When will we see cheap 600W/1200W led lights?

zerocool22

ZSYB light.

I'm assuming the 3 diodes near the caps on the bottom are to control the current to the LED. Not sure what the caps do, smoothing? That is the output to the COB, the black and brown wires on the bottom.

The transformer is the yellow block in the middle, I guess it changes the AC to DC at the same voltage?

20221112_143108.jpg

20221112_143112.jpg

20221112_143116.jpg

20221112_143124.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RC450D looks like it only consumes 400W so... only 400W output.

I can't find any more info on this new to me light but it's apparently 600W, NiceFoto LV-6000B.

Could be a contender if it ever becomes widely available...

https://en.nicefoto.cn/Products/LED_Video/LED_COB_Light/2022524.html

Fotogenic in AUS has it listed for $940USD though... not sure what the actual AE price will be, but I think still a bit too high considering the 3000B seems to be around $300USD. Their YT video says $699 USD...

The removeable back panel that turns into a controller is pretty cool though!

4 hours ago, scotchtape said:

RC450D looks like it only consumes 400W so... only 400W output.

I can't find any more info on this new to me light but it's apparently 600W, NiceFoto LV-6000B.

Could be a contender if it ever becomes widely available...

https://en.nicefoto.cn/Products/LED_Video/LED_COB_Light/2022524.html

Fotogenic in AUS has it listed for $940USD though... not sure what the actual AE price will be, but I think still a bit too high considering the 3000B seems to be around $300USD. Their YT video says $699 USD...

The removeable back panel that turns into a controller is pretty cool though!

Apparantly not, due to the new design. 

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 10/31/2022 at 3:37 AM, scotchtape said:

For the ZSYB light I only tested at undervolt settings and the readings are good, haven't bothered to do a full test at 300W.

I bought the Yinleader 1000W transformer, it's like $60USD on Amazon.  I just plugged it into a wattmeter initially because the output was halved compared to the FS300, I checked with the transformer and it's drawing 300W so all good there.  @j_one I'll update when the other light comes in the mail, might be complete trash.

It's this one (can't even search by name, there is no name in the listings and I couldn't find any others lol):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003436322681.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.18031802IdPYPY

The photo says QinYue AR-LX0101, tried to search for reviews etc but found nothing except listings in Thailand. It's $120USD on AE. 

The handle mount looks like crap and the remote has no display, but if the light is good it should work in an array for sun fighting power, plus it looks very compact.  Sound might be an issue though since the front looks like the old design where there is airflow through the front (yuck).  At $120USD it's 1/3 the price of Nanlite FS300 which already was the cheapest "good" 300W LED at launch of $350, now $380USD. 

The ZYSB at half price would have been amazing if not for the power issue, I don't know enough about PCB circuits to determine what to replace on the board, if anything.  If anyone is interested in helping that would be appreciated because it would be a killer deal on a light for the price... Quiet, powerful, lightweight, remote, cheap (and cheap build quality) but good quality metrics.

I did test the voltage of the DC leads to the COB and they measured at mains voltage, so I'm not sure what the coil transformer on the PCB does.  But that probably saves weight since there's no need for a transformer to change the mains voltage for the LED.

I have a couple of mini-docs to shoot soon and really wanted to have just one light that can fight daylight. I happened to come across the ZSYB 500w COB on eBay for an astonishing GBP206! At that price it's definitely worth a punt. I'll report back once it gets here.

2 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

I have a couple of mini-docs to shoot soon and really wanted to have just one light that can fight daylight. I happened to come across the ZSYB 500w COB on eBay for an astonishing GBP206! At that price it's definitely worth a punt. I'll report back once it gets here.

That's surprisingly cheap! Let us know how it sounds please, am curious if it is very noisy. 

6 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

That's surprisingly cheap! Let us know how it sounds please, am curious if it is very noisy. 

Will do. I'm expecting it not to be that quiet, but I wouldn't expect to be using a light that powerful close to a mic anyway (hopefully).

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 5:56 AM, Tim Sewell said:

Will do. I'm expecting it not to be that quiet, but I wouldn't expect to be using a light that powerful close to a mic anyway (hopefully).

How've the lights held up so far? Just pulled the trigger on ordering two since I can make a $300 mistake, or just return them if needed. 

On 1/24/2024 at 4:25 PM, clcox said:

How've the lights held up so far? Just pulled the trigger on ordering two since I can make a $300 mistake, or just return them if needed. 

Well it took nearly a month to arrive, so I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. On first impressions it's very bright and not to noisy. Metal shell, which is good. Surprisingly light weight. I'll be giving it some more extensive testing in around 10 days time so I'll report back, but I'm already considering getting a second, while they're so cheap! I see that they also do a very affordable light mat.

6 hours ago, QuickHitRecord said:

500w RGB lights for $109 each?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335002908209?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008

But then I read further down the listing and apparently it's only 100w for daylight or tungsten, and 50w with a color.

All built into the same body as their $500w light (and it does say 500w in a few places within this listing)...

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 5.29.42 PM.png

I think there's a whole industry of people deliberately selling things under false listings, taking the money from people that don't notice or know any better and very very quickly refunding anyone who complains.

I've bought a few small items that didn't work or weren't as described and within about 0.1ms of submitting a report they give you a full refund and close the case completely, no returns or anything.

I've seen amazon listings for tech products where there are 500+ reviews, but you go and read the reviews and they're all saying "this shampoo is great" so it's obvious they're manufacturing listings for high-value items by gaining positive ratings on low-value products and then completely changing the listing to something else entirely.

Regardless of what the product is, there's always a brand that is great "but you'll pay for it" and I think that perhaps those brands are selling products for what they're actually worth and the remaining 99% of the market are doing dodgy-brothers stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 3:50 AM, Tim Sewell said:

Well it took nearly a month to arrive, so I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. On first impressions it's very bright and not to noisy. Metal shell, which is good. Surprisingly light weight. I'll be giving it some more extensive testing in around 10 days time so I'll report back, but I'm already considering getting a second, while they're so cheap! I see that they also do a very affordable light mat.

Mine arrived last week! Didn't realize they were 200-240 volt (I'm in the US), so I was running them at essentially half power with some of my own cables. Got a wattmeter to confirm, and yup, they were only pulling half what they should have. Did get a step-up transformer off amazon, though, and wattmeter confirms it's pulling almost the full 500 watts! If I had known that they were that voltage, I might not have got them. For the price, even with adding in a $50 step-up for each unit, they're not too bad! No flickering when I put my phone in slo-mo, which is good. 

Need to get some third-pary reflectors, though, these ones are orphanage grade.

11 hours ago, clcox said:

Need to get some third-pary reflectors, though, these ones are orphanage grade.

Heh yeah. Let me know if you find something suitable. I'm in the UK so the voltage thing isn't a problem. It would be cool if they had a fresnel attachment available, but overall they're a real bargain. Light, for me, skews a tiny bit magenta, but I'm not too bothered by that, especially as COBs tend to lean green as they get older.

8 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

Heh yeah. Let me know if you find something suitable. I'm in the UK so the voltage thing isn't a problem. It would be cool if they had a fresnel attachment available, but overall they're a real bargain. Light, for me, skews a tiny bit magenta, but I'm not too bothered by that, especially as COBs tend to lean green as they get older.

I have a nanlite FL20g, and while it isn't optimized, from what my eye could see, it did a good job. At least in terms of getting it to be spot instead of flood. I should find an affordable light meter and just invest in that, then I could be a little more accurate in my thoughts. Looking at getting two of these Colbor reflectors, I have some of their 100 watt lights and they do a good job. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1736566-REG/colbor_colbor_bhr55_55_degree_hyper_reflector.html

But overall, absolutely for the price these are great. They're bright enough I'm blasting them through a cloth/softbox or bouncing them off something, so I'm gonna get some color shift anyway; and like you said, they'll go a little green as they get older too. But I'd rather have a little more magenta in my skin than green, that's for sure. Mostly because I'm ginger and incredibly pale, so the magenta makes me look a LITTLE closer to normal 😂