Sony A7S is shipping

jcs

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A lot of folks are still on the fence. After more real-world reviews, making the decision will be easier. For our testing, if the A7S can replace 5D3 RAW for most video uses, it'll be a keeper. The 5D3 will be way better for stills unless we invest in some native lenses. We will compare it to the 5D3 (RAW), GH4, FS700, and even the iPhone 5S (has really good color science and looks great in bright light). Not sure if we'll have time for a video review, but will report what we find.

Angry girlfriends? They're in most test videos too...

I'm waiting to see some gruelling reviews of it. The Sony "good on paper, wonky in reality" curse ever hangs over them for me. I hope it's not true this time. They do tend to make plastic video footage with funny dead colours though...

Fingers crossed

• Administrators

Haha the wonky in reality curse strikes...

S-LOG 2 is ISO 3200 only, you can't shoot at a lower ISO. Good look with those NDs. I don't understand how Sony claim the dynamic range is optimal at ISO 3200 on the A7S which is why S-LOG 2 is 3200 and DXOMark claim it is optimal at the lowest ISO in all of their tests on all the cameras on the market either. Perhaps someone could explain?

Apparently the cameras which have shipped in the US are not NTSC / PAL switchable. Anyone got theirs yet?

But I have a feeling rolling shutter will be the main cause of wonkiness.

Let's see. Getting mine next week hopefully!

Apparently the cameras which have shipped in the US are not NTSC / PAL switchable. Anyone got theirs yet?

This seems to be the case... looking at the full specs at Sony.nl:

http://www.sony.nl/electronics/cameras-met-verwisselbare-lens/ilce-7s/specifications

Beeldformaat (pixels), PAL*

AVCHD: 1920 x 1080 (50p/28 Mbps/PS, 50i/24 Mbps/FX, 50i/17 Mbps/FH, 25p/24 Mbps/FX, 25p/17 Mbps/FH), Mp4: 1440 x 1080 (25 fps/12 Mbps), 640 x 480 (25 fps/3 Mbps)  

I can't find the * part with explanation though...   But if you look at the A7R specs you see it has 24 fps.. http://www.sony.nl/electronics/cameras-met-verwisselbare-lens/ilce-7r/specifications