GH4 and 14-140 mk2 bad stabilization

Vesku

I don't get why you haven't raised the issue with Panasonic yet. Is your equipment stolen or something??

What can I do. I have read many times that when people have complaint to service they usually get an answer that your device is working normally. I have visited 2 times the store i bought my GH4+lens kit. First time all experts was terrified of that jitter and promised to contact Panasonic. Second time about month later they said that it is probably normal behaviour of these lenses and Panasonic people has not answered to them anything else. I need that lens all the time. I can not leave it for repair. After long time they will return it and say it is working normally. My goal is to get this issue well known and then ask Panasonic to make a FW fix.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You have a number of options to contact them yourself about the issue. http://www.panasonic.com/uk/contact-us.html This is definitely abnormal behaviour and I would demand a fix. It is probably a problem with your particular lens or the body or both. 

Abnormal behaviour of me or of my lens?  Or both :)

I have found now so many people with this same issue that maybe it is time now to contact Panasonic. Thanks for link.

One more unhappy from vimeo:

Paul-Louis Pietz Pröve PLUS

4 hours ago

Eric, thanks for sharing. The good news is that they're working on it, but the results aren't really improving anything up to this point. since you seem to be in contact with Panasonic, can you maybe hit them back with a couple of things? those being:

-OIS works terrible with 14-140mm & 35-100mm lenses, because of jittering

• 2 weeks later...

More people are joining the club:

@minibokeh from http://www.mu-43.com

I'm having HUGE problems with jitter with my 35-100 f/2.8 on my GH4 (click to play):
i-L7VPbwH-L.jpg

Unless we know that Panasonic is going to be able to help/fix the issue, I'm reluctant to send in the lens and have them sit on it and then send it back with "we couldn't find anything wrong".

I'm 100% happy using it for stills, and without OIS video also works without issues.

• 2 weeks later...
I had finally today an opportunity to test another 14-140 mm II in a camera store. It behaved exactly the same as my copy. Noticeable micro vibration at 14mm. The salesman said he have talked with Panasonic import people in Finland and they confirmed that they know the issue and Panasonic is maybe working for FW fix. They said also it is a feature, not a fault. So we cant return our lenses or demand a fix.

At least I know I dont have a faulty lens and on the other hand I know everyone has badly working OIS. I hope that as many as possible could report to service and demand a fix. 

I am still wondering why people are not complaining about this. How cant they see it or if they see it why dont they care?

I made again some heavy testing today with my problem lens Pana 14-140 II. I shooted with a short monopod. I attached a heavy weight to monopods lower end and used it leaning to my body (not ground). Image looked very stable in EVF and I made some very slow and perfect pans and moves. When I came home and watched clips the same jittering was there. The OIS is so sensitive that any minor vibration makes it jitter. A good tripod or post stabilization is the only way to get decent shots

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem on my GH4 and the 14-140 lens. I  have the GH4 for 3 months now but I only did studio work so far.

I know how to shot handheld with long focals, no problem on my Canon DSLR, even with a 70-300 on APS-C sensor, I always manage to get decent results.

This micro jitter IS a panasonic issue and this is just inacceptable for a video DSLR. I have a $500 piece of junk that can't be use for outdoor, run and gun video work.

Hi,

I was going to purchase a GH4 today to be used with video and pick up the 20mm 1.7 and 14-140 II.  Is it better to get the 14-140 I (Mega OS) lens, does it have any issues on the GH4???  I was planning to use this for sports video capturing.  

Its interesting because I watched some videos of the new 14-140 yesterday and didnt really notice the jitters until it was pointed out in this thread as some videos are more sever than others.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a wedding with the 35 - 100mm and was gutted to find micro vibrations coming through from what is a (for M43 system) a very expensive lens. This was on a GH3, so it's not just a GH4 thing.. but it might be a Panasonic thing. Has anyone tried the offending lenses on a Olympus or Black Magic body to see if the footage from those cameras also has the jitter?

I shot a wedding with the 35 - 100mm and was gutted to find micro vibrations coming through from what is a (for M43 system) a very expensive lens. This was on a GH3, so it's not just a GH4 thing.. but it might be a Panasonic thing. Has anyone tried the offending lenses on a Olympus or Black Magic body to see if the footage from those cameras also has the jitter?

There is no reason they shouldn't have the same issue. I have it on my 35-100 with gh3 as well by the way. Vesku just posted some testing regarding mercalli v4, and I tested it a bit myself - it is a way to save stuff  you shot that you need fixed, but paying over $200 for software to correct something Panasonic should have taken care of in the first place kinda sucks. If you use Premiere, you can try warp stabilizer, your mileage may vary.. I did some quick testing but didn't get anything really great out of that. The Mercalli demo seemed to work better.

You mention Olympus, and of course the work around for those are to disable OIS on the lens and just use IBIS.

Hi,

I was going to purchase a GH4 today to be used with video and pick up the 20mm 1.7 and 14-140 II.  Is it better to get the 14-140 I (Mega OS) lens, does it have any issues on the GH4???  I was planning to use this for sports video capturing.  

Its interesting because I watched some videos of the new 14-140 yesterday and didnt really notice the jitters until it was pointed out in this thread as some videos are more sever than others.

Thanks

i don't own either, but based on everything I have read, the v1 does not exhibit the issue that the v2 has in terms of micro jitter.