GH2 Interview Help

MrJamesAckerley

Hey guys :)

I have got the GH2 with the 14mm pancake attached and I need some settings/help about how to get the best possible quality when shooting interviews. I have done some playing around myself but the footage doesn't look as good as I have seen others do on youtube etc. I cannot afford to buy any new gear so I need to make do with this lens and home-made lighting if needs be. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

Also, Happy New Year!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
Hey James, this is all in the lens. The 14mm is too wide for interviews.

A wide angle like 14mm distorts depth and you have to get closer to the subject otherwise they'll be pretty small in the frame and surrounded by the room. Getting closer makes the depth distortion more noticeable, it isn't an attractive look.

You need a 35mm or 50mm lens with an aperture of F1.4 or F2. I recommend the Canon FD mount 35mm F2 SSC or Samyang 35mm F1.4. The Olympus 45mm F1.8 for Micro Four Thirds is a fine option if you need AF.

Cheers