A7RV announced

newfoundmass

Lots of initial impressions/reviews getting posted. The video seems to be comparable to the A1 for significantly less money, with the major difference being 10 bit is available in all video modes.

• 60MP BSI CMOS sensor
  • Improved AF with subject recognition
  • In-body stabilization rated at up to 8.0EV
  • Continuous shooting at up to 10fps with flash (JPEG or Lossy compressed Raw)
  • 8K/24p or 4K/60p video (both with 1.24x crop)
  • Full-width 4K up to 30p
  • 10-bit 4:2:2 video options, including S-Log3, S-Cinetone and HLG
  • Fully-articulated rear screen on tilt-out cradle
  • Focus bracketing mode (with stacking via computer)
  • Multi-shot pixel shift high res mode with motion compensation (via computer)
  • 2 x 2 MIMO Wi-Fi
  • UVC/UAC USB-standard video for use as webcam

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It ticks most of my boxes and the most any Sony camera has to date.

I could see myself using one of these for hybrid work with a pair of FX30’s.

The only thing is I’d be using the Tamron 35-150 so would need a grip…and that then prompts me to ask whether I’d have it over the Z9 with this lens adapted?

The answer is no so ‘interesting’ but not quite.

Instead, I am still sitting on my single XH2s paired with 2x XH2 intended next 3 years use unless L Mount come up with something tangible within the next 2-3 months max.

Good try though Sony and the stand out elements for me (other than the AF) are:

1: That tilt screen. Yup.

2: 8 stops of IBIS.

3: Lossless compressed raw.

13 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I like what I see with the screen.

But £4000??!

Bridges the gap between the IV and the A1 I suppose?

Not too bothered about the price to be honest. For me it’s whether it can do the job I want it to do.

For instance I have been considering the Z9 and the new Hassie (in different scenario combos) and those are +50% and +100% respectively, but ultimately it’s not the cost that puts me off but other factors.

I’m just not prepared to buy another camera or system unless it’s near zero compromise and though cost is a factor, it’s nowhere near the top of my list. Not that I am made of money either!

Hmm the video image does not seem to be an upgrade. I wished they would focus on colors a bit more, as they seem quite boring. Offcourse they are just test video's, but still. 

Can we expect an A7S IV anytime soon? camera news has been quite dead the last 2 years. Still hoping on a full frame blackmagic camera, in a smaller body (The width of the pockets is a bummer for gymbal work). 

4 hours ago, Django said:

The 'R' series was always a snoozer for me personally and this is no exception.

I think the a7Rmk2 was the one a7R version which could manage to overshadow the likes of a7S series. Because when in 4K S35 mode it did 4K better than the a7Smk2 did? (if my memory serves me correctly, as I do remember a couple of DoP friends choosing the a7Rmk2 over the a7Smk2, because to them excessive exceptional low light performance wasn't the be all and everything of what they wanted. Or maybe it was simply their need to use the typical standard S35 cinema lenses they wanted to regularly rent)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Bridges the gap between the IV and the A1 I suppose?

The A7 IV at £2.5k and A1 at £6K?

In that gap there's the A7S III and the FX3.

Not sure there is much of a market for the A7R IV, as those who can afford it are more likely to go for one of the above cameras or spend a bit extra for the A1 if they need 8K and high res stills?

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Not too bothered about the price to be honest. For me it’s whether it can do the job I want it to do.

For instance I have been considering the Z9 and the new Hassie (in different scenario combos) and those are +50% and +100% respectively, but ultimately it’s not the cost that puts me off but other factors.

What puts you off the Z9?

It seems like there's not much it can't do.

Have you considered EOS R3?

It looks like a pretty decent camera, and the screen is awesome, but it doesn't seem to be a vast improvement over what Sony offers. Doesn't stop the usual suspects from gushing over it, though.

Watching the Gerald Undone video, and it's really a bummer to see how much of a Sony shill he has become. He will bring up negatives, but then downplays them or just outright dismisses them as not important. Meanwhile, he'll temper his compliments of other cameras. The titles of his reviews from the last year or so really sum it up, honestly.

Sony a7R V Review: A Fantastic Camera!
Sony a7 IV Review: The Best Hybrid Camera for the Money!
Sony Alpha 1: A VERY IMPRESSIVE Camera! (Sony a1 Review)
Sony FX30 Review: Good Camera. Great Value!
SONY ZV-E10 Review: Sony's BEST Budget Camera
The SONY a7S III: A Technical MASTERPIECE!
The SONY a7C: Why THIS Camera Is IMPORTANT!

vs.

Canon R3 Review: 10 Things I Love/Hate
Fujifilm X-H2S: A Very Nerdy Review & Technical Guide
Nikon Z6 II - Video Review & Blackmagic RAW Discussion
The PANASONIC S5: A STRANGE but POWERFUL Camera
Sigma fp L Review: A VERY CONFUSING Camera!
Kinefinity MAVO Edge 6K: An Undone Review

I don't even think he does it on purpose (or maybe he does?) But it feels like we're far ways from what made him appealing to me in the first place, which was a measured analysis of a camera's capabilities.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What puts you off the Z9?

It seems like there's not much it can't do.

Have you considered EOS R3?

Size and...err, that's it.

Other than provide espresso on tap (and it's size), agreed, - ticks every box for me. Every.

Yes. I have considered every single possible camera and lens combo available. Z9 kills it in 3 areas for me and the only area the R3 (for me) beats Z9 is weight.

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

The Z9 is the only camera out there right now that I really wish I could afford. I like everything I see from it. That it's constantly out of stock seems like it's a huge success. 

I'm not sure whether it's even been a huge success, rather you just could not buy one new for love nor money this year and used, were commanding a 2k premium!

Chip shortages and all that I think.

I would have committed and never looked back this last August, but after trying for 2 months to buy one, I just gave up.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

I'm not sure whether it's even been a huge success, rather you just could not buy one new for love nor money this year and used, were commanding a 2k premium!

Chip shortages and all that I think.

I would have committed and never looked back this last August, but after trying for 2 months to buy one, I just gave up.

Yeah major supply problem with Z9.

Places like Fnac here in France do get them in, like a couple units each month and they’re gone within the hour. It’s basically a PlayStation 5 situation. Helps if you know someone that knows someone 😉 

If money were no object I’d probably go for R3 over Z9 but I’m just biased towards Canon. On paper Z9 seems like the ultimate FF hybrid.

16 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

It looks like a pretty decent camera, and the screen is awesome, but it doesn't seem to be a vast improvement over what Sony offers. Doesn't stop the usual suspects from gushing over it, though.

Watching the Gerald Undone video, and it's really a bummer to see how much of a Sony shill he has become. He will bring up negatives, but then downplays them or just outright dismisses them as not important. Meanwhile, he'll temper his compliments of other cameras. The titles of his reviews from the last year or so really sum it up, honestly.

Sony a7R V Review: A Fantastic Camera!
Sony a7 IV Review: The Best Hybrid Camera for the Money!
Sony Alpha 1: A VERY IMPRESSIVE Camera! (Sony a1 Review)
Sony FX30 Review: Good Camera. Great Value!
SONY ZV-E10 Review: Sony's BEST Budget Camera
The SONY a7S III: A Technical MASTERPIECE!
The SONY a7C: Why THIS Camera Is IMPORTANT!

vs.

Canon R3 Review: 10 Things I Love/Hate
Fujifilm X-H2S: A Very Nerdy Review & Technical Guide
Nikon Z6 II - Video Review & Blackmagic RAW Discussion
The PANASONIC S5: A STRANGE but POWERFUL Camera
Sigma fp L Review: A VERY CONFUSING Camera!
Kinefinity MAVO Edge 6K: An Undone Review

I don't even think he does it on purpose (or maybe he does?) But it feels like we're far ways from what made him appealing to me in the first place, which was a measured analysis of a camera's capabilities.

The major issue with cameras these days is the cripple hammer / technical limitations they put in them which aren't in the marketing.  Sure, a camera might be 8K, 240p, 10-bit, but the fact that it's not all of them at the same time is the information that isn't mentioned, and which combinations are available are hard to find out.  Gerald is useful because he seems to systematically find many of those gotchas whereas other people don't go that deeply.

In terms of Sony and his opinions, to put it bluntly, who gives a crap?  If you're spending thousands of dollars then you should be making your own decisions rather than simply listening to other peoples conclusions.  Gerald is good because his videos are full of facts about the tech details...  just ignore his opinions and you're fine.

Most other camera reviews are ONLY opinions.  That's where we should be getting annoyed..