For sale: very rare Kowa 35 X1.5 attachment!!!

woopax

post-27208-0-30102200-1404848470_thumb.jpost-27208-0-59250800-1404848474_thumb.jpost-27208-0-62848000-1404848477_thumb.jpost-27208-0-57175600-1404848480_thumb.j

Hi guys,

For sale is this extremely rare Kowa 35 x1.5 attachment. It has an incredible quality and sharpness. The large glass elements – rear 45mm and front 60mm, promise minimal distortion, less vignetting and more light to the sensor. Still it is quite compact (similar in size to the Kowa 8z/16h).

That fact puts it's image quality in the pro level, not like the tiny 8mm baby lenses out there.

It is a double focusing adapter, but the focus ring is very smooth and I didn't find it as a big issue to get the focus right.

Minimal focus on barrel is 5 feet (1.5 meter) but the focus turns over this marking and so you can get a sharp image already around 1 meter, which is about as half as the Iscorama.

It comes with a self made clamp, which is usable, even if not a piece of art. You might find a better solution, but it's definitely fine for a start.

Comes also with an original Hasselblad leather case.

Lens is in a great condition for it's age. Glass is in a very good shape in both elements and focus ring turns very smooth and easy. 

Price is 1200€ + shipping via Paypal.

You can also get a Tokina famous diopter +0.4 new in a box for extra 200€ (not for sale separately at this stage)

Please check this sample video that I shot with it today on my BMPC 4k:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

How come much more expensive than 16h/8z?  Do you think the 1.5x lens has more worthy than 2x lens? or just rare?

I really think it's better than the 8z in terms of quality, especially because it seems to have very minimal to no distortion.

Anyway, regardless the comparison, it's image is simply fantastic. It has a very organic and cinematic feel. Check the test footage and tell me if i'm wrong. 

Besides, x1.5 compering to x2 is a huge difference, which upgrades your footage from an experimental ratio (3.55:1) to a usable anamorphic material (2.66:1). So even if you can get very nice results with the 8z - it's just the wrong ratio when shooting 16:9.

And sure, the prices are high because you can't find those lenses anymore and no company out there seem to make a similar lenses soon in such quality.

I wouldn't compare the Kowa 35x1.5 it to the 8z which was a consumer lens and has probably hundreds if not thousand of copies going around the world. 

But I know for M43 sensor is 4:3, and 2x lens I used as 1.875x for most restoration.  So the ratio is only 2.5:1. 

BTW, there is a 1.5x lens price for reference: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221431697341

Yes, I think you're right about the sensor. but the problem is that almost all the manufacturers don't allow the option of 4:3 video shooting. I'm not sure why, but that's the reality.

The lens in that link is a joke compering to the Kowa. I tried it so i know exactly what i'm talking about. The one there is a focus-through lens which you might be able to adjust with a screw driver only (!) and...while adjusting it, it actually slips from alignment  and you have to re-align with your feeling. very unprofessional... It might give you some nice footage if you use it right, but never ever a clean professional look like the Kowa. It's like compering an old mobile phone to a canon 5d mark 3 because they both make pictures. 

This adapter in this link is from a small unexperienced british manufacturer, and I wouldn't put this glass in front of my lens if I want a quality image. Maybe for fun or for the sake of experiencing. 

Anyway, i'd be happy to answer you privately for further similar questions, but let's keep it here a relevant discussion for the lens that I'm selling. Thanks! 

the lens gives really nice images, I saw your video & it's very cinematic indeed. & you are right: 1.5x is far more desirable than 2x, as Iscorama 1.33x is, against the Iscorama 1.5x... things are like that... Good luck with your sale.

by the way, your nikon lens is f1.8, not f1.7 that you write in video's info.

the lens gives really nice images, I saw your video & it's very cinematic indeed. & you are right: 1.5x is far more desirable than 2x, as Iscorama 1.33x is, against the Iscorama 1.5x... things are like that... Good luck with your sale.

by the way, your nikon lens is f1.8, not f1.7 that you write in video's info.

Thanks for the feedback Yannis!

And you're right, the Nikon is really f1.8:)

I wonder how much my Kowa 35 Inflight x1.75 is worth then!?*

* does a dance whilst rubbing hands.

I think it safe to say that the Kowa 35's were made with top level quality from some of the best designers from that period, same optic quality as used in their cinema scope optics if I recall correctly from Redstan. I don't know the exact jump in quality from 'normal' to 'inflight' versions, but I'm sure the inflights are considerably rarer, if not just for the x1.75 squeeze and larger 54mm rear.

Footage looks good, what I'd expect from my kowa = impressively sharp wide open but still very organic.

Good luck with the sale.

I wonder how much my Kowa 35 Inflight x1.75 is worth then!?*

* does a dance whilst rubbing hands.

I think it safe to say that the Kowa 35's were made with top level quality from some of the best designers from that period, same optic quality as used in their cinema scope optics if I recall correctly from Redstan. I don't know the exact jump in quality from 'normal' to 'inflight' versions, but I'm sure the inflights are considerably rarer, if not just for the x1.75 squeeze and larger 54mm rear.

Footage looks good, what I'd expect from my kowa = impressively sharp wide open but still very organic.

Good luck with the sale.

Thanks Häns,

I really think that in terms of image quality, this glass can pair with top anaorphic lenses out there. Here you also have the advantage of flexibility with the choice of the taking lens, naturally the disadvantage of convenience. But If you think about it this way, the price really makes sense (compare it with a price of a set of Kowa anamorphics...)

So you would pay as half as what you would pay for an Iscorama these days, and get a great lens that works also without a frequent hassle of diopters (better minimum focus) and most likely has a better image. 

I've actually seen a bit more of the inflight x1.75 out there, but they're indeed very rare as well. I have a feeling they were made in a later period than the c35 x1.5, just because of their design and the fact you can often find them in a good shape. 

• 2 years later...