Sony will respond to users and reduce rolling shutter with new sensor technology

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Sony A7S with Atomos Ninja Star

The A7S is so close to being a 'complete' system for high end video quality in a small prosumer camera, but there's one issue that has quite rightly been highlighted by filmmakers such as Andrew Wonder and that is the rolling shutter distortion. The A7S actually has a very fast sensor with high efficiency made possible by the latest technology but because it does not skip any lines when reading out the image the net result is a scan that takes roughly as long as the older 5D Mark II, which does line-skip.

Sony plan to fix this by introducing a new sensor technology which can read entire lines of pixels in batches of 4 simultaneously.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For me another issue is the stabilization.Lens with Oss are not terrific and the only way for shoot great video is fix the camera on a tripod.

We don't want to solve this problem in post with wharp in Premiere or other software.

Finally the user guide miss lot of informations. I hope Andrew you will prepare a new shooter guide.

Thanks

• Administrators

The ultra sonic stabilisation on Canon lenses can be used via the Metabones Smart EF adapter on the A7S. The 100mm F2.8L Macro especially is very effective for general handheld shooting and not just macro. 35mm F2.0 IS is another good one.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

How good is rolling shutter correction in post? What are the downsides?

What are the available options (plug-ins) for Sony Vegas, Premiere, Final cut, Avid ?

Ebrahim-

I've never had to fix rolling shutter issues, but I did come across this tutorial when researching it:

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/rolling-shutter-adobe-premiere-pro/

For Premiere, it seems to be a built in filter.. probably also in AE. It looks like unlike removing camera shake, the gate doesn't move around. There are 2 modes, "warp" and "pixel motion".. pixel motion appears to be temporal, warp appears to be progressive and a mesh warp like effect. Gate seems unaffected with both. Since you're already going to be dealing with a blurry image, I think the quality loss issue is probably negligible. 

Interesting fix btw.. the 4 lines at once trick, assuming that doesn't create some visible line separation. 

• Administrators

I have to admit I cringe when I read about fixing a problem by running a full frame camera in crop mode, and then fixing the crop mode "problem" with a SpeedBooster. :D

Michael

You don't have to do it all the time, just when you want reduced rolling shutter though.

I have to admit I cringe when I read about fixing a problem by running a full frame camera in crop mode, and then fixing the crop mode "problem" with a SpeedBooster. :D

Michael

And you do the hokey pokey and shake your credit card around, that's what technology's all about!

• Administrators

Or they could implement a global shutter and move the global-shutter circuitry to another layer, like Alternative Vision Corporation. Isn't Sony a leader in stacked-sensor design?

They probably already did do that on the F55.

No it's a linear roll at constant speed.

I think he means that if each line is being used, but in bursts of 4, then the differences in time will also be represented in chunks of 4 lines, assuming 1:1 pixel representation. This would create stair-stepping on pans etc. That's if I'm understanding the method correctly.

Unless of course those 4 lines get merged into 1 line, if for example the sensor has a very high megapixel count.

• Administrators

I think he means that if each line is being used, but in bursts of 4, then the differences in time will also be represented in chunks of 4 lines, assuming 1:1 pixel representation. This would create stair-stepping on pans etc. That's if I'm understanding the method correctly.

Unless of course those 4 lines get merged into 1 line, if for example the sensor has a very high megapixel count.

Nope. Please read the patent for the answer.

"Hayato Wakabayashi proposes to read 4 rows simultaneously, while keeping a smooth progression of the rolling shutter"

The ramp DACs 142 and 152 work with a delay to have a smooth shutter curtain advance

http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.de/2014/07/faster-readouts-smaller-rolling-shutter.html