Deciding closest modern camera to Digital Bolex look

Andrew Reid

17 hours ago, tupp said:

That's a real funny joke.

However, Cinemartin rapidly achieved working prototypes of a cinema camera.  They preceded the Octopus camera (still in development, but which is discussed with interest in this very thread) by demonstrating the use of a similar (but earlier) Ximea sensor module in a cinema camera.

What camera developments have you achieved?

I also liked Grimors joke. I think he for sure developed a good taste regarding insider camera jokes. If we have camera developers with a sense of humor around, I would love that for both facts, for their development skills and their humor as well. 🙂 

Too bad that out of the 3ccd 2/3 sensor cameras like the Varicams there never materialized a camera in the body of a DVX100 or HPX250, the latter though with great codec, but without ccd magic and 1/6 sensor size.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/30/2022 at 7:26 PM, tupp said:

What camera developments have you achieved?

I was only joking here with the character behind that project, in the same way that he did. I apologize if I have offended you. I have never developed a camera. I don't even dedicate myself full time to filmmaking. Sorry

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nobody is allowed an opinion if they haven't first developed, designed and marketed a cinema camera.

I guess we should all just shut up then

Apart from tupp?

Not sure how one could come to such a notion from my post.

I was responding to the latest episode in a long line of ridicule directed at a few intrepid individuals who took on the challenge of creating an 8K cinema camera -- and who actually achieved working prototypes.

It's one thing to criticize the indomitable, powerful giants such as Canon, Sony, Fuji, Blackmagic, etc., but it seems distasteful to pick on a couple of little guys with scarce resources making bold, impressive strides (regardless of their eccentricities).

10 hours ago, tupp said:

It's one thing to criticize the indomitable, powerful giants such as Canon, Sony, Fuji, Blackmagic, etc., but it seems distasteful to pick on a couple of little guys with scarce resources making bold, impressive strides (regardless of their eccentricities).

In addition to my previous comment, I do recognise the enormous effort it would have taken for Cinemartin to get anywhere close to a working prototype, let alone close to a finished product.  However, that doesn't mean that they are exempt from criticism or having fun made out of them.  

Not being able to take a joke or two for what they are is a character flaw that is quite counter-productive.

Gotta love Austin Powers. Such a groovy attitude and humour. He would not be the best operator for a digital blolex substitute for sure. He would shag it rotten. Awful, especially that  no contestant is providing global shutter. Humor makes us smile, as Grimor did. Sincerity makes us think. So all good. We appreciate camera efforts and are thrilled about it. Btw, the 2/3rd sensor rasperry pi camera should be looked into. It has been a while since their last status message.

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Gotta love Austin Powers. Such a groovy attitude and humour. He would not be the best operator for a digital blolex substitute for sure. He would shag it rotten. Awful, especially that  no contestant is providing global shutter. Humor makes us smile, as Grimor did. Sincerity makes us think. So all good. We appreciate camera efforts and are thrilled about it. Btw, the 2/3rd sensor rasperry pi camera should be looked into. It has been a while since their last status message.

I did contemplate the Raspberry Pi camera when the RAW hack came out, but I realised that it doesn't matter if it gets a RAW hack or not, the hack won't improve its limited DR, ISO performance, and the fact that you'd have to go DIY on the colour science.

If I learned anything from the Alexa 35 release, it was that ARRI have an entire department just dedicated to tuning the sensor, and another entire department dedicated to processing the data that comes off that sensor, and both of those happen before the ARRI-RAW data is written to the card.  Who is doing that on the Raspberry Pi camera?  Some engineer who probably doesn't know anything about imaging except for implementing the standard circuit that the sensor manufacturer put in the spec sheet.

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

But what it did make me think of was that maybe someone else should put a much nicer sensor on a board and then see about getting a RAW signal off that.

Can you buy sensors from Fairchild individually?

On 11/1/2022 at 5:55 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Impressive strides?

😆

Cinemarting achieved first light from an 8K cinema camera in a relatively short time, and within ten months of that milestone they had self-contained, working prototypes.  Some would say that such accelerated steps ("strides") were remarkable ("impressive").

On 11/1/2022 at 8:05 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Impressive Strides sounds like the name of a shop in 1960s Carnaby Street where Austin Powers would go to buy his best kecks.

One can almost hear the echoes of snickering coming from a junior high school classroom.  Glad that we can all laugh at jokes that avoid personal digs.   Keep 'em coming!

Actually, I would say that "impressive strides" sounds less like an Austin Powers 1960's Carnaby Street shop and more like the extraordinary accomplishments from someone who creates wireless camera accessories and camera apps (in addition to those who create cinema cameras).

• Administrators

It was never going to be a viable product for the end user though.

Anyone putting up money would have been burnt to a crisp.

Didn't stop all the clickbait artists and DPReview hyping it up on their feeds though.

A bit like you are doing now!

• 1 month later...

After years of testing (I own a Digital Bolex) the closest thing to it is the BMMCC (Micro Cinema Camera)

It has the least amount of rolling shutter (around 13ms) and the best IQ among the BMPCC, BMCC, and the BMPC 4K.

You need to pair it with a RAWLITE filter (possibly latest edition).

Something more convenient, but not that close, though slightly closer because of even less rolling shutter,

is the BMPCC 4K in S16 crop, with RAWLITE filter v2 installed (get a magenta shift which I personally like compared

to the greenish/brownish tint of BM camera which I hate). Sigma fp series get very reach colors, but rolling shutter

is a pain. So, to recap, BMMCC and BMPCC 4K in s16 mode come closer to the Bolex look.

4 hours ago, davidemar said:

After years of testing (I own a Digital Bolex) the closest thing to it is the BMMCC (Micro Cinema Camera)

It has the least amount of rolling shutter (around 13ms) and the best IQ among the BMPCC, BMCC, and the BMPC 4K.

I have two of these cameras and love them but the downside is fixed-pattern noise. Not an issue if you give the camera enough light but FPN can quickly rear its ugly head and it's very difficult to eliminate. There was a detailed thread about it on the BMD forum here: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=115570

Interesting about the BMPCC 4K in S16 mode. I've also heard very high praise for the Ursa Mini 12K in Super 16 crop but have yet to see examples.

3 hours ago, bjohn said:

I have two of these cameras and love them but the downside is fixed-pattern noise. Not an issue if you give the camera enough light but FPN can quickly rear its ugly head and it's very difficult to eliminate. There was a detailed thread about it on the BMD forum here: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=115570

Interesting about the BMPCC 4K in S16 mode. I've also heard very high praise for the Ursa Mini 12K in Super 16 crop but have yet to see examples.

Super 16 crop on the USRA mini Pro 12k offers:

6144 x 3240 (6K Super16) up to 120 fps with 7.8ms rolling shutter.
4096 x 2160 (4K Super16) up to 240 fps with 4.25ms rolling shutter.

25 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

Super 16 crop on the USRA mini Pro 12k offers:

6144 x 3240 (6K Super16) up to 120 fps with 7.8ms rolling shutter.
4096 x 2160 (4K Super16) up to 240 fps with 4.25ms rolling shutter.

Those are great specs. I've seen a few bits of footage online but would love to see it with some native Super 16 lenses. Once BMD knocked cut the price in half it became more interesting to me but it's still big and expensive compared with other options. I'd like to wait and see if they come out with a smaller new camera in 2023 or 2024 that uses their own sensor, not necessarily 12K.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, QuickHitRecord said:

Octopus Cinema is pivoting to focus exclusively S16 cameras now.

It's a pity they're going to give a big fat middle finger to the film industry and not use any kind of commonly normal process for TC or audio