A real world Sony A7S rolling shutter test vs the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The A7S rolling shutter seems OK as long as you don't wave the camera around, or shoot subway trains. It would of course depend on your requirements. For me the cost is a bit too much for the envisioned usage, especially if I'd want 4K.

Great footage. I love how you have thrown in a bunch of shaky shots and made such a great edit out of it. It really works, great style.

Also surprised how good the Pocket is regarding to rolling shutter. Doesn't bother me at all.

Maybe I missed it but was that video showing the rolling shutter shot at 60p, 30p or 24p? If 30 or 24p, does shooting at 60p greatly reduce the rolling shutter like it does in other cameras?

Im happy to shoot 60p (well, 50p in my country) and conform down to 25p in post.

Thanks

Test is not as bad as you say. At least you shot movement and people. I can't stand the tests that shoot historic buildings and rivers on sliders with no faces. The flesh tones were the most revealing. Thanks for shooting in a neighborhood I know all too well. The night shots were nice. I'd love to see how the night holds up at 800-1600 ASA. I'm a Brooklyn DP, give me a shout next time you want to take the camera through its paces. I have charts, lights, people, etc.

Well, this is definitely a way of warning people that they should really avoid rolling shutter situations with the A7s. It's a very challenging situation, no IS, handheld, etc. but there are times that it looks pretty awful and this is 1080p, and one could expect to get even wobbler at 4K. But the fact that the A7s is a low light monster remains, now it's just a matter of whoever uses it, to know its strengths and flaws and adapt their shooting style to get the most of it.

I'm looking forward to comparisons between GH4's 10-bit 422 and A7s' 8-bit 422 and it wouldn't make sense just a normal boring comparison, I hope someone pushes the color grading to see how much each footage can handle without falling apart, showing color banding, etc.

The Panasonic FZ1000 seems more to pay to its FZ Super Zoom heritage than actually being aimed at video like the RX10, but the LX8 is rumored to have a different sensor - possibly a lower count MP more 4K-friendly 1" sensor? - ND filter and possibly weather sealing. It could also have the same 1080p codec as the GH3's 50mbps IPB to match the RX100 MKIII' XAVC-S 50mbps.

Anyway, I'm happy to see both Sony and Panasonic pushing video feats like that.

Not nearly as bad as that silly vid from NAB or whenever a few months ago. I'll take rolling shutter over inferior dynamic/low light ANY day of the week. You see the results of dynamic range/ low light performance in every shot. If there is some rolling shutter here and there (which can be fixed), big deal. There is a lot that can be done to fix rolling shutter. And minor rolling shutter does not infringe on most people's style of shooting.

Though, if you hate spending time in after effects, I can understand one's disdain for rolling shutter!

This has to be about the most important and interesting pieces of information I have seen posted for ages. The GH4 in 1080p as less rolling shutter than the C300, amazing. Thought to Panasonic though, you need to get the HDMI output in 10bit sorted or the A7S is what people will be pulling off the shelves.

Maybe this is stupid, but I have to ask. When in APS-C mode, the pixel readout is comparable to 2.7K, and then upscaled to 4K, or downscaled to 1080 depending on which mode you record right? So if you're looking for the least amount of rolling shutter, but still want the fullframe look, would it be possible to put a speed booster on this camera, run it in aps-c, and get an equivalent almost full frame look, only in 2.7K instead of 4K as read out?