James Miller adds £167 hardware 4K scaler box to Sony A7S with stunning results

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ohhh... proof positive that colour is in the eye of the beholder (and their monitor)

Yours, on my monitor and to my eye looks over saturated and like you've put it through a tv's "cinema" mode. I find the original (and I share some peoples concerns about the A7s colour rendering) much more natural, much more pleasing and far less Michael Bay.

But please don't take that as criticism, I'm almost certain if I looked at it on your, doubtlessly scrupulously calibrated monitor (as is mine) I would share your opinion, it's just the difference in rendering and taste.

I never touched saturation just so you know. All I did was remove all that GREEN and add a tad bit of blackness.

ALL the still frames associated with this post look excessively green (and a bit flat) to me. When I download the doggy image and open it in photoshop, the big reflected highlight under the Beagle shows a pronounced amount of green.

And I keep my 32 bit monitor calibrated and do all my (considerable amount of) grading on it.

The gamma issue between Mac and PC has been a problem in the film industry for decades -- especially in terms of the QuickTime 7 system framework, which has been deprecated.

Unfortunately, media applications on these two disparate computing platforms *do not* read the file-based gamma data and compensate accordingly.

And aside from file-based gamma differences, you also have issues surrounding the calibration (or not) of the user's display.

Color grading is very definitely a subjective art, but I can tell you that I would never let the image at the top of this thread out my door -- unless of course, it was an intentional stylistic decision.

On a somewhat related topic, it is interesting to note the number of comments on the Internet questioning the color science of the A7s.  Interestingly, when that color science has been called into question, I have found myself in general agreement after watching the clips on my calibrated monitor.

However, it's hard to know if these issues are related to computing platform gamma differences -- or users posting S-Log2 footage on Vimeo (or an alternate picture profile) -- without having pulled it back down to Rec. 709 or Rec. 2020. 

S-Log2 and S-Gamut on A7S use standard BT.709 colour primary, same as F5.

I never touched saturation just so you know. All I did was remove all that GREEN and add a tad bit of blackness.

ALL the still frames associated with this post look excessively green (and a bit flat) to me. When I download the doggy image and open it in photoshop, the big reflected highlight under the Beagle shows a pronounced amount of green.

And I keep my 32 bit monitor calibrated and do all my (considerable amount of) grading on it.

Oh sure - I choose my words very carefully! 

What's interesting is that, and bear in mind ALL these monitors are for professional use and calibrated by people who know what they are doing!

When viewed on a Viewsonic PLS panel with the AG coating removed driven by a Quadro, I really like the original best.

When viewed on a Dell IPS panel with reasonably aggressive AG coating left on driven by a Quadro, the original looks flat, I prefer yours.

When viewed on an ASUS IPS panel with the best AG I have even encountered, driven by a Quadro, I like both equally.

When viewed on a Viewsonic PLS panel with the AG coating removed driven by a Firepro, I really like the original best.

When viewed on a Dell IPS panel with reasonably aggressive AG coating left on driven by a Firepro, the original looks flat, I prefer yours.

When viewed on an ASUS IPS panel with the best AG I have even encountered, driven by a Firepro, I like the original best, the colors on yours look way too much.

When the same monitors were driven by both Geforce/Radeon, the results are the same as above and predictably when viewed on a TN panel, they both look muted.

And on my TV, I prefer the original, but yours matches most programs! 

So in conclusion, I think the AG treatment on monitors has a massive effect but mostly it's all in the eye of the beholder!

I spoke to the manufacturer of the SY-4KS, it's name in the US is CPRO-2E4KS and it's available from Dino Bozzi @ Globe Electronics, 295 Route 46 West, Fairfield, NJ 07004, (973) 882-9882, (973) 882-9886 - fax.

Cost for the CPRO-2E4KS is $155 plus shipping from NJ.

From the manufacturer.
Hi Thomas,
Please contact Mr. Dino Bozzi below. He will help. And, the model name in the US is CPRO-2E4KS.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you,

Chiungfang Hsu

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cypress Technology Co., LTD.

6F-5,No.130, Jian Kang Rd., Chung Ho Dist., New Taipei City, 23585, Taiwan
Tel: 886-2-2226-9586 ext. 238

Fax: 886-2-2226-9587
Email: chiungfang.hsu@cypress.com.tw

That "touch of blackness" obviously increased saturation. Using rgb curves or something that touches saturation too?

I also prefer the original. But I - of course - have the best properly graded monitor. And I also happen to like green.

That "touch of blackness" obviously increased saturation. Using rgb curves or something that touches saturation too?

I also prefer the original. But I - of course - have the best properly graded monitor. And I also happen to like green.

It doesn't look that over-saturated to me, just more contrast.

Oh sure - I choose my words very carefully! 

What's interesting is that, and bear in mind ALL these monitors are for professional use and calibrated by people who know what they are doing!

When viewed on a Viewsonic PLS panel with the AG coating removed driven by a Quadro, I really like the original best.

When viewed on a Dell IPS panel with reasonably aggressive AG coating left on driven by a Quadro, the original looks flat, I prefer yours.

When viewed on an ASUS IPS panel with the best AG I have even encountered, driven by a Quadro, I like both equally.

When viewed on a Viewsonic PLS panel with the AG coating removed driven by a Firepro, I really like the original best.

When viewed on a Dell IPS panel with reasonably aggressive AG coating left on driven by a Firepro, the original looks flat, I prefer yours.

When viewed on an ASUS IPS panel with the best AG I have even encountered, driven by a Firepro, I like the original best, the colors on yours look way too much.

When the same monitors were driven by both Geforce/Radeon, the results are the same as above and predictably when viewed on a TN panel, they both look muted.

And on my TV, I prefer the original, but yours matches most programs! 

So in conclusion, I think the AG treatment on monitors has a massive effect but mostly it's all in the eye of the beholder!

Interesting...

What does this file look like to you? Are the grays neutral?

'>

Are we sure this is for real? Remember that this is the same James Miller who promulgated the nonsense that removing the OLPF of the Canon 5D3 improved the image. That piece of nonsense fooled quite a few people at the time before it was all revealed as the Emperor's New Clothes.

• 1 month later...