a6000 and Sony 10-18mm F4

maxotics

I've been going through an architectural photography phase and bought a Sony 10-18mm for the a6000.  It will also work, with some cropping, on the a7.  Unfortunately, I haven't had much time.  I shot some test footage, which is completely ungraded and boring, but if you're interested in the field of view of the 10-18 on the a6000 then it should give you an idea.

Photographically, the 10-18 on the a6000 is a monster wide-angle solution.  Great sharpness, contrast and color.  

I did a little comparison with the GM1.  The GM1 continues to amaze me with it's clean low-ISO footage.  The a6000 is superb camera, but I don't think they'll ever get APS-C sensor as sharp as MFT in 1080.  I think it impossible to completely fix the aliasing/moire issue with having pixels more spread out on the sensor, vs the MFT.  What Sony seems to have improved is the chromatic aberrations, which is certainly the most annoying aspect of that problem.  In short, not sure 1080 will get much better from APS-C camera.  

However, I can get a shallower DOF with the a6000 that I can't get with the GM1.  It's a tradeoff.  

I have a Sony 35mm 2.8 which I hope to do some test footage with soon.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The a7s and RED cameras both produce images as sharp as the GH4. I know they're several times more expensive, but it still demonstrates that a technically good video image can be attained with larger sensors.

As for that lens.. Well I think wide lenses have a particular application. The shots you took are wide but not necessarily interesting. And they are not as impressive as what you get from the gopro.

The a7s and RED cameras both produce images as sharp as the GH4. I know they're several times more expensive, but it still demonstrates that a technically good video image can be attained with larger sensors.

As for that lens.. Well I think wide lenses have a particular application. The shots you took are wide but not necessarily interesting. And they are not as impressive as what you get from the gopro.

Sorry Inazuma, I should have formatted what I wrote "...which is completely ungraded and boring"

Like I said, I couldn't find any samples, so I figured I'd put something up.  I wish I could have shot some people.  If I did, at a low f-shop, you would have seen shallow DOF that would would show the huge benefit over a gopro, in separating subject from background.

The a7S is full-frame, and has larger pixels.   The RED has monster processing chips, batteries and I assume sensor heatsinks.  So let me clarify what I was saying, I don't see consumer APS-C sensors getting much better at video.  The power/heat that would be generated in properly binning all the pixels is too great.   Sensors are only part of the equation.  

You're right, I should have clarified.  

I've been going through an architectural photography phase and bought a Sony 10-18mm for the a6000.  It will also work, with some cropping, on the a7.  

Have you tried that lens in crop mode for video on the A7?

I used my FD 24 1.4 on my A7 on the weekend and tried crop mode for a couple of songs and I think I like it.       I stuffed up the sound for half the time and then when that was ok, the video is too light but the limitations are me at this point.     I think it will work well  (crop mode with 24mm) if I am a bit further away than I want.

Does work ok for stills.      

Would that 10-18 be worth it for a FF camera only or mainly for an APSC camera with FF as a bonus?

Might be too wide for me FF though.

Since I have an a6000 it hasn't made sense for me to use in crop mode on the a7.  It's an interesting question though, which would be sharper, the lens on the a6000, where it is binning across more 24 mpx, or the a7 where is using less (16?).  I"ll have to try an experiment! Check for the rolling shutter thing too.  Thanks for the idea!!!

Since I have an a6000 it hasn't made sense for me to use in crop mode on the a7.  It's an interesting question though, which would be sharper, the lens on the a6000, where it is binning across more 24 mpx, or the a7 where is using less (16?).  I"ll have to try an experiment! Check for the rolling shutter thing too.  Thanks for the idea!!!

A7 is only around 10mp in APSC mode (A7R is 16mp).      For stills for many uses it is actually enough and I am questioning if I need a APSC camera as well as FF and M4/3.    A7s must be about 5mp APSC mode (but I still want one)!

Photographically, the 10-18 on the a6000 is a monster wide-angle solution.  Great sharpness, contrast and color.  

Really? The tests haven't been so hot, and going from previous experience with Sony's NEX lenses I'm inclined to believe Sony has stuck to the same formula: very sharp centres and mediocre to terrible corners. There's also fairly heavy light fall-off (more than two stops). While the latter isn't too hard to correct for and places a bit more stress on the sensor, I'm not very fond of the E-mount lenses for the first reason.

@Noone, going through the same thought-process myself.  The megapixel count on the a6000 is so high I don't really need a full-frame to mitigate bayer color smearing.  That only leaves low-noise high ISO and shallow DOF for reasons to keep FF.  As for MFT, not a big fan for photography, but for video great benefits.

@leeys.  What lens would you recommend between 16-28mm?  I find Canon/Nikon mound manual lenses a bit iffy.  Naturally, I'd prefer a Leica 16-18-21mm f/4.0 M-Tri-Elmar, but short of that ;)  Also, I have Sigma DPs which are seriously sharp and don't suffer bayer issues.

@leeys.  What lens would you recommend between 16-28mm?  I find Canon/Nikon mound manual lenses a bit iffy.  Naturally, I'd prefer a Leica 16-18-21mm f/4.0 M-Tri-Elmar, but short of that  ;)  Also, I have Sigma DPs which are seriously sharp and don't suffer bayer issues.

That's not really answering my question, is it? Take the defensiveness down a notch; I wanted to know if reviews were wrong or you had an exceptional sample.

That's not really answering my question, is it? Take the defensiveness down a notch; I wanted to know if reviews were wrong or you had an exceptional sample.

Sorry if I came across the way!  The Leica reference was just a joke, well only because I can't afford it and better to laugh than cry ;)  The reviews of the lens I've read are good.  There's even a 10-18 love group somewhere.  When I was shooting with a Nikon 24 and Zenit 16mm I looked at the Flickr photos of the Sony and was very impreessed.  My experience with the lens is that it is better than the Nikon mostly because I believe the cheap adapters I use have a little bit of give/take and the Sony is design specitifically for their bodies/sensors.  I love manual lenses, but I'm starting to believe they are no match to lenses made for specific lines of cameras.  There are also many times I want auto focus and/or IS.  

So I'm sorry I can't answer your question.  All I can say is I've gotten the best wide-angle quality out of that lens compared to those others. Again, I bought the lens for photography.  The video is a bonus.  Also, Luminase landscapes also compared this lens to others on the a7 and found it very good for the money.  My opinion is it is an excellent lens and Sony has finally nailed it with the a7 and a6000.  I used to have a nex7 but the proprietary hot shoe and slow focus ended up souring me on it.  So I think I know where you're coming from.  

Hope this better answers your question.  Again, apologies for not spending more time in answering your question.   If you want me to comment on some specific reviews post the links and I'll be happy to do so!

What resolution test are you using to make this statement?  Since the GH4 produces 1100 lines of resolution in 4K, that puts it just out of reach for any 1080 camera.

Michael