How can one avoid banding in post with the A7s (and other 8-bit cameras)?

tupp

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The banding in that clip is present in the ungraded half too and is just due to compression.

You can avoid banding to an extent by using grain. The noise forces the encoder to add more data to those areas of the image. However, with h264, dark areas of the image will always become blotchy unless it's at 30mbps or above.

One thing I've found is that some 3D LUTs (especially Osiris) causes banding where others don't.

@Inazuma  Thanks for the info!

http://www.eoshd.com/content/12923/cure-banding-dslr-footage-gh4-4k-holds-key

Thank you for linking the article.  >One the comments shows the dramatic advantage of "diffuse" dithering over merely applying noise.

I have used noise and blurring with still photos to eliminate banding, but with stills it is easy to localize the effect within the image.  Has anyone used masks (or other selection tools) to keep blurring/noise/dithering to a local area in video?

I have a video to explain on this I just have to do the voice over. Basically if you can denoise the plate, sharpen the luma and blur the chroma then regrain it should get rid of any banding you have

Looking forward to watching the video!

If it is an easy process, I might reconsider shooting with the A7s.

Thanks!

@Inazuma

Very interesting!

I can see how the banding is reduced on the third clip (compared to the second clip).  However, I confess that I prefer the contrast in the original clip over that in the processed clips.

Thanks for the examples!