Strangr Grouse

sanveer

I have a strange grouse. Nowadays everyone posts some random footage video of new cameras and equipment and calls it a Short Film. Why do people shoot random video without a story to support them, and term them as short films? Why has this come about

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Because they are short films. Whether you like them or not, is another story.

Maybe you lost the plot. I did not take a certain short film out, and say that I did not like the story, or story telling, in that one. What I said was, that nowadays, a compilation of random shots is strung together, and labelled a short film. 

Maybe you lost the plot. I did not take a certain short film out, and say that I did not like the story, or story telling, in that one. What I said was, that nowadays, a compilation of random shots is strung together, and labelled a short film.

We'll yeah, why not? Who's to say? Why is a "story" fundamental to a thing we label "short film"? Surely this website proves that the field is wide and diverse. Lately I've seen far more captivating "short films" that incorporate random shots strung together than "short films" that attempt to piece together some narrative that conforms to some formula.

I can't sleep at night because of this.

Most shortfilms are a way of learning and showing off/ confirming your skills. If your skills are taking random shots that look nice, your short will be such thing. If you want to give it another name, that's fine.

Why do people shoot random ... without a story ... and term them as short films?

You should go back in time and ask the crew that shot "Man With A Movie Camera" if their film was indeed a film.

That said, random technical tests shots with a music bed are not really films, IMHO.

Here's a '"short film" I stumbled on the other day. Hand held, highlights blown, minimal grading if any. I presume it's coverage of some contemporary art show, but generally it seems "random". I think it's great. Someone is obviously thinking behind the camera.