Viewfinder Eye fatigue & looking for a new point & shoot (stills)

Rhood

Hi all,

I love a viewfinder. I really do.
But after seeing through the viewfinder, my vision gets blurred for a few seconds.
I've been having this for quite a long time now, and it's getting worse.
Does anybody have this too?

So now I'm trying to let go of the viewfinder.
I have an XT3 which I use for studio work (and film projects), there it's quite easy to not use the viewfinder.
But I also have a Canon 550D which I still use for point & shoot kind of stuff, not in the compact way that I take it everywhere with me. 
More in the sense of filmset, concert, bands, vacation, etc.
I use the 550D viewfinder only, the screen live view is not very useable for me. A small vintage manual focus 50mm f1.4 lens is almost permanently attached to it.

So the 550D kind of needs a change...
Any advice, suggestions or thoughts? 

If you need some parameters
• I like the 550D's grip's form factor style (the XT3 even with small rig's L bracket grip is slightly awkward handling)
• Some articulation in the screen is good
• If it has a pancake lens with autofocus in the 50mm range, that's great (I do like an aperture ring, but that's probably too much to ask)
• I like dedicated buttons, like with the Fuji X range. But I'm open to other stuff.
• Has to be able to shoot RAW (stills), and the RAW format should be supported by Capture One. 
• Better low light performance than the 550D now that we're changing.
• Budget, let's say around 500. (flexible)

List of things I'm considering
• Fuji XE with a grip attachment (but the 50mm lenses stick out quite a bit, could vintage lens but also quite sticking out)
• Fuji X-Pro with a grip attachment (but the 50mm lenses stick out quite a bit, could vintage lens but also quite sticking out)
• Sigma Quattro seems like nice grip, but the camera seems quite big. Also not sure if C1 supports, and lens mount is sticking out a lot
• A new iPhone with one of those dedicated camera grip things and a (tele)lens attachment. (I actually hate taking pictures with smartphone, but maybe not with these toys)
• Fuji X100 if it had a 50mm f1.8 (or lower) I would have chosen already.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Rhood said:

But after seeing through the viewfinder, my vision gets blurred for a few seconds.

Yep. I just about never use a viewfinder these days and haven't for years.

2 hours ago, Rhood said:

I have an XT3

Stop right there and stick the new 33mm f1.4 on it and et voila, 50mm FF equiv.

It depends on how anyone defines 'Point & Shoot' but superb files out of the XT3, very decent video spec & quality (no IBIS though obviously) and that new lens is reckoned to be a bit of a gem.

With it's tilt screen, I'd call that a P&S.

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Yep. I just about never use a viewfinder these days and haven't for years.

Stop right there and stick the new 33mm f1.4 on it and et voila, 50mm FF equiv.

It depends on how anyone defines 'Point & Shoot' but superb files out of the XT3, very decent video spec & quality (no IBIS though obviously) and that new lens is reckoned to be a bit of a gem.

With it's tilt screen, I'd call that a P&S.

I hadn't really thought about that 😂
But then I kind of need the new XH2S. 
I like having one body (and lenses) in pristine condition for studio & film work, although with film it can get dirty sometimes.
And one body and lens combo for dirty work, the fun thing about my 550D is that I wasn't really worried about it. 

By the way it's 50mm on APS that I'm after, so around 75 on FF
Is the Viltrox 50mm any good? Or are the Fuji ones better? I have the 60 macro, I like it for still life.

16 hours ago, Rhood said:

Hi all,

So now I'm trying to let go of the viewfinder.
I have an XT3 which I use for studio work (and film projects), there it's quite easy to not use the viewfinder.
But I also have a Canon 550D which I still use for point & shoot kind of stuff, not in the compact way that I take it everywhere with me. 
More in the sense of filmset, concert, bands, vacation, etc.
I use the 550D viewfinder only, the screen live view is not very useable for me. A small vintage manual focus 50mm f1.4 lens is almost permanently attached to it.

So the 550D kind of needs a change...
Any advice, suggestions or thoughts? 

If you need some parameters
• I like the 550D's grip's form factor style (the XT3 even with small rig's L bracket grip is slightly awkward handling)
• Some articulation in the screen is good
• If it has a pancake lens with autofocus in the 50mm range, that's great (I do like an aperture ring, but that's probably too much to ask)
• I like dedicated buttons, like with the Fuji X range. But I'm open to other stuff.
• Has to be able to shoot RAW (stills), and the RAW format should be supported by Capture One. 
• Better low light performance than the 550D now that we're changing.
• Budget, let's say around 500. (flexible)

List of things I'm considering
• Fuji XE with a grip attachment (but the 50mm lenses stick out quite a bit, could vintage lens but also quite sticking out)
• Fuji X-Pro with a grip attachment (but the 50mm lenses stick out quite a bit, could vintage lens but also quite sticking out)
• Sigma Quattro seems like nice grip, but the camera seems quite big. Also not sure if C1 supports, and lens mount is sticking out a lot
• A new iPhone with one of those dedicated camera grip things and a (tele)lens attachment. (I actually hate taking pictures with smartphone, but maybe not with these toys)
• Fuji X100 if it had a 50mm f1.8 (or lower) I would have chosen already.

Have you tried adjusting the EVF diopter?  It sounds like yours isn't adjusted properly.  My understanding of how to adjust them is to set it so that your eye doesn't have to change focus when looking at the subject directly and looking at the subject through the viewfinder.

These adjustments are super-powerful - my dad wears pretty strong glasses (which obviously aren't compatible with putting your eye right up to the viewfinder) and he's always been able to adjust them to compensate for his vision, so they're at least as powerful as a pair of relatively strong prescription glasses.  

On 11/7/2022 at 7:20 AM, kye said:

Have you tried adjusting the EVF diopter?  It sounds like yours isn't adjusted properly.  My understanding of how to adjust them is to set it so that your eye doesn't have to change focus when looking at the subject directly and looking at the subject through the viewfinder.

These adjustments are super-powerful - my dad wears pretty strong glasses (which obviously aren't compatible with putting your eye right up to the viewfinder) and he's always been able to adjust them to compensate for his vision, so they're at least as powerful as a pair of relatively strong prescription glasses.  

Thanks for the tip. I don't wear glasses.
I had thought about the diopter, but didn't know the not focusing looking directly at subject and switching to the viewfinder.

Might go with a recent iPhone at the moment. And maybe next year go for XH2S and have the XT3 as backup and replace my 550D.

3 hours ago, Rhood said:

Thanks for the tip. I don't wear glasses.
I had thought about the diopter, but didn't know the not focusing looking directly at subject and switching to the viewfinder.

Might go with a recent iPhone at the moment. And maybe next year go for XH2S and have the XT3 as backup and replace my 550D.

I've found that adjusting diopters can be really tricky because if you adjust them then your eye just adjusts to compensate, so your eyes kind of don't tell you when the diopter is adjusted wrong - you just end up with eye strain after a while and you don't really know why.

On 11/7/2022 at 6:45 AM, MrSMW said:

Fujis new XT5 = XT3 on steroids in every regard except size, - it’s actually smaller.

50mm f2 (75).

Happy days? 

Yes and no imo. XT5 has a 1.22x crop for all its extra resolution and oversampled modes. Uses pixel-binning in several modes. It has superior RS. No ProRes. No 4K120p. And there is overheating limitations due to the smaller body.

XH2S with its stacked sensor is an actual XT3/XT4/XT5 on steroids with super fast read-out allowing low RS at 14-bit, faster AF, 40fps with no blackout, 4K120p, 6.2K Open Gate, ProRes...

But more importantly concerning OPs EVF top issue, XH2S offers a much more comfortable:

5.76M dot OLED viewfinder with 0.8x magnification and up to 120fps refresh

On 11/9/2022 at 2:03 PM, Django said:

Yes and no imo. XT5 has a 1.22x crop for all its extra resolution and oversampled modes. Uses pixel-binning in several modes. It has superior RS. No ProRes. No 4K120p. And there is overheating limitations due to the smaller body.

XH2S with its stacked sensor is an actual XT3/XT4/XT5 on steroids with super fast read-out allowing low RS at 14-bit, faster AF, 40fps with no blackout, 4K120p, 6.2K Open Gate, ProRes...

But more importantly concerning OPs EVF top issue, XH2S offers a much more comfortable:

5.76M dot OLED viewfinder with 0.8x magnification and up to 120fps refresh

Yes the XH2S is very interesting. Although I wouldn't buy it as a trashcam.
If I buy the XH2S it would make my XT3 my carry around.
But not sure if it's smart to invest into this right now.

I've been looking around and found some interesting models to replace my 550D, Fuji XM1, Fuji XA10, Fuji XA7. Any user experiences? Used prices vary a lot, sometimes comes into XE2S or XE3 territory.