fav Halloween stuff 2022

kaylee

heres a fun thread!

my current playlist includes helping build haunts (!!!), shopping for trashy halloween store stuff aaaanndd

• horror movies ive never really watched like Exorcist 3 or Halloween 18, whatever 

• fav 'horror' movie of all time is the shining btw lol (sort of doesnt count?)

• maybe ill watch Alien...

• Simpsons treehouse of horror seasons 1-10+

• x files monster of the week episodes

• Anything Ghost podcast

• Garfield halloween (garfield sucks but i have a soft spot for him. not funny but kinda sweet)

• been watching Are You Afraid of the Dark? vintage nick, never seen it before

• do you know whats ACTUALLY p darn good? dahmer on netflix. check it out..... IF YOU DARE MUAHHAHAHHAAAAA

• oh, and of course GHOST TO GHOST AM with art bell

garfield.webp

what are you watching/doing? costumes? haunts?? projection mapping the house???

give me stuff to watch

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, kaylee said:

heres a fun thread!

my current playlist includes helping build haunts (!!!), shopping for trashy halloween store stuff aaaanndd

• horror movies ive never really watched like Exorcist 3 or Halloween 18, whatever 

• Anything Ghost podcast

• Garfield halloween (garfield sucks but i have a soft spot for him. not funny but kinda sweet)

• do you know whats ACTUALLY p darn good? dahmer on netflix. check it out..... IF YOU DARE MUAHHAHAHHAAAAA

garfield.webp

give me stuff to watch

I'm not really into Halloween (and it's less of a thing here in Australia, although it is growing in popularity each year)....  but, Alien is seriously good sci-fi cinema!  I can't imagine you haven't seen it, but if not, wow are you in for a treat!  My first experience with the series was Aliens, which I watched as a ~7? year old alone in the lounge room of someones big old scary house where my dad was visiting and the adults put it on to keep me entertained why they talked somewhere else in the house.    I had a major jump-scare when during a particularly tense moment in the film someone suddenly stuck their head into the room to ask me what I wanted for dinner!  A memorable watch!

I've often wished that I could 'forget' a movie so that I would get to watch it for the first time (again).  I purposefully don't watch my favourites for years so that I have forgotten at least some stuff and get some surprises and fun twists.

Other fun movies that come to mind:

• The Forgotten 2004 with Julianne Moore (watch it without any spoilers or previews at all if you can)
  • The Ring
  • The Fourth Kind 2009 with Milla Jovovich (again, watch without spoilers or previews if possible)
  • and of course, just for fun...  Shawn of the Dead 🙂 

6 hours ago, kaylee said:

heres a fun thread!

• Anything Ghost podcast

garfield.webp

give me stuff to watch

I'm also enjoying some early Simpson's Treehouse of Horror and Are You Afraid of the Dark? to relive some childhood trauma lol. 

I HIGHLY recommend the director's cut of Doctor Sleep since you're a Shining fan. It somehow is a great sequel to both the movie and the book. 

Three movies I watch every Halloween are WNUF Halloween Special, Trick r Treat, and The Guest. All worth checking out for something new.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:28 AM, kye said:

I'm not really into Halloween (and it's less of a thing here in Australia, although it is growing in popularity each year)....  but, Alien is seriously good sci-fi cinema!  I can't imagine you haven't seen it

oh no i have lol, but not in ages. i used to be a big ridley scott fan!

it's less of a thing here in Australia, although it is growing in popularity each year

outstanding

7? year old alone in the lounge room of someones big old scary house where my dad was visiting and the adults put it on to keep me entertained why they talked somewhere else in the house

awesome visual – and horrifying. this happened to me with 2001 as a kid and it made me a crazy adult

I've often wished that I could 'forget' a movie so that I would get to watch it for the first time (again).  I purposefully don't watch my favourites for years so that I have forgotten at least some stuff and get some surprises and fun twists.

i feel u. wise. same. or, i try lol

The Forgotten 2004 with Julianne Moore (watch it without any spoilers or previews at all if you can)

will check out

The Ring

def should watch again!!!

The Fourth Kind 2009 with Milla Jovovich (again, watch without spoilers or previews if possible)

too many ufo opinions, but ill give it a shot. big milla fan

Shawn of the Dead

familiar but ive never really seen it?? will do!!

also EVIL DEAD btw

On 10/25/2022 at 5:41 AM, MurtlandPhoto said:

I HIGHLY recommend the director's cut of Doctor Sleep since you're a Shining fan. It somehow is a great sequel to both the movie and the book. 

nice!!! hmm interesting will check it out

On 10/25/2022 at 5:41 AM, MurtlandPhoto said:

WNUF Halloween Special, Trick r Treat, and The Guest. All worth checking out for something new.

amazing that idk what these are... what a great thread by me!! looking now...

GettyImages-167769499-2000-a0c5e70531fc4

3 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Have you seen the sequel, Out There, yet?? I liked it, but WNUF is definitely my favorite of the two.

BE NICE! I did, I was a backer and got the DVD a little while back! I liked it, though I wish they'd leaned into horror more like he did with the original. But the commitment to creating something like that, I have no choice but to love it. Watch it with the Trader Tony commentary on if you haven't already, it's hilarious!

2 hours ago, homestar_kevin said:

All the WNUF talk making me smile as well. 

I know Chris and will have to tell him the next time I see him, though he's been traveling all month screening the sequel.

That's dope! Both Chris and Jimmy George seem like really cool dudes, though I don't think Jimmy worked on the sequel due to the pandemic. I've really enjoyed all their films!

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

BE NICE! I did, I was a backer and got the DVD a little while back! I liked it, though I wish they'd leaned into horror more like he did with the original. But the commitment to creating something like that, I have no choice but to love it. Watch it with the Trader Tony commentary on if you haven't already, it's hilarious!

That's dope! Both Chris and Jimmy George seem like really cool dudes, though I don't think Jimmy worked on the sequel due to the pandemic. I've really enjoyed all their films!

Completely agree!!

• Super Members
5 hours ago, kaylee said:

do you guys realize how crazy americans are for halloween

From my perspective of growing up as a kid in the late 60s/early 70s in the UK, the whole thing bemuses me !

It is now a fairly big deal in the UK too - although it hasn't quite become as ingrained in our national culture as changing Prime Minister every few weeks has - but it certainly wasn't the case until relatively recently.

Our halloween consisted of three elements, all of which consisted of some sort of fruit or vegetable and an element of borderline abuse.

The first was what was referred to where we lived as duck apple but was called bobbing for apples in other parts of the country.

This consisted of about a dozen or so apples being put in a bucket of water, having your hands tied behind your back and putting your head in the water to retrieve one with your mouth.

Putting your head in the water is a euphemism for one of your brothers repeatedly pushing your head in and holding it down until you'd completed the mission. Fair play to them, the skill involved in holding someone's head down in the water until just prior to the point of drowning was quite an art.

Hidden amongst the selection of apples were ones that had had a small incision made in them by my Dad to secrete a coin but the downside to this triumph was that if you managed to survive the drowning attempts to emerge with one of these prizes you then had to eat the apple to claim the coin.

These weren't your fancy dan French Golden Delicious apples, though, as these were the tartest inedible cooking apples that a 1970s UK grocer could provide so it was very much a pyrrhic victory.

The second element of the 1970s halloween in our house, retained the cooking apples and the hands tied behind the back aspect but added a new one in the form of a blindfold.

You were placed in a chair, bound and blindfolded, and you had to try and catch in your teeth whatever was swung past you on a piece of string and weren't allowed to leave the chair until you'd caught something.

The "somethings" on offer were one of the leftover apples from the previous fun and games and a bar of soap.

It was considered against the spirit of the game to not take a fulsome bite attempt at whatever wafted past so half hearted attempts were strongly discouraged using the clip around the back of the head school of correction.

In an act of unexpected generosity, all of the leftover apples were loaded with a coin this time but the same rules applied regarding eating it whereas with the soap you were at least allowed to get away with just the initial bite.

Either way, you weren't going to get away unscathed in the disgusting taste department.

We may have grown up on the shores of Liverpool Bay but with the blindfolds, hand bindings and forced water immersion techniques our house was very much more Guantanamo Bay at halloween in those days.

The final element is the one which most closely resembles the modern version of halloween in the UK, namely the carved lantern.

Now, I'm reliably informed that pumpkins were introduced into the UK in the 16th century but let me assure you that in our local shops in the 1970s you'd have been as likely to come across pheasant or quinoa as you were to encounter a pumpkin so our lantern base of choice was the turnip.

Due to its density, trying to hollow out a raw turnip and carve a face into it is something that should realistically only be attempted with the aid of power tools.

The potential dangers offered by us using the one sharp knife we owned and its main role (carving the Sunday roast) being a protected occupation meant that we had to make do with regular table knives and a spoon.

The process could be measured in days rather than hours which, combined with the rudimentary tools on offer, would inevitably lead to the adoption of the "fuck it, that will have to do" approach to fit and finish that is evident in this typical effort from the period.

70s_turnip.jpg.8235bea820cc142e76beb5f37b3cd767.jpg

As for interior illumination of the lantern, again, if tealight candles were available in the UK at that time they certainly weren't available in our local shops so it was the workmanlike though more inherently dangerous standard candle that had to be put in them.

As these never fit properly into whatever mounting hole that could be fashioned with a spoon, they would inevitably fall over and the smell of burning turnip was a constant in the atmosphere of the UK for the last week of October. Or every Sunday with my mother's propensity to burn the Sunday dinner.

The nadir of the grim lantern years was 1973 when we didn't even have the candles as there was a shortage of them as people prepared for the power cuts of the impending three day week where frivolity of using candles for turnip illumination gave way to having to use them for illuminating offices as seen here.

blackout-1-RE.gif.d32a09db1267a01175e1c31cc9f8f5fc.gif

As regards, scary halloween movies, we didn't have any that come to mind but, truth be told, we were pretty much living in one anyway!

Things are very different now and it does appear to be on its way to being on a par with what happens in the US but for my era it was completely overshadowed by Bonfire Night a few days later.

Bonfire Night in the 70s took the danger levels of halloween to another level but as it was in honour of chaotic and ultimately doomed plots at the Palace of Westminster then it was actually very much on brand for the modern day life in the UK.

One of my favorite filmmakers is John Carpenter, so I watch a lot of his films during the month of October, and of course watch the first 3 Halloween films on Halloween night (the original Halloween is one of the films that made me want to be a filmmaker). My "costume" this year is actually the Silver Shamrock Jack O Lantern mask from Halloween III Season of the Witch. I also like watching classic Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes, and anthology films like the original Creepshow and Trick R Treat. The Evil Dead trilogy is always rewatched around this time as well.