More grading fun with cheap Lumix FZ47 CCD sensor bridge camera

dreamplayhouse

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There are a few of these older consumer cameras with a CCD sensor which could do video (not many though, as the CMOS sensor were already starting to become much more popular by the time video was arriving as well). 

I wonder which might be the "best" of these CCD cameras that are video capable? 

Great clip! It had a real look to it. It did not scream "digital" to me at all. Blue on blue was surreal and cool. The FZ-47 has pretty wierd and not necessarily realistic color rendering that sometimes reminds me of a chemical process. I love mine. We're probably the only two FZ-47 video shooters on the internet in 2022.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I wonder which might be the "best" of these CCD cameras that are video capable? 

I would argue that despite its limitations (29.97fps, 1/2.3" sensor, slow lens, no HDMI) it's the FZ-47. There aren't many other contenders that have full manual control:

• Lumix LX5 (faster lens, but 720P)
  • Lumix FZ35 (same as FZ47, but 720P only)
  • Canon Powershot S95/G12 (720P, manual control available if hacked with CDHK; 24fps available)

If there are any others, I would love to know about them. But I don't think there are. I've been looking for years. ; )

14 hours ago, dreamplayhouse said:

Some video from my daughter's dance show. Trying to get a 16mm film look - grading in Resolve. No audio.

What do you think?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8clsz53kl2olc5/fz47 lena dance 16mm.mov?dl=0

Looking really good!

I'm no expert, but it looked pretty close to a 16mm film look to me.  Potentially an earlier 16mm film perhaps?  My understanding is that 8mm film was pretty noisy at first but advances in the stock mean that modern 8mm is better than 16mm used to be, and that modern 16mm is now better than 35mm used to be, etc.  

2 hours ago, QuickHitRecord said:

Great clip! It had a real look to it. It did not scream "digital" to me at all. Blue on blue was surreal and cool. The FZ-47 has pretty wierd and not necessarily realistic color rendering that sometimes reminds me of a chemical process.

In my brief explorations, a bit of blur and some grain and a bit of a push to the colours (or a subject with limited hues) really does wonders to knock the digititis out of an image.

For the sake of discussion, here's a little comparison from a while back between all of the smaller cameras I own (the SD9 is a CCD camcorder):

fZ47.thumb.jpg.5c868f24784975d724e4d1616b3ae57c.jpg

^FZ47

EOS-R.thumb.jpg.a56ea8b5964330ce86b385fca4035853.jpg

^EOS-R

GH1.thumb.jpg.81d4867826170f320d6ee11a7e6a02e5.jpg

^GH1

G85.thumb.jpg.d99ff944b3c68ed38604ad7596734e75.jpg

^G85

SD9.thumb.jpg.89c0289f0967f487c8009a9fcae7e6ca.jpg

^SD9

The two CCD cameras have that kind of muted, undersaturated skintone that I associate with some of the older S16 film stocks (though I really don't like the SD9 as much -- which is just as well, because you can't turn the auto ISO off while shooting).