The new Fujifilm X-T5!

IronFilm

The X-T3 / T-T4 have been so good, and well received by filmmakers, they're really what made a name for Fujifilm among mirrorless filmmakers (along with the X-H series). Hopefully the Fujifilm X-T5 carries on this tradition! 

Has a 40.2 megapixel sensor just like in the X-H2. Here are the movie recording specs:

Movie Compression
All Intra/Long-GOP
File Size / Frame Rate / Recording Time
6.2K (16:9) – 6240 x3150: 29.97p/ 25p/ 24p/ 23.98p 360Mbps/ 200Mbps/ 100Mbps/ 50Mbps

DCI 4K (17:9) – 4096 x2160: 59.94p/ 50p/ 29.97p/ 25p/ 24p/ 23.98p 360Mbps/ 200Mbps/100Mbps/50Mbps

4K (16:9) – 3840 x2160: 59.94p/ 50p/ 29.97p/ 25p/ 24p/ 23.98p 720Mbps/ 360Mbps/ 200Mbps/ 100Mbps/ 50Mbps

Full HD (17:9) -2048 x1080: 59.94p/ 50p/ 29.97p/ 25p/ 24p/ 23.98p 360Mbps/ 200Mbps/ 100Mbps/ 50Mbps

Full HD (16:9) – 1920 x1080: 59.94p/ 50p/ 29.97p/ 25p/ 24p/ 23.98p 360Mbps/ 200Mbps/ 100Mbps/ 50Mbps

Full HD High speed rec. (17:9) – 2048×1080: 240p/200p/ 120p/ 100p 360Mbps(recording)/ 200Mbps(recording)

Full HD High speed rec. (16:9) – 1920×1080: 240p/200p/ 120p/
100p/360Mbps(recording)/ 200Mbps(recording)

Weight is even lighter than the X-T3! 

The X-T5 is looking like a good choice for people who want a smaller/lighter/cheaper X-H2 (without 8K though, but you still have 6K), as price is meant to be the same as the X-T4 was ($1699).

Found this to be an interesting article on what FujifilmRumors feels is the historical relationship between the X-T and X-H series:
https://www.fujirumors.com/how-the-fujifilm-x-h-line-saved-the-fujifilm-x-t5/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So XH2 sensor and specs minus 8K (6.2K is actually a better resolution/file size ratio imo) in an XT body with the top dials and a 3-way tilt screen, probably my favourite design here (I'm sure @MrSMW will be happy to see this as well). All that for $1700 is a major WIN. If only it had open gate it would be an instant buy for me.

What a month for camera announcements!

I’m going to check it out for sure…

The ONLY thing bothering me with the XH2 was the screen.

The lack of 8k here does not bother me and I wasn’t really interested on the XH2 anyway because it’s not 50/60p.

I know, I know, moon on a stick etc, can’t have it all, especially at the price, but I’m otherwise not bothered about anything beyond uncropped internal 10 bit 422 4K 50p. Maybe 100p for very occasional use but otherwise don’t need it.

OK, off to see what the XT5 is…

"Fujifilm says the camera can shoot 6.2K/30 video for 90 minutes or 4K/60p for 60 minutes at 25°C (77°F); these numbers drop significantly at higher temperatures, and there's no option to add a fan to compensate".

And with that sentence, it died for me.

My typical shooting temps are anything from 20-40 degrees C and some of my ceremonies & speeches can go over 1 hour.

No fan. Dead to me.

I could for this longer form stuff use 6k 25p, but still, those times are for 25c and not the 40+ and direct sunlight I can be working in.

Why oh why oh why Fuji did you not keep this tilt LCD that both the XT3 and XH1 had with the XH2?!

XF30 stays in the shopping basket.

9 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

"Fujifilm says the camera can shoot 6.2K/30 video for 90 minutes or 4K/60p for 60 minutes at 25°C (77°F); these numbers drop significantly at higher temperatures, and there's no option to add a fan to compensate".

And with that sentence, it died for me.

My typical shooting temps are anything from 20-40 degrees C and some of my ceremonies & speeches can go over 1 hour.

No fan. Dead to me.

I could for this longer form stuff use 6k 25p, but still, those times are for 25c and not the 40+ and direct sunlight I can be working in.

Why oh why oh why Fuji did you not keep this tilt LCD that both the XT3 and XH1 had with the XH2?!

XF30 stays in the shopping basket.

Was it Fuji that had a screw-on fan that attached to the back of the camera and took power from the camera?  or am I remembering another brand?

..Furthermore.. there is a 1.23x crop in 6.2K & 4K HQ shooting. and no ProRes codecs anymore. alongside potential overheating issues and high rolling shutter this camera is also dead to me. a real shame as I really like the top dials, compact form factor and tilt screen a lot more than XH2/XH2S. But from watching the Fuji Summit it appears clear Fuji are now further dissociating XT & XH series. XT is much more photo oriented with severe video caveats and XH are the hybrids. XH2S remains the one for me personally..

Been waiting patiently for this one. I've always loved the form factor and specs of the XT3 and XT4. For me it's the perfect stealth camera for b-roll in the field. Particularly in places and  countries where larger DSLRs make you an easy target for thieves. All that said, the poor AF in video mode has always been a deal breaker for me - so hoping they've finally stepped it up with the XT5. Otherwise for me it's a toss up between an R6 MKII or a used R5. Either way we are truly spoilt for solid options going into 2023!

22 minutes ago, Ty Harper said:

Been waiting patiently for this one. I've always loved the form factor and specs of the XT3 and XT4. For me it's the perfect stealth camera for b-roll in the field. Particularly in places and  countries where larger DSLRs make you an easy target for thieves. All that said, the poor AF in video mode has always been a deal breaker for me - so hoping they've finally stepped it up with the XT5. Otherwise for me it's a toss up between an R6 MKII or a used R5. Either way we are truly spoilt for solid options going into 2023!

Poor AF?  I’ve heard it’s usuable

Like I said above Fuji is really segmenting the XT & XH series.

The XT is heavily stills oriented hence the smaller and lighter body (close to an XT1) tilt screen and 40MP sensor. The downside for video is obviously heat management and crop factor.

This forces hybrid and video centric users towards XH series. I’m disappointed by this but it makes sense on a segmented strategy perspective..

2 hours ago, kye said:

Was it Fuji that had a screw-on fan that attached to the back of the camera and took power from the camera?  or am I remembering another brand?

Yup. XH2 and XH2S.

I was OK with that and it kind of made sense ie, pay for and bolt on a fan if you want or need and if you don’t, well then you ain’t spending your hard-earned unnecessarily, plus smaller and lighter unit without.

Give me built in or bolt on ever time, ie, anything without is a no go for me these days.

I do like the form factor of the XT but the simple reality is it’s not the right tool for the job for me.

Having used the XT line for professional video since the xt-2 I feel I can confidently say that the XT cameras punch well above their weight for good looking video but you are definitely losing a lot by not using a more video-focused body. I've never had clients complain about image quality and had many compliments but I've also had to come up with many work arounds for stuff. I don't see much of a reason now to get the XT series for video work unless you have a specific need for high quality stills and video that you switch between constantly in a small and cheapish setup. I had that need for a while but it's much less important for me now. Also, they just look so good.

8 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

Poor AF?  I’ve heard it’s usuable

Unusable is (normally) a word that is relatively useless because:

1. It says that the AF performance falls below some specific threshold of performance that is not quantified and isn't disclosed, so there's no way to know if it will be good enough for your needs.  I have determined that Canon and Sony AF is unusable for my needs (seriously - I'm not being dramatic) and I use MF because of that.
  2. The word is normally used by people that mostly shoot their mouths off online, but rarely shoot anything other than camera tests (if they shoot at all!) 🙂 
6 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I can't help but feel like we're moving backwards when overheating is an issue that keeps creeping back in.

Stop with the 6 or 8K resolution nonsense and just put out a camera that can do 4K 60p without overheating. It's not rocket science.

If only!

The primary purpose for 8K cameras is to sell 8K TVs, so there's no way they're going to let overheating of 8K MILC cameras get in the way of selling 200 million TVs each year!

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Yup. XH2 and XH2S.

I was OK with that and it kind of made sense ie, pay for and bolt on a fan if you want or need and if you don’t, well then you ain’t spending your hard-earned unnecessarily, plus smaller and lighter unit without.

Give me built in or bolt on ever time, ie, anything without is a no go for me these days.

I do like the form factor of the XT but the simple reality is it’s not the right tool for the job for me.

It there any chance they'll release one for this camera?  The giveaway might be the little port that it plugs into...

5 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Pretty cool, sounds like downsampled 8k to 6k isn't that feasible yet. I still think 8k is overkill for both video and photo. 6k sensors are awesome. 

Considering that 8K is 16x the data of 1080p, and 6K is only about 8x the data of 1080p, there's quite a substantial difference.  

5 hours ago, kye said:

It there any chance they'll release one for this camera?  The giveaway might be the little port that it plugs into...

The XH line has holes for it to attach to but as far as I am aware, the XT not.

I believe it is a decision to really differentiate the 2 lines which is interesting because then how will that play out with the lesser models and the X100.

The latter is the one I am interested most in… X100V with 40mp sensor?

11 hours ago, kye said:

It says that the AF performance falls below some specific threshold of performance that is not quantified and isn't disclosed, so there's no way to know if it will be good enough for your needs.  I have determined that Canon and Sony AF is unusable for my needs (seriously - I'm not being dramatic) and I use MF because of that.

AF performance can absolutely be quantified. How it levels to your particular needs is subjective though obviously.

Generally speaking subpar AF performance is simply an AF system that hunts/pumps or/and doesn't stick to your subject.

Then you've got second gen PDAF that detects left/right eyes of various subjects. Object, animal etc detection.

And finally tracking. Canon/Sony have tap to track which Fuji is still lacking.

11 hours ago, kye said:

The primary purpose for 8K cameras is to sell 8K TVs, so there's no way they're going to let overheating of 8K MILC cameras get in the way of selling 200 million TVs each year!

Why would Canon/Nikon/Fuji goal be to push 8K TVs? They aren't Samsung, Sony or LG.

I doubt anyone buying an 8K camera is even planning to view it on an 8K display.

For 95% mainstream consumers 8K is just a distant buzzword. 

But camera/phone manufacturers have to justify new model purchases and increased pricing by adding specs so 8K is the obvious thing to add despite overheating.