Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera for $495

Bruno

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

At $495 let 'em come out with a new one. I'd want to let a new one simmer and season for a year to get the bugs out before I jump on that bandwagon. Also if they announce in September god knows when you'll see it. BM aren't exactly known for delivering on announced dates. I'm just hoping I get the back-ordered one I ordered from B&H.

Yeah, me too. I'm in no hurry to buy the new one, whenever it comes. Based on BM's recent track record, that may indeed be the smart choice. Although when seeing all the ooga-ooga-new features of the new model, there may be a brief nuisance of a GAS attack, but I think I'll manage.

I was one of those who ordered one right before the recent price drop. One would think I'd be miffed silly, and perhaps I was for a while, but that lasted about 15 seconds. I traded in one of my stills cameras and got a decent deal, so all I end up *losing' was some of the perceived value of the trade-in goods. No big deal. At least I should have mine very soon, as it was in stock already. I don't have to wait 3 to 4 weeks for one, which seems to be the typical estimated deliver time among those who advertise the BMPCC for under 500€.

If the delivery times will get delayed even more, or if the price of the current model will indeed rise back up to the previous level before a new model will replace it, I'll have nothing to be miffed about. A price drop was/is pretty inevitable at some point, anyway, and I bought one as a tool, not as an investment.

I can almost guarantee a new pocket cam will come in at $1299 or $1499. It's their price point void right now. Keeping the original pocket would be smart too.

Not that I would mind that, but got to ask why? The BM lineup is a bit cluttered already, so yet another model might not be the ideal choice for a small camera maker like Blackmagic. 

As for the pricing, I for one would be surprised if it wasn't the same as the entry price for the first generation model.  To ask nearly 50% more would mean it would have to be an all new camera, with some new features, perhaps all new design, too, not just an upgrade.

But we'll see, soon enough. Maybe.

Not that I would mind that, but got to ask why? The BM lineup is a bit cluttered already, so yet another model might not be the ideal choice for a small camera maker like Blackmagic. 

As for the pricing, I for one would be surprised if it wasn't the same as the entry price for the first generation model.  To ask nearly 50% more would mean it would have to be an all new camera, with some new features, perhaps all new design, too, not just an upgrade.

But we'll see, soon enough. Maybe.

I'm sure it'll have new features. It'll be like having the BMCC and BMPC 4K cam. Same body but different features.

My supplier has indeed increased the price of the BMPCC to a normal level.  I'm guessing they have been instructed by Blackmagic, no doubt having received enough orders at the reduced price, well ahead of their estimated promotion running through to the end of Aug!

Glad I got my order in!   :)

Yeah me too. CVP have put the price back up to £659 (incl. VAT). I have one on order from them for £366, so I just hope it comes through.

The fact they've put the price back up but are accepting orders makes me think you are correct - Blackmagic have decided they've sold enough.

At least I should have mine very soon, as it was in stock already. I don't have to wait 3 to 4 weeks for one, which seems to be the typical estimated deliver time among those who advertise the BMPCC for under 500€.

That's weird, I ordered one after I found about the sale and got it delivered less than 24 hours later.
If they're taking that long maybe you should get it from somewhere else, and try to still catch the sale price.

That's weird, I ordered one after I found about the sale and got it delivered less than 24 hours later.
If they're taking that long maybe you should get it from somewhere else, and try to still catch the sale price.

Nah, I'm fine thanks. The BMPCC was a part of a larger trade-in deal with more stuff in my case, I got a decent deal, and it was some other stuff I needed to wait, so no worries.

But now I'm curious about the actual delivery times people have been facing recently with those discounted cameras. Many bigger dealers have aleady put a sold out card on their virtual BMPCC shelf, and gone back with the original price, so hod did it go for those of you who just recently ordered the discounted BMPCC?

Just curious.

Anyone in the UK received their cut-price BMPCC yet? I'm still waiting for CVP to tell me when they expect stock to arrive and whether my unit will be one of them (I'm about 150th in their queue ...  :(

Anyone in the UK received their cut-price BMPCC yet? I'm still waiting for CVP to tell me when they expect stock to arrive and whether my unit will be one of them (I'm about 150th in their queue ...  :(

I'm in the US and ordered from B&H on the 17th.  At the time their website said it was backordered and to expect it in 7-10 business days... I have heard nothing.

Mine arrive today. Ordered on July 17 Shipped on the August 1st. Very impressed with the size and performance.  It will supplement my 5D Raw very nicely.
bmpc.jpg

Good for you! I ordered mine on the 17th and just got an email from B&H saying that they have not received any stock from BM nor have a date when they will but will let me know. I'm bummed because I'm flying out for a project in early September and had hoped to get the camera sooner rather than later to make sure that everything is okay with it and that I have the requisite accessories. I've been holding off because I was worried about a supply debacle (remember the disaster when the Cinema camera first came out?) and if the camera doesn't make it I may have to invest in other supplies to shoot for that project. Fingers crossed!

Mine arrive today. Ordered on July 17 Shipped on the August 1st. Very impressed with the size and performance.  It will supplement my 5D Raw very nicely.
bmpc.jpg

Is there a Memphis in the UK? I've never heard of one ...  :P

Adorama is done.  Price is back up to $995.

Some camera store on Amazon is selling it for $695.  They seem to actually have it in stock.

I ordered mine on the 17th and just got an email from B&H saying that they have not received any stock from BM nor have a date when they will but will let me know.

Yeah, that sucks.  I am a bit miffed they said 7-10 business days when I ordered and then on business day 14 I still hadn't heard a peep out of them.  I realize stuff happens but you have to keep the customers in the loop.  Would it really hurt to send an email just giving people a heads up?

Is there a Memphis in the UK? I've never heard of one ...  :P

I agree.  It would be helpful if people put the purchase date, ship date, name and location of store, and location where the camera is to be shipped.

Anybody get their Pocket from B&H?  I ordered mine on July 19 with a 7-14 day wait.  It's weird just staring at this speedbooster... 

I ordered mine on July 16th, got it less than 24h later, but they probably ran out of stock really quick.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

I'm still waiting for my BMPCC from CVP in the UK  :(

Anybody in the UK who ordered theirs during the price drop received it yet?

Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

Still waiting for mine, not from CVP.

Holdan are BlackMagic's UK distributor. I called them a week or so ago - they didn't have any news but seemed good. They will be the first to know when the cameras are on their way I think. It's getting pretty silly really ...