Anyone know a cheap monitor with 0.5x anamorphic desqueeze?

Owlgreen

I'd like to try some vertically-oriented-sensor anamorphic shooting, intending to arrive at a square or 4:3 format. It would be helpful to have a monitor with a 0.5x desqueeze option, as opposed to the more common 2x desqueeze. I guess you could also call it a 2x squeeze, if that makes sense. Does anyone know of a monitor capable of this, especially an affordable one? A mobile app solution could also work. Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm confused.  Anamorphic lenses squeeze the image and the monitor de-squeezes it so that round things stay round and your actors don't sue you.

If you're shooting with an anamorphic lens then wouldn't you still need to have a monitor that desqueezes it?  Or do you want to have people looking like bean poles / trolls?

2 hours ago, Owlgreen said:

Effectively, I want to be able to turn the anamorphic elements of the lens 90° relative to the way they would typically be oriented. The axis of the desqueeze would then also need to be rotated 90° for proper monitoring. 

That makes more sense.  I'm assuming the de-squeeze functions of the monitors aren't orientation specific - otherwise just tilting the monitor would fix it.

I'm not aware of any, but I'd suggest that @Tito Ferradans might be the best person to ask, if he's around and notices I've tagged him 🙂 

I know there are monitors around where you can enter the squeeze factor yourself rather than choosing pre-defined values, but I don't know if they would go <1.

1 hour ago, Owlgreen said:

Do you know any model names?

No, but I think it might have been either on the DSLR Video Shooter YT channel or on the Anamorphic on a Budget channel.  I vaguely remember that it might have been in a monitor roundup style video where they compare various monitors, but I can't recall exactly.

Hope that helps, although googling things like "custom desqueeze monitor" etc might generate some results?