5D MKII lowlight

Nikkor

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I wish companies would start working on dynamic range, color science, rolling shutter, aliasing-moire free images, rather than on low-light. A 5D or GH4 or a Canon rebel is all I really need to shoot good images in extremely low-light.

I wish companies would start working on dynamic range, color science, rolling shutter, aliasing-moire free images, rather than on low-light. A 5D or GH4 or a Canon rebel is all I really need to shoot good images in extremely low-light.

I would guess this has to do with the influx of amateur filmmakers who don't know how to use lights(thank the canon DSLR revolution) and have been chirping in the ears of these camera manufacturers for better low light capabilities.

Lights can be scary, but they are a big factor in amateur vs pro shoots(amateurs seem to use window/available light exclusively and pros will prefer to light it the way they want).  Plus to my eye the low light high ISO stuff looks weird and very unnatural. 

Am I blind? What is it about the colour there that is not achievable by the a7s?

The colors look natural, not posterized, faded, or magenta-hued.  The whole spectrum is rather faithfully represented, and the highlights blow out in a pleasing way.  Most of the A7S footage I've seen has a brittle, desaturated look with digital-looking highlights, odd color casts, and often a tint toward magenta.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I don't know what it is, or if it's true at all, but I always seem to find certain characteristics I love in how Canon colours look, whether 8 bit or 14bit.

Look at how much energy is brought into the image by the colours in the small background street lights. Little, yet thick reds and blues and greens and all the shades in between. The colours just somehow I can't quite scientifically explain, sing. Sing in a way of screaming "I am alive!" It picks up all colours in the image and boomifies them in a certain way.

It's not always the look one wants (doesn't look like 35mm film for example) but it definitely "is" a look, and suits certain type of shoots, something energized, fast movement, intense car races, fighting, rock music! Etc

From my experience I found that the company closest to that colour look, is Nikon, almost identical. And the companies farthest from that certain look, are ones like blackmagic, which do provide lovely colours but just a different look, not worse in any way, just different. The alexa colours are way far from that certain look too for example. These cameras suit other types of shoots. Pansonic are somewhere in between the two, so can be corrected easier to match either looks in color grading. Sony, I have no idea and haven't exprienced Sony enough to understand how they handle colour, which I hope I will with the a7s soon.

I found that this certain Canon look in colours, can also be recreated with any camera in post production, but takes a professional colourist with proper experience to perfect it if the camera is far off from that certain look. But not impossible. It can be recreated in post.

I've just started using my 5DII as a raw machine recently and I love it, this night stuff looks really great and natural. I need to get the anti aliasing filter for mine so I can do more wide shots during the day without it getting too moire-y. I shot a bunch a couple weekends ago just to test it and love the look. 

http://youtu.be/--umjPBUqFU

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

The colors look natural, not posterized, faded, or magenta-hued.  The whole spectrum is rather faithfully represented, and the highlights blow out in a pleasing way.  Most of the A7S footage I've seen has a brittle, desaturated look with digital-looking highlights, odd color casts, and often a tint toward magenta.

Why aren't more people talking about this? I totally agree. I wonder if 422 via HDMI will improve things at all?

Lights can be scary, but they are a big factor in amateur vs pro shoots(amateurs seem to use window/available light exclusively and pros will prefer to light it the way they want).  Plus to my eye the low light high ISO stuff looks weird and very unnatural. 

Natural lighting with the sun is actually a more complicated process that requires more craftsmanship, experience and patience than lighting with artificial lights, often with superior results.

The amateurs you mentioned are using neither the sun, nor artificial lights, they are simply relying on low light sensor without any regard to light at all. Big difference.

I would favour a prism system similar to the old RGB in video cameras, except that instead of RGB there would be ND of 0 stop, 2 stop and 4 stop, which combined could give HDR video on the fly.

Natural lighting with the sun is actually a more complicated process that requires more craftsmanship, experience and patience than lighting with artificial lights, often with superior results.

The amateurs you mentioned are using neither the sun, nor artificial lights, they are simply relying on low light sensor without any regard to light at all. Big difference.

"Hey look, we can just crank the ISO to 12800 and shoot video! Who needs lights?"