Canon R6 Mark II Announced

FHDcrew

2 hours ago, herein2020 said:

The R5C has to reboot to go from photo mode to video mode, the whole process takes about 8-10s. It doesn't sound like a big deal, and I didn't think it was when I read about it, but now that I am shooting with the R7 for both photo and video at events its a bigger deal than I thought. Its hard enough getting people to stand still or redo a pose long enough to get their pics taken, let alone waiting for a camera to reboot to start filming video or vice versa. 

I think Canon could really have to fix the R5C's usability, atm it's borderline usable but could be much better, like there is no reason not to shoot videos on still mode, or using dpaf Ii on cine mode as it is the same sensor! And only 40min on standby..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Did a shoot with my friend today.. yeah the R5C is perm fixed to the tripod lol.

Originally he was thinking of using R5C for mobile and C70 on tripod, but the usability of C70 is just make it much better overall.  I had the same feeling too.

I guess spec on paper is one thing and overall user experience is another, if you use camera everyday then usability wins hands down as you will want to use the camera that in sync with you than try to fight you each time.

Screenshot_20221210-222227_Gallery.jpg

20221210_171134.jpg

I am in the market to probably end to buy one... I cannot help myself and trust me, I've tried my very best! LOL

My vote goes for Rig #2 MINIMAL WEDDING RIG !

You see? R5C is NOT actually married with the tripod, just up to us know how to date her... ;- )

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

I am in the market to probably end to buy one... I cannot help myself and trust me, I've tried my very best! LOL

My vote goes for Rig #2 MINIMAL WEDDING RIG !

You see? R5C is NOT actually married with the tripod, just up to us know how to date her... ;- )

Well I very welcome of you to go ahead and get one, and tell us your experience of using it.  Maybe your experience is much more positive and warmer than me lol.

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Well the weakest part of the R5C is the fan, any particles can come through the vent, so the fan can be stuck with sand particles which can make it go screaming or grinding noise

I used in mine on snow, rain and Africa outside on a jeep in a very sandy  environment never had any issue.

The battery I fully agree is pita. 

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Well I very welcome of you to go ahead and get one, and tell us your experience of using it.  Maybe ur experience is much more positive and warmer than me.

I feel myself tempted, I am... but I am all ears what makes you colder with, because perhaps we have distinct uses for. Is it bulky? With external power, but don't you agree there are different options with variable results accordingly?

I love the minimal RX30 form factor as for instance but when compare both outcome on high ISOs and fast frame rates, I stop myself and am not able to help anymore.

People also complain of lack of IBIS, I tend to see it as a bless when powered by OIS and yet extra coupled to EIS/DIS instead.

Anyway, please tell us more about your issues, no criticism is unwelcome! : )

On the contrary, anything which actually stop my irresistible proof Netflix certification means too little, really helps... -- no pun intended at all :- )

Something funny is the fact I only see a triple advantage for R5C coming from P4K...

Higher resolution for extracting stills towards large format printing on wider hybrid route and media convergence, as well faster frame rates and competent AF to end the triad.

Other than that, RX30 size seems perfect sized instead, while R5C can form another brick as big as P4K...

https://camerasize.com/compare/#782,886

image.thumb.png.d78b13444ef0aa28ae94da502e1139ad.png

...imagine it with the external power (minimal wedding ) rig... : D

On 12/10/2022 at 10:42 AM, ntblowz said:

I think Canon could really have to fix the R5C's usability, atm it's borderline usable but could be much better, like there is no reason not to shoot videos on still mode, or using dpaf Ii on cine mode as it is the same sensor! And only 40min on standby..

The two quick fixes that they should do is offering a battery grip that allows 8k 50/60 basically solving the battery issue and re-enable video in photo mode (why not give user the choice? They could even have a custom function that you can enable and disable video mode in photo).

If you don't use 8k50/60 the battery grip makes it more useable, I use mine a lot in 8k 50 RAW so I have the V-Mount battery with USB-PD mounted over the cage. Not great but the only other camera than can do 8k RAW 50/60 is the Nikon Z9 or REDs... 

But we are really off topic this should belong on the R5c thread and not the R6 II one.

On 12/10/2022 at 7:43 AM, Emanuel said:

Something funny is the fact I only see a triple advantage for R5C coming from P4K...

Higher resolution for extracting stills towards large format printing on wider hybrid route and media convergence, as well faster frame rates and competent AF to end the triad.

Other than that, RX30 size seems perfect sized instead, while R5C can form another brick as big as P4K...

https://camerasize.com/compare/#782,886

image.thumb.png.d78b13444ef0aa28ae94da502e1139ad.png

...imagine it with the external power (minimal wedding ) rig... : D

Haha, it really sounds like you've already made up your mind for the R5C, none of us talking about what we don't like about it will change your mind 😀. I ended up feeling that way about the C70 and R7 and ended up with both of them....and they are both perfect for what I need so I think only you can answer if the R5C is a good fit for you.

37 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

Haha, it really sounds like you've already made up your mind for the R5C, none of us talking about what we don't like about it will change your mind 😀. I ended up feeling that way about the C70 and R7 and ended up with both of them....and they are both perfect for what I need so I think only you can answer if the R5C is a good fit for you.

LOL I assume I can't resist to that 8K60p in such small form factor but I'm still all ears! :- )

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

LOL I assume I can't resist to that 8K60p in such small form factor but I'm still all ears! :- )

I shot 8K30FPS once with the R5 for a few seconds, just to see if my editing workstation could edit the files. Since they were raw files it was actually easier to edit than any of the compressed formats. Haven't shot at that resolution since. 4K60FPS is plenty for me.

On 12/9/2022 at 7:06 PM, ntblowz said:

Who would have thought R7 actually have more DR than R6 II on video mode?

The R5 is definitely the best investment I've done so far, 4K50P runs all day without overheating after the last update, and the few cam that does hdmi + internal recording + internal monitor display on.

That is pretty surprising, I think the difference is so minor though that only a side-by-side comparison would reveal it like the one done in this video. 

I do wonder though if the R6II has dual native ISO. I understand that at the R7's price point it is unrealistic to expect it, but I would think the R6II would have it.

• 3 weeks later...

So has anyone got their hands on the R6 mk2? If so is the overheating definitely fixed on 4k 25p am hearing differing reports ?

One thing that was really annoying on the original R6 that I can't find an answer for the R6 mk2 is - can you use an external monitor while still using the internal screen and touch focus? I am hoping that especially with the touted external RAW recording that they have not gone cripple hammer here again on the R6 mk2

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2023 at 6:28 PM, ade towell said:

So has anyone got their hands on the R6 mk2? If so is the overheating definitely fixed on 4k 25p am hearing differing reports ?

One thing that was really annoying on the original R6 that I can't find an answer for the R6 mk2 is - can you use an external monitor while still using the internal screen and touch focus? ...

1. Can‘t comment on the overheating at this time.

2. The internal screen and touch function is disabled when I plug an HDMI monitor.