GH4 and 14-140 mk2 bad stabilization

Vesku

i can relate. i love the 14-140mm II on run and gun shoots and it has been a great performer on my G6. the 6MP resolution is not a negative point in my book. i still think that 95% of the people shoot 4k and master in full hd, so 6MP is plenty. with the GH4 the OIS feels worse, although not as bad as your tiger sample clip. kinda strange, lets hope for an update.

ive never liked the 12-35mm. its not versatile enough for run & gun and not fast enough for commercial shoots. above all its rediculously overpriced, i dont understand why so many videographers fancy this lens. however if the OIS is better with the 12-35mm, it jumps up the latter a little bit.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Again, are you using it at beyond, say, 50mm? At 140mm the stabilizer has to work extra hard.

Also isn't the 14-140mm a Mega OIS lens? 

Please read previous posts.

My 14-140 II has POWER OIS and it jitters at every focal lenghts, every shutters speeds and every framerates and every resolutions! It is the lens that jitters so nothing else matters. I cant believe that not many can figure this matter. Maybe average people are half blind or not caring about quality in practice. Or maybe every videographers uses a tripod.

• 3 weeks later...
My workflow is now with handheld 14-140mm shots: Sony Movie Studio 13 and light stabilization for EVERY clip. That is very time consuming and difficult because that editor lets you stabilize just one clip at time and then I must wait. Then second clip and waiting......etc...

I have shooted handheld GH4 30P 4k files with relatively high shutter speeds (1/100s - 1/160s). With slow camera movements and light stabilization (Sony MS 13) motion and stability is very good when watching with modern TV with motion enhancements. 30P motion is very convincing and lifelike if there are no rapid action or panning.

When I stabilize GH4 60P files shooted with high shutter speeds the results are jello free and smooth because GH4 60P has very low rolling shutter effect and there is no motion blur to ruin flawless motion experience.

Almost all that convincing motion experience is lost when watching with computer monitor because it smooths every little movement to SD level of resolution. So result looks like sharp-soft-sharp-soft depending on camera or subject movement.

Very interesting.  I have a 12-35mm (new) Lumix on my GH4 and I see ZERO stabilization with the IOS switched on...  Do we have a problem here?

Do you mean zero jitter or vibration when OIS is on. Look very carefully handheld shots with OIS. I think that there is little fast jitter with that lens.

Yes I have a big problem with my lens. I cant return it because it is the way it works. I like all the other properties of that lens, great photos, light, IQ in video, fast focusing, etc. I hope that FW update is coming...

I tested 12-35mm in a storer and it vibrated the same way as my 14-140 II.

Hi, I added a video to vimeo to show the issue on the 35-100. I think you will find that the issue is very similar:

Comparing 4 lenses, around 35-45mm, to see how each handle in terms of OIS when used handheld. Shot with GH3 in Ex-tele mode (which zooms in), then Premiere was used to crop into 4 different squares. All were shot at 24fps w/125 shutter speed, 1000 iso, and either f4 or f5.6 aperture. Original clips were stored in 1080p24 at 50mbps. Absolutely no processing of the video was done other than cropping.

As is evident, the 35-100 has a very clear micro jitter issue, while even a cheap 14-42 kit lens does not. 

Lenses in test:
Panasonic Leica 42.5mm f1.2 "Nocticron"
Panasonic 45-150 f4-5.6   (shot at 45mm)
Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 x-series (shot around 40-45mm)
Panasonic 14-45 f3.5-f5.6 (shot at 45mm)

It will possibly be available at 
>
 in 45 minutes or so, but I'm heading to bed now... If it doesn't work, I will update in the morning.

Hi, I added a video to vimeo to show the issue on the 35-100. I think you will find that the issue is very similar:

Thank you for supporting my crusade against Panasonic POWER OIS. We must ask for a FW update. How that can happen? These are very expensive lenses with "HD" video certification. It is not right to accept that kind of bad quality. I am just wondering why people cant see that issue with their lenses. Are they blind or do they think that handheld video can not be stable at all.

By the way I made a review of my GH4/14-140 II kit to my stores web page about a  month ago. Since then no one has bought that kit.

Do you mean zero jitter or vibration when OIS is on. Look very carefully handheld shots with OIS. I think that there is little fast jitter with that lens.

Yes I have a big problem with my lens. I cant return it because it is the way it works. I like all the other properties of that lens, great photos, light, IQ in video, fast focusing, etc. I hope that FW update is coming...

I tested 12-35mm in a storer and it vibrated the same way as my 14-140 II.

When I shoot in manual mode CK4 24p I can not see that the IOS works.  I get the same look (shaking) with the IOS on and off.  However when I shoot in C1 auto FHD 1080 200mps, the IOS is working OK.....  very confusing to say the least!

When I shoot in manual mode CK4 24p I can not see that the IOS works.  I get the same look (shaking) with the IOS on and off.  However when I shoot in C1 auto FHD 1080 200mps, the IOS is working OK.....  very confusing to say the least!

What lens?

Your OIS is very bad if you cannot see any difference on/off. My OIS is smoothing big camera movement but adds jitter. Did you shoot handheld holding camera stationary. Look for very little and fast micro vibration.

Mercalli V3 stabilizes nice multiple clips but there are issues:

1. When stabilizing multiple files Mercalli uses automatically values it wants for every clip. So I cant affect what it is doing. Usually it crops too much for my liking.

2. It renders GH4 0-255 files to 16-235 files so I loose a lot of color information.

3. There is no option to save my own stabilizing profiles for quick use.

One option is learn to like that jittery and vibrating "look". After all many people still prefer 24P stuttering and juddering "look".