales. With tax and shipping it becomes about $900.

So what I'm wondering about is will I get problems if I need to send camera inn for issues?

Is the BMPCC prone to problems causing it to have to be returned for service?

I feel safer choosing the local dealer, but the difference in price is a nice lens.