New video - gets rid of Jello for Sony A7S

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hi David, thank for your experiments!
The rolling shutter issue seems drastically reduced. The image looks smoother in APS-C but I think that a little of sharpening in post could solve this problem. I see a little bit (very little) of aliasing sometime (in the handrail 1'24") but I'd say that in APS-c mode the A7s can be handheld with no worryes.
Did you use OIS lenses?

thanks - no OIS lesnes.  Yes the benefit of not having rolling shutter issues I think makes it worth it.

I love the A7S a lot now especially with solving the rolling shutter issue for me.  It's such a solid, great little camera.  Very very handy to have.  Now I have to figure out the right color settings for the best skin tones!

Ed

You might find this useful http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?303559-Measuring-rolling-shutter-put-a-number-on-this-issue The same thing goes for the GH4 in 1080p mode, much less rolling shutter. It has a very stable frame. The ExTele mode which is effectively a digital 2x converter works really well in 1080. The GH4 is proving to be a great 1080 camera for me.

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

Interesting test. Makes this camera much more versatile. Personally I think for some shooting styles rolling shutter should be embraced - if you know when it is going to happen and can exercise some control over how it affects the image (the "rhythm" of the jello perhaps?) then it can be a pleasant "flaw" just like lens flare etc. I'm sure all of this has been said before ...

Lovely shots by the way. Really nice. Exactly kind of subject matter this camera lends itself to imo. The grade is very nice too, though not my cup of tea. I still haven't seen ANY footage from the A7S that looks really convincing in terms of colour. Everything I've seen looks a little washed-out/thin. Perhaps this is because everyone is trying to extract maximum DR from the image so flattening it a bit too much, but I'm not sure ...

• Administrators

Ed

Again a really nice, useful test.

I am surprised at the quality of the APS-C mode. I had expected to see some moire or aliasing but it's very smooth looking!

Good about the rolling shutter - again this is front page news and I will post about it.

Should be getting my A7S this week... FINALLY!  :rolleyes:

Or just get a a6000...

For me the APS-C crop mode looks better on the A7S than the A6000. Codec looks more robust especially for 60p, it's 50Mbit vs 24/28. Low light performance will still be better in the crop mode and so will dynamic range because it isn't pixel binning sensor side.

With the A7S we have got our 'full frame GH2' we always wanted, with a bit of 7D Mark II thrown in as part of the same deal.

Won't stop people moaning but I am loving it personally  :wub:

Wow that was a girly smilie!!

For me the APS-C crop mode looks better on the A7S than the A6000. Codec looks more robust especially for 60p, it's 50Mbit vs 24/28. Low light performance will still be better in the crop mode and so will dynamic range because it isn't pixel binning sensor side.

With the A7S we have got our 'full frame GH2' we always wanted, with a bit of 7D Mark II thrown in as part of the same deal.

Won't stop people moaning but I am loving it personally  :wub:

Wow that was a girly smilie!!

Well that's great news, I must resist GAS...

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

[EOSHD] We haven’t even got an elegant way to record 4K from it yet but you can bet your house on the fact I will be using an Atomos Shogun with this camera.

Aren't we in the same boat here as with the GH4? If you are going to downscale to HD anyway, why not capture 4k to a 1080 Ninja? I assume the A7S can do this? You'll get 422 (and presumably a slightly sharper image?). "Beefier" colour from the A7S would be a massive plus-point imo.

I haven't been following the A7S threads closely - has somebody already tried this? If not it would be very interesting.

Andrew, has your Ninja arrived yet?

My guess is the a7S is doing full sensor readout, even in 1080p, which is increasing the jello effect over other full frame cameras.  I am going to guess, that unlike the GH4, the a7S will not have an increase in jello effect in 4K (no data yet to prove this hypothesis, so we'll see later).

Michael

Someone who had an early copy of the A7s posted a video to youtube showing no resolution loss in crop mode. That video has since been pulled but it was pretty convincing. In the meantime here's another video showing the relative noise between FF and crop mode - looks about the expected 1.x stops:

Reinforcing Ed's discovery, here's another Full Frame VS APS-C example:

This is a nice test.  Jello less, but not eliminated with APS-C.  I think the images have more dynamic range, better color, and less noise in full frame.  Look at the shadows in the kid's shirts for instance.  The map colors are more saturated in full frame, and less noise.  I don't see much change in detail between the two, particularly the maps, which is surprising.

Michael