Sony a7s Grading Tutorial

TerrenceWilkins

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The grading looks odd there imo. The light coloured building sticks out too much and the sky looks really fake. The process is also a bit clumsy. You would be better off doing a direct link into Speedgrade.

Not digging at your work btw; I think your other videos look very nice. Especially the Adidas advert.

First of all, thanks for sharing. It seems your "how to" was in demand, though I do not get why some people think grading the a7S's is that much harder...

The luma corrector is unnecessary, you're just performing an operation and undoing part of it with the Fast CC. The luma correction can be done within the Fast Color Corrector, adjusting shadows to 0.3, highlights to 1.0, and the mids to wherever you like in the upper mid section of the waveform.

I know you were not aiming at such a punchy and saturated look -it was just for demonstration purposes, right?-, but the effect of the applied LUT is too "light" in my opinion. If you'd like to get that kind of look punchy from the start and tone it down to your taste I have found that the standard Alexa LUT from Speedgrade/Lumetri will give you that (at least until we have more a7S specific LUTs).

I agree with you that slight color casts (or "color interpretations" from the camera) are not a problem, especially with cameras in which you can dial the preferred color cast in camera. True, Canon got it right with factory defaults, but with the A7S you have the possibility of modifying it and even tweaking it further in post so, I don't really see a problem that cannot be solved by using the camera. Over time you'll get to a point were you have it profiled for every occassion to your liking. 

First of all, thanks for sharing. It seems your "how to" was in demand, though I do not get why some people think grading the a7S's is that much harder...

The luma corrector is unnecessary, you're just performing an operation and undoing part of it with the Fast CC. The luma correction can be done within the Fast Color Corrector, adjusting shadows to 0.3, highlights to 1.0, and the mids to wherever you like in the upper mid section of the waveform.

I know you were not aiming at such a punchy and saturated look -it was just for demonstration purposes, right?-, but the effect of the applied LUT is too "light" in my opinion. If you'd like to get that kind of look punchy from the start and tone it down to your taste I have found that the standard Alexa LUT from Speedgrade/Lumetri will give you that (at least until we have more a7S specific LUTs).

I agree with you that slight color casts (or "color interpretations" from the camera) are not a problem, especially with cameras in which you can dial the preferred color cast in camera. True, Canon got it right with factory defaults, but with the A7S you have the possibility of modifying it and even tweaking it further in post so, I don't really see a problem that cannot be solved by using the camera. Over time you'll get to a point were you have it profiled for every occassion to your liking. 

Hi there,

I understand that I can achieve the same result just using fast cc (adjusting the whites/blacks etc), I just preferred doing it in 2 steps with slog (luma step for the major, fast cc for the minor tweaks) I actually found I got a better image that way, but I think it might of just been a placebo effect.

This was more for the crowd that was just sticking a LUT on it and calling it a day. If you understand the concept behind this, then you can grade anything to your specific preference/look.

What's most important to me, is that I can nearly get the quality of 5d mk3 raw with out the all of the converting. The a7s really does seem to have the dynamic range its marketed to have.