"Solidarity" short film (Canon 550D)

silverstate

Hey guys, I'm a newbie but I promise this won't be my first and only post. I am an avid member of indietalk and figured I'd join the forum here to experience this side of the DSLR forum world. I shot this entirely on a 550D with a Tamron 10-22mm f/3.5 lens and a 40mm f/2.8 lens. This is my first production (written, directed, shot and edited), so I'd love some feedback about the image quality and story (and anything else that might be relevant).

So without further adieu, here is: Solidarity

vimeo.com/95930200

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey guys, I'm a newbie but I promise this won't be my first and only post. I am an avid member of indietalk and figured I'd join the forum here to experience this side of the DSLR forum world. I shot this entirely on a 550D with a Tamron 10-22mm f/3.5 lens and a 40mm f/2.8 lens. This is my first production (written, directed, shot and edited), so I'd love some feedback about the image quality and story (and anything else that might be relevant).

So without further adieu, here is: Solidarity

http:vimeo.com/95930200

Great stuff. If you hadn't have told me this was a 550D, I'd never have guessed. It's shot beautifully, although I have to say this is more like a music video than any sort of short. That said, the music is excellent and the story you've written and the way you have edited it work really well together. I love the short surges you've edited in time with the music.

Story wise, I saw what was coming as soon as the wine entered the scene. Another point to this being a great music video is that there isn't a lot of story here, but there's probably just the right amount for a music video. I liked the 2 men alive scenario as a finale, although the shot of the man's face as he's being strangled could be omitted in my opinion. It looks too much like'acting' and it breaks the tone a little.

Really nice work though, kudos to the design of the titles as well.

Great stuff. If you hadn't have told me this was a 550D, I'd never have guessed. It's shot beautifully, although I have to say this is more like a music video than any sort of short. That said, the music is excellent and the story you've written and the way you have edited it work really well together. I love the short surges you've edited in time with the music.
Story wise, I saw what was coming as soon as the wine entered the scene. Another point to this being a great music video is that there isn't a lot of story here, but there's probably just the right amount for a music video. I liked the 2 men alive scenario as a finale, although the shot of the man's face as he's being strangled could be omitted in my opinion. It looks too much like'acting' and it breaks the tone a little.
Really nice work though, kudos to the design of the titles as well.

First of all, nice work. I agree with Gregormanschaft, the overall feel is one of a music video, and nothing wrong with that. If you were after more of a narrative then we needed a bit more time to get into the idea, the characters and the mood. Having said that you still manage to create a tense atmosphere. And I'm keen to know more about the situation, so that's cool.

I like it, and imo it's another proof that 'it's not the camera'.

Be honest, from ten vimeo clips you skip nine after the first ten seconds. That I watched it to the end makes it a winner for me..

Storywise?

Yes, I guessed right what was coming, but I do so with nine of ten feature length Hollywood movies. I like them nonetheless, if I like them, because they are a joy to watch.

I thought the surface of the table looked too profane, a matt finish would have been better.