Sony A7s in hand last night..

lafilm

So last night I finally got my hands on the A7s. A friend of a friend is a dp and invited us over to see his new cam. Played with it for a couple hours.

Lowdown: the smallest cam (canon guy here) I've ever held. Light. I mean real light. Too light to be honest. So small (i do have large hands) and i've never held the A series before, so I was a bit shocked. 

Still pics were real nice. Uploaded straight away and you can see the full frame magic.

Video - forget about any handholding. The rolling shutter (just looking through the EVF) was absolutely abysmal. The worst I have ever seen. Once on Adobe, seemed worse. Don't care about specs on this, Im telling you worse than 5D2. Unusable. Jello? Where is that Bill Cosby commercial when you need it? The worst I have ever seen. I'm shocked more people have not come out and said this.

This cam will need a rig..and frankly you better not be doing too much movement on that rig. 

I would not buy the cam because of it's size/weight ratio..but If I was a Sony fan, the RS/Jello would kill it for me. Hopefully it's fixed in the next ver..and they make it larger.

On the tripod very slow/not moving it looked very nice. If you imagine handholding your Guerrilla film, you need to look elsewhere. I'm telling you forget about this cam for indie films. (except specialty shots)

Hope this helps some of you guys who have not actually touched the cam yet.

EDIT: the lowlight was better than the Canon 1D C - as much as it pains me to admit it :) Hopefully Can puts this tech in a new cam soon. With better ergo.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have looked at a lot of A7s Movies..and I wonder ..where are the colours?..if you use S-log (a very flat incamera setting for better dr.) then you have to bring back the colours in post....whats the point of shooting flat and then colorcorrect a blue sky grey or green ????  

Look forward to it JCS.

I think you may be used to Canon. They have nailed color just about right out of the box (C Log is fantastic btw) but not always necessary. 

Sony s-log needs/wants/must to be color corrected/graded. It's designed for that. Yes..means more work.

If you're not excellent with CC, or cannot afford to pay a top colorist for your film..I would avoid the A7s.

You shoot flat to grade it in post.

Yes..of cause you need to grade in post...I´m used to Sony colours..but I dont see them in Sony A7s..

not in S-log grades...If you shoot to flat with A6000 you also might find your self in trouble grading in it back to natural colours  ..