Canon R6 Mark II Announced

FHDcrew

I have an R3 and although it has a very high quality internal RAW format, I would love if Canon gives it the ability to do ProRes RAW.  Especially now since this R6 II can do 6K ProRes RAW.  The R3 also does 6K.  As an FCPX user, I plead with you Canon .. pleeeease, it just makes sense now.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
46 minutes ago, genXtechguy said:

I have an R3 and although it has a very high quality internal RAW format, I would love if Canon gives it the ability to do ProRes RAW.  Especially now since this R6 II can do 6K ProRes RAW.  The R3 also does 6K.  As an FCPX user, I plead with you Canon .. pleeeease, it just makes sense now.

Move to Resolve no need for external recorder if you have internal raw. FCPX not sure how long it will exist not a priority for Apple imo....

27 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

$2500 for micro HDMI. 

RAW recording but we are gimped with Micro hdmi. I think I would rather go with the FX30 if I was to shoot RAW or use a monitor. 

It is Not that camera!

For me it is 100% right for photos, a little less for video..

FX30 is a video camera..

I wonder if the rumored R7C would be a much better option for video.

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Can't they just keep the histogram on screen? Jesus..

Lol! For entirely irrational, emotional and nostalgic  reasons I often consider moving back to Canon for video. But it's stuff like this that acts as a reality check on my daydreams.

At the moment I'm loving the spotmeter on the GH6. I look for something white, set exposure to +2.3 stops with the spotmeter and am done. OK, my footage might be out of focus but at least it's well exposed 😂

It seems their "hybrid" releases are more focused in photography, or else buy a more video centric camera ("we sell some of those") like the C70 or the R5C, and whatever is coming in the lower end (R7C probably?! C50? whatever..).

CVP pre-order has a price of €3,202.58 inc VAT at the moment! that is very expensive for the middle segment, and that should get closer to 2.600 soon, or they will loose a ton of customers going Sony/Fuji, even GH6 (for video orientated ones) and I do not see a lot of R6 users upgrade soon!

4.600 with the 24-105 f4

3.600 with the 25-105 f4-7.1

R6 with the 24-105 f4 is 3.145euros (not in stock though, but can be ordered)

X-T5 is 1960euros..

2 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

$2500 for micro HDMI. 

RAW recording but we are gimped with Micro hdmi. I think I would rather go with the FX30 if I was to shoot RAW or use a monitor. 

FX30 is not pure raw as it does some processing to output 4.7k Raw from 6k sensor.

30 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

It seems their "hybrid" releases are more focused in photography, or else buy a more video centric camera ("we sell some of those") like the C70 or the R5C, and whatever is coming in the lower end (R7C probably?! C50? whatever..).

CVP pre-order has a price of €3,202.58 inc VAT at the moment! that is very expensive for the middle segment, and that should get closer to 2.600 soon, or they will loose a ton of customers going Sony/Fuji, even GH6 (for video orientated ones) and I do not see a lot of R6 users upgrade soon!

4.600 with the 24-105 f4

3.600 with the 25-105 f4-7.1

R6 with the 24-105 f4 is 3.145euros (not in stock though, but can be ordered)

X-T5 is 1960euros..

CVP is UK based, not EU. Its also notoriously overpriced on new cameras. why on earth would you shop there? the official EU price is around 2700-2800 depending on your countries VAT. That is slightly above R6 original retail. Not a huge increase considering all the benefits imo. Still bit more expensive than in the US where the price is $2499, same exact as R6. 

As for the camera being "more focused in photography" it isn't more so than its direct competitor: A7IV.

@DjangoI was searching for prices in EU. We used to shop from there, they have an EU warehouse. It is not priced in Greece yet, so I checked to see what's what. I would buy locally anyway, for tax initiatives and the such, but I was surprised of the such high prices, even for CVP.

Yes, Sony has a similar approach, the S is the video centric one and the R the specialized high megapixel one. 

I am just expressing personal opinions here, what would make it a perfect fit for my needs (and being a keeper for 4-5 years)?

28megapixels, full HDMI, punch-in while filming to check focus, histogram always on display. From reviews online seems like IBIS and AF tracking needs some refinement also. I am not 100% sure about the decision of having SD cards only - still haven't properly process that on my mind!

I know, anyone can ask for anything, and it is a vicious circle on camera sites and forums! But R6 released some 26-28 months ago.. that wasn't a great investment for some. 

This release is more an R6 AND a half to me, which still is good enough. The original R6 was something like an R6 minus half, if that makes any sense at all!

6 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Rumored cameras are terrible at video. And photo.

😜

You've got it backwards....   rumoured cameras are absolutely killer, it's the ones that get announced and released that are disappointing in almost every aspect!

Just read any "what camera should I buy" thread - there's always "wait for the X to be released" recommendations 🙂 

On 11/2/2022 at 1:10 AM, newfoundmass said:

One thing Canon does that irks me is how they remove important information once you hit record. What logical reason could there be for this? Surely it's not putting much strain on the processor to keep up the histogram while recording, right?! 

This is without a doubt my #1 annoyance these days across the Canon line. The R5, R6, R6II, and R7 all remove the histogram and electronic level when recording, I think literally no other camera maker does that at least none I have shot with. 

They also finally added aspect ratio guides and one of them is that magical social media 4:5 guide....the R5, R7, and C70 don't even have this.  The S5 had this in 2020.

I do find it strange they added false color but not the WFM, I use the WFM way more than I use false color in the C70. To me false color is best when you have control over the lighting, the WFM is better when you have no control and just need the scene to fit within the DR of the sensor so I would much prefer the WFM over false color. It is still promising though that they are starting to add more video tools to their hybrids. We might even get shutter angle in the R6IV.

Also, is it just me or does it feel like a lot of these features could have been added via FW to the R5, R6, and R7? (False Color, Aspect Ratio Guides, overheating removed). I also think its odd they forced external raw via that terrible micro HDMI slot instead of bringing the C70's Canon Cinema Raw Light @ 30FPS to the R6....maybe overheating concerns, or maybe that's the cripple hammer.

None of this is meant to take away from the R6II, I keep asking myself if I would have gotten the R6II instead of the R7 for a bcam/gimbal cam for the C70 and I don't know yet.  The R6II is a pretty decent upgrade across the board, but I do truly enjoy the R7.  Of course the R7's crop sensor and line skipped 4K60FPS is a pain to deal with and is the two things I think really puts the R6II ahead of the R7. 

One thing I noticed in the R6II's review video from DPReview is that terrible IBIS wobble, the R7 does not have that at all (probably because it is a smaller sensor), and I would still trust the R7 in the overheating department vs the R6II at least until there's a lot more data available.

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I know, anyone can ask for anything, and it is a vicious circle on camera sites and forums! But R6 released some 26-28 months ago.. that wasn't a great investment for some. 

This release is more an R6 AND a half to me, which still is good enough. The original R6 was something like an R6 minus half, if that makes any sense at all!

I don't see it that way at all. I purchased R6 on release two years ago and it paid for itself almost immediately so a fantastic investment for me personally.

It also remains the only camera in its category that can shoot 4K60p without a crop. Z6II, A7IV & S1 all have an APS-C crop when shooting 4K60p. And at the time of its release, Sony only had the A7III that couldn't even do 10bit. 

So the R6 was for me already way ahead of its competition and hit above its category. It did have one major caveat: overheating. I learned how to work around it but it was still a serious risk factor just like the A7IV currently is. Fixing that was urgent (R6 is their best seller) hence why a MK2 came after only 2 years. I don't think it was fixable in firmware like with R5 due to its hardware build. Again the original R6 is such a good camera that it doesn't really need that many enhancements. Yet Canon added a bunch of low-key refinements.

In the CVP review, the guy opens with "Honestly the R6ii may be my favourite mirrorless camera I've ever used". That's a pretty strong statement and endorsement coming from a reviewer that has access to every single camera under the sun.

Is the camera perfect? No. But none really are in this category. Histogram disappearing when recording yeah bummer. Then again a histogram always on isn't that great on a 2.9" display. Use an external monitor for permanent exposure/assist tools. It is great they added false colour. Yeah WFM would have been better but neither Nikon or Sony offer it even on their flagships. R5C does but all those advanced cine assist functions seem to drain the battery.

In the end, you can always look at the glass either half empty or half full. For me at its price point & category, the R6II is the best all-rounder FF mirrorless on the market. I suspect an R5II will be next with even more refinements.

4 hours ago, herein2020 said:

They also finally added aspect ratio guides and one of them is that magical social media 4:5 guide....the R5, R7, and C70 don't even have this.  The S5 had this in 2020.

These little things really make me wonder what Canon are doing.  I mean, if one Canon development team-lead spent one day at CES writing down all the things that people suggested then things like this would be added to every camera without any real challenges at all - if they already have a function that puts frame guides on the screen and a menu to choose between different ones, then adding more should be only a day or two worth of work for an engineer.

4 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I do find it strange they added false color but not the WFM, I use the WFM way more than I use false color in the C70.

This seems relatively plausible.  A WFM requires that the image (or a low-res version of it) be processed and a graph generated from that analysis.  My guess is that they might not have a spare chip available to generate the WFM, or (if they can do it in preview mode but not during recording) it might be being generated by a chip that is only busy during recording (eg, for NR or compression etc).

False-colour, on the other hand, could simply just be a display LUT, which requires no additional processing requirements as the functionality to apply a display LUT and a recording LUT are already present.

I have access to an R6 at work and have to say it's the most frustrating camera I've ever used - the image is lovely but the overheating, and 30 minute limit stop me from using it most of the time.  The micro hdmi is an accident waiting to happen although I tend not to use it anyway as Canon has slyly stopped the use of the touchscreen if you attach a monitor. They want you to buy the R5 for this simple 'feature' that works on most other cheaper cameras I've used. No idea if the R6ii remedies this but it's Canon so am sure there'll be something missing

My main irritation with Canon in all this is that I am pretty sure the 2 main beefs I have with the R6 could be sorted with firmware. They magically fixed the overheating with the R5 but have neglected the lowly R6 wanting folk to spend their hard earned money on the R5 and now the new R6ii. I have a feeling that when they've sold enough R6ii's they will allow the R6 to work without overheating just like they've done with the R5 a while after releasing the R5c. Not sure I want to play that game 

8 minutes ago, ade towell said:

I have access to an R6 at work and have to say it's the most frustrating camera I've ever used - the image is lovely but the overheating, and 30 minute limit stop me from using it most of the time.  The micro hdmi is an accident waiting to happen although I tend not to use it anyway as Canon has slyly stopped the use of the touchscreen if you attach a monitor. They want you to buy the R5 for this simple 'feature' that works on most other cheaper cameras I've used. No idea if the R6ii remedies this but it's Canon so am sure there'll be something missing

My main irritation with Canon in all this is that I am pretty sure the 2 main beefs I have with the R6 could be sorted with firmware. They magically fixed the overheating with the R5 but have neglected the lowly R6 wanting folk to spend their hard earned money on the R5 and now the new R6ii. I have a feeling that when they've sold enough R6ii's they will allow the R6 to work without overheating just like they've done with the R5 a while after releasing the R5c. Not sure I want to play that game 

I honestly don't think that is the case. We won't know until a full teardown but its quite possible they've sorted heat management internally. R6 isn't at all the same build as R5 that is larger and full magnesium so heat management just isn't handled the same. I think they figured out how to eliminate overheat on a hardware level and hence rushed this mark2 out (Canon cycle is usually 4 years instead of 2). Let's not forget A7IV overheats as well and it doesn't even do 4K60p no crop. 

I also think Canon were pretty reasonable in not boosting the price for the Asian/American market. For some reason we always get screwed here in the EU so yea there is a 300€ increase, sucks but I will gladly pay that for peace of mind when it comes to overheat plus all the other bells & whistles (still/video switch with individual settings including the 3 custom modes is the second biggest pro after heat management for me).

21 minutes ago, Django said:

there is a 300€ increase, sucks but I will gladly pay that for peace of mind when it comes to overheat plus all the other bells & whistles

Looking at the specs the R6 is actually slightly bigger than the R5 but anyway we are just speculating here... maybe I'm just too cynical but after what happened with the miraculous firmware fix of the R5, call me dubious. You seem to be very happy to give Canon the benefit of the doubt and more of your hard earned and that's fair enough.

2 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Looking at the specs the R6 is actually slightly bigger than the R5 but anyway we are just speculating here... maybe I'm just too cynical but after what happened with the miraculous firmware fix of the R5, call me dubious. You seem to be very happy to give Canon the benefit of the doubt and more of your hard earned and that's fair enough.

It wasn't a miraculous firmware fix - it was deliberately crippling their product and getting called out for it and then them fixing it without apologising.  

I wouldn't call you dubious, I'd call you a realist.  

Now, I'd happily buy a Canon camera if my needs aligned with one and the price was reasonable, but before I parted with any money I'd have to do a borderline forensic analysis to make sure that the camera did everything I needed it to do, because history has shown that what you assume will be provided may not be.

8 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Well yeah I'm happy they fixed the overheating and added some neat things like false colour (wasn't expecting that one at all) and the aforementioned stills/video switch, focus compensation etc. New sensor with a half-stop better DR and much lower RS. Similar if not identical price point depending on your location. What's they're not to be happy about? So yeah I'll give them my "hard earned" although not that hard since I've made good money with Canon through these years and the cameras have paid for themselves tenfold. Always worked around shortcomings of which honestly at this point I see very few within this category.

I do feel like Canon can't win on these boards. If they don't fix stuff like overheat they get slammed, they fix it and add things, people complain they weren't added in previous models. I guess Sony users have similar complaints (i.e the Philip Bloom FX30 review/rant video).

Hey that's great and all power to you, I'm just pointing out that after what happened with the R5 it isn't too much of a stretch to think that maybe just maybe they could also fix the R6 overheating with firmware if they really wanted to - and then the tight arses I work for wouldn't need to buy a new camera (they won't anyway...)