The new Fujifilm X-T5!

IronFilm

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

As a 1st AC (or heck, as a cameraman) my personal record is going through THIRTEEN batteries on a (not even long!) shoot with an original BMD Pocket Cinema Camera for a music video. 

How many batteries did you have with you.

Don't say 13!!

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I'm disappointed nobody has brought out a "lock off" mode for IBIS, where they grip it in place so it doesn't move at all, not even a millimeter. 

I've had the same thought.  I suspect that it's difficult to make a mechanism that is robust enough, small enough, and doesn't consume too much power.

Perhaps more practically, maybe something could be made that would need to be manually installed (perhaps with the same complexity as an interchangeable lens mount).  That would mean that on different projects the camera could be used in different ways, and not have to be two separate models (like GH5 and GH5s).

I can't think of anyone that would want to just be able to turn it on and off instantly.  Most people that want it to be able to be hard-mounted will also just use a gimbal to stabilise it.  Those who want IBIS probably aren't hard-mounting it on the same day as shooting hand-held.  Maybe I'm wrong though.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

LESS THAN thirteen batteries. 

(was constantly running back to the chargers to cycle through the handful of batteries we had, and we were using a big heavy car battery to use to charge up the dead batteries)

Damn!  That's the wrong way to make a day more exciting!

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

(was constantly running back to the chargers to cycle through the handful of batteries we had, and we were using a big heavy car battery to use to charge up the dead batteries)

I know this is way off topic, but I read somewhere that the newest generation of Nikon batteries that fit the original Pocket have longer life: you can probably run the Pocket for a whole 20-25 minutes on one instead of the 10-15 minutes max that I got from my old ones. I just use a NP-F adapter nowadays; haven't used internal batteries in years.

11 hours ago, bjohn said:

I know this is way off topic, but I read somewhere that the newest generation of Nikon batteries that fit the original Pocket have longer life: you can probably run the Pocket for a whole 20-25 minutes on one instead of the 10-15 minutes max that I got from my old ones. I just use a NP-F adapter nowadays; haven't used internal batteries in years.

I run mine on a Sony BP-U60, goes all day on that. 

14 hours ago, bjohn said:

The latest batteries for the OG BMPCC get WAY more than that - I got 49 minutes of RAW recording from one 1200mAh battery, and 33 minutes of Prores HQ from a different battery (but it wasn't fully charged).

I unpacked the brand new Wasabi 1200mAh batteries and put them on to charge, so the test was done taking a brand new battery straight out of the charger. I was recording in RAW the card filled up after 23m, with the battery at 54%, so I formatted the card and hit record again, and when it got to 5% battery life it was at 26m, which makes 49m for one the life of a single 1200mAh battery.  That's probably a best-case scenario, but it's pretty darn good if you ask me.  

Second brand new battery recording Prores HQ died around the 20% battery mark, and recorded a 33:22s file.  I'm not sure if it charged properly as the charger kept turning off but it only registered 81% in the camera when I put it in, so maybe not fully charged, but that's also not bad.

This is approaching the battery life of the modern gigapixel monsters that dominate the market now.  The BMPCC battery life complaints are something that used to be bad but are much more 'normal' now, not great, but not unheard of either.

22 hours ago, IronFilm said:

LESS THAN thirteen batteries. 

Reminds me of my early Fuji X days...

6 hours ago, kye said:

The latest batteries for the OG BMPCC get WAY more than that - I got 49 minutes of RAW recording from one 1200mAh battery

Wow! I'm going to get some. That's about what I get from a Canon battery on my BMMCC and it's totally acceptable. With the earlier batteries, I had about enough time to set up the date and time, white balance, metadata, etc. and then changed batteries to do the actual shoot.

On 11/6/2022 at 5:35 AM, MrSMW said:

Reminds me of my early Fuji X days...

...or current days, if you don't use a X-T4 or X-H2.

Filmed my daughter's birthday with my X-S10. Ok, I always use Boost Mode ON, but the 1st battery died with only 40 mins of non-continuous shooting...

X-S10, with IBIS, just chews smaller batteires.

On 11/4/2022 at 2:41 AM, kye said:

I never thought about that, but yes, that makes sense.  

When I was doing stills I would shoot exclusively RAW images as the JPG versions always clipped the highlights (which is madness, but there we are), so if the file sizes of those doubled/tripled/quadrupled then that would potentially be a big deal and most people wouldn't really want 48MP over 12MP / 16MP / 24MP.  I mean, 12MP sounds pretty low res, but it's the same detail as 4K RAW video, which is plenty good enough for most purposes.

Of course, the storage requirements of shooting RAW stills is laughable compared to that of video, but for stills-only shooters it might be a thing.

You always note the difference - I tought than moving from the 20mp m4/3 to 26mp X-mount will not bring too much of a difference, but I was wrong. Both in quality and storage requirements...

For some instances, 40mp would be very useful. For concert shooting, the ability to crop from 40mp to 20mp would be very welcome. But for "no crop" work, not so much.

One thing that was never explained (or tested): if you drop the resolution from 40mp to 20mp in stills, it is oversampled or line-skipped? If you don't need the 40mp for some work, a oversampled 20mp image could both bring less storage requirements AND (maybe) more color accuracy. This would be a very interesting alternative to me - albeit, if oversampled, probably would not diminish rolling shutter (could even increase it).

And for video, the 40mp sensor needing to crop to be oversampled in 4k was a HUGE bummer.

19 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

You always note the difference - I tought than moving from the 20mp m4/3 to 26mp X-mount will not bring too much of a difference, but I was wrong. Both in quality and storage requirements...

For some instances, 40mp would be very useful. For concert shooting, the ability to crop from 40mp to 20mp would be very welcome. But for "no crop" work, not so much.

One thing that was never explained (or tested): if you drop the resolution from 40mp to 20mp in stills, it is oversampled or line-skipped? If you don't need the 40mp for some work, a oversampled 20mp image could both bring less storage requirements AND (maybe) more color accuracy. This would be a very interesting alternative to me - albeit, if oversampled, probably would not diminish rolling shutter (could even increase it).

And for video, the 40mp sensor needing to crop to be oversampled in 4k was a HUGE bummer.

Oh yeah, extra resolution is noticeable - especially when you're the one taking the shots and able to pixel-pee in post.

I guess the challenge I have with high resolution is that it only excites my brain - any image that has made me FEEL anything has either been 2MP or analog, and most of the seriously emotional images were actually slightly blurry.

I don't know if higher resolution stops me from feeling something or stops the shooter from creating emotive images, but whatever it is, as resolution goes up they become less important.

For me personally Fuji screwed up by putting the XH2 40mp sensor inside XT5's reduced body size.

This creates overheating, extra crop factors and line skipping issues. ProRes was also removed, for cripple hammer segmenting reasons with XH series.

Would have much preferred XH2S stacked sensor with lower MP and no 6K/8K options but faster read-out speed. Maybe an XT5S option would have been ideal but again maybe the smaller body size might be the real bottleneck when it comes to heat management.

I'm sad because XT5 used to be Fuji's all-rounder (well since XT2) but it is now a high MP stills oriented camera with newfound video limitations. 

You simply have to step up to XH series for proper hybrid Fuji when I much prefer the top dials, form factor and tilt screen of the XT series.

50 minutes ago, Django said:

For me personally Fuji screwed up by putting the XH2 40mp sensor inside XT5's reduced body size.

This creates overheating, extra crop factors and line skipping issues. ProRes was also removed, for cripple hammer segmenting reasons with XH series.

Would have much preferred XH2S stacked sensor with lower MP and no 6K/8K options but faster read-out speed. Maybe an XT5S option would have been ideal but again maybe the smaller body size might be the real bottleneck when it comes to heat management.

I'm sad because XT5 used to be Fuji's all-rounder (well since XT2) but it is now a high MP stills oriented camera with newfound video limitations. 

You simply have to step up to XH series for proper hybrid Fuji when I much prefer the top dials, form factor and tilt screen of the XT series.

Still hope that lower models keeps the 26mp current sensor with the new processor - which for me, would be ideal.