New OK Go music video shot on Panasonic GH4

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

well they should have used a camera with global shutter because that video just gave me eye cancer. terribly stabilzed shots, blurred frames, warping effect, video-ish looks...

dont get me wrong i love their videos because they are lots of fun to watch, but the video quality is absolutely nothing to be proud of.

well they should have used a camera with global shutter because that video just gave me eye cancer. terribly stabilzed shots, blurred frames, warping effect, video-ish looks...

dont get me wrong i love their videos because they are lots of fun to watch, but the video quality is absolutely nothing to be proud of.

I couldn't disagree more emphatically. While it doesn't look "filmic," I think the "messiness" of the camera moves plays perfectly with the aesthetic of the video and of the song. I think that you're approaching it as someone who wants to have technical criticisms on a video forum. If you were just watching as a fan, or as an impartial observer who had never heard of a CMOS sensor, I think the first remark you'd have would be the outstanding cinematography.

Video was beautifully shot and, my goodness, wonderfully directed. They really nailed it.

oh come on. virals that look like they were shot on an iphone have been around for the past years, but were almost always shot with a more expensive camera, with a look applied to it. having a video-ish look is a choice by the dop, which i respect for this kind of video but crappy stabilized footage that warps just isnt.

the dodgy stabilization comes from the rolling shutter. the software algorithm tries to hold on to different parts of the image. if some of these parts are "stretched" to a incorrect position because of RS, the algorithm has a hard time adjusting to that. you have all these cameras at hand andrew :) next time youre out with a bmcc and a gh4 take some really shaky footage with both and stabilize them in post. the bmcc will hold up much better.

• Administrators

oh come on. virals that look like they were shot on an iphone have been around for the past years, but were almost always shot with a more expensive camera, with a look applied to it. having a video-ish look is a choice by the dop, which i respect for this kind of video but crappy stabilized footage that warps just isnt.

You don't get it do you. At all.

The video is supposed to have a raw, ramshackle, Manchester band / New Order feel to it. Why do you think they left the cars in the background towards the end and have the crew come out?

Of course they could have made it slicker like every other fucking music video... that is not the point...

The video is supposed to have a raw, ramshackle, Manchester band / New Order feel to it. Why do you think they left the cars in the background towards the end and have the crew come out?

Of course they could have made it slicker like every other fucking music video... that is not the point...

then you didnt understand a word i was saying. at all.

this kind of work is supposed to look like it comes straight out of camera. thats the entire fucking concept of this shooting style. a look that says: we dont know anything about cameras or post production but we had this great idea for a video where we dont need this knowledge anyway.

to achieve this effect, you shoot it clean so you have direct controls of the hickups and shakes in post. thats just how you shoot these kinds of videos if you have the budget. a budget that they clearly had.

but if you shoot it with flaws, like they did, you either take it as it is OR you try to fix a couple of heavy mess ups in post. but if you do the second and the stabilization looks crappy and warped, the entire concept of this shooting style is thrown out of the window. because now it doesnt look straight out of camera anymore but like a messed up video that even post production stabilization couldnt fix. and thats definitely not what they wanted or they could have also shown the cuts throughout the video.

I think unlike other people, we've been conditioned to know what bad stabilization looks like and we can't see it as a cool effect like everyone else on youtube might. It's hard to make that disconnect sometimes, especially when you know what's behind it.     

All that time for rigging and not enough time to balance a MoVI? Yikes.

Movie wouldn't have worked because some of the camera movements required 180 flips. 

OK Go, the band that only exists because of its capacity to make gimmicky viral videos.

If i was a musician, I'd rather be famous for gimmicky videos than gimmicky music.