A real world Sony A7S rolling shutter test vs the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

Ed_David

Thought the Pocket looks good here, I've shot with it and it definitely has rolling shutter issues of it's own. The Digital Bolex has one of the best looking images I've seen without that issue but it has other major issues to contend with. As FilmBrute points out, you need a camera that doesn't have low light problems.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've read the article three times now and can't find any mention of frame rates for the a7s. What frame rate was used on the a7s??????!!!!!!!

Was the 60p setting used at all and was there any improvement in rolling shutter.
Basic info guys!

My theory:

The obvious virtues of any camera - in this case low light - become the obvious weaknesses in the hands of someone who tries to exploit them in order to show off. He doesn't realize how ugly his clips are.

So the better approach is to take the virtues for granted and concentrate on overcoming the weaknesses (or overcoming the tempation to show off the virtues).

Shane Hurlbut once commented on rolling shutter issues with DSLRs. He said they became annoying when rolling the camera or panning too fast. People believe 50p/60p even out jerky camera movements or juddery pans, and that's true to some extend, but that doesn't make their camera movements or pans any better. Some cameras may tend to produce more RS jelly than others, but with the right stabilization and pace this ceases to be an issue at all. I think he is right.

We are seeing better Pocket clips now, because meanwhile people figured out how to overcome it's limitations, whereas before they proudly presented awkwardly graded shots that never reached, let alone surpassed, well shot DSLR clips. 

The sensation of bending subway tunnel walls though: Are you really sure that can be fixed in post?

EDIT: On the other hand: Looks cinematic, in a way. Could be seen as an *effect* illustrating the correlation between speed and gravity ('inertia of masses'), like in comics:

democar82.gif

Double Eagle & Co comic strip

Does it look like 60p!?

I'm baffled by your ridiculous statement/ question, Andrew. Obviously you were trying to be a smart arse, you succeeded. You also succeeded at looking like a fool.
No it doesn't look like 60p but what's that got to do with anything?
Acquisition for some shots could have been 60p and conformed to a 30p timeline in the edit. You do know that you can do that don't you?
It's pretty common technique and help reduce rolling shutter in most cameras. Personally If I was testing the a7s and was disappointed by the rolling shutter at 24 or 30p I'd logically also test the 60p setting.
FFS!!!

LOL  :D

I guess it's hard for people to not argue on any forum. I was on an NFL forum and guys were threatening to kill each other over a game last year…now, people are going tilt and 'falling down' over camera gear…It is entertaining...if not disturbing what modern tech to communicate has come to…between strangers no less.

• Administrators

Rather than lock the thread I've removed the conversation that is of zero use to anyone, and there's a lot of it in this one.

I take a huge chunk out of my day, every day, to answer questions about cameras.

When some jerk asks rudely like Tone13 did

With his "??????!!!!!!!"

And his declaration of "Basic info guys!"

​You can't seriously expect anyone in their right mind to give them a polite reply. â€‹It is infuriatingly rude.

Tone13 has been banned because it only takes 1 idiot to bring further threads into disrepute and drag them off topic like he has done here.

I run a free forum, the minimum payment is a basic respect for EOSHD if you choose to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the comment on changing your shooting style is an important one and the second being able to crop in if you need to resolve any rolling shutter issues.  When we shot with the F3 we cropped in and the image was fantastic even at say 15% crop and that was the S35 sensor now with FF it should be a bit better.  Back to the shooting syles.  I woul dhave to lock down each shot set up.  Saying that with what we do we do that as a matter of practice. So whether a slider, dolly, Jib or handheld everything is deliberate and smooth.  If you are going to shoot an obnoxious really tv style jerking side to side swiping  all over the place, then stay away from this camera it is not for you.  I consider this a more cinematic camera than a run and gun or doc camera.  Personally I doubt once we receive ours that we will have any noticeable RS at all.  I also love the fact we can shoot 2k intrnally for our training division.  Can't even think about shooting 4k for that.  Anyway great article Thanks