Berlin Teufelsberg + 5D Mk. 3

Gregormannschaft

Shot this a couple of weeks ago at Teufelsberg in Berlin with the tried and trusted 5D MkIII - no RAW. Any thoughts welcome! 

I was running and gunning it, although in retrospect I wish I'd brought along a tripod. I've had problems with crushed skies with the CineStyle image profile before but this time I made sure to (mostly) expose for skies and they look much better.

And then there's detail. Videos like this make me wish for the GH4. RAW just isn't an option for me at the moment thanks to the cost of the cards, hard drives, and as I'm a Mac Air user, a new computer.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You are right. Some shots call for a tripod, particularly with this music. Others look good handheld (Inarritu style). Try stabilize in post. What software do you use? After Effects warp stabilizer is very good, for FCP X there is Coremelts Lock&Load (but the built-in tripod method actually works well). 

You have a raw beast slumbering in your modest 5D. GH4 (just for the 4k aspect) can't compete. One day you should try that.

You are right. Some shots call for a tripod, particularly with this music. Others look good handheld (Inarritu style). Try stabilize in post. What software do you use? After Effects warp stabilizer is very good, for FCP X there is Coremelts Lock&Load (but the built-in tripod method actually works well). 

You have a raw beast slumbering in your modest 5D. GH4 (just for the 4k aspect) can't compete. One day you should try that.

Cheers for the feedback. I'd love to have shot this raw, but just won't be an option for a while unfortunately.

I used Premiere CC for the edit and the stabilisation. Sometimes the warp stabiliser works a treat, pan shots work particularly well (the first shot with the path through the woods and the last shot up towards the sky) but for others it's brutal. I tried a few different types (subspace warp + position, rotation, scale) and they all resulted in some really odd warping of footage. I might go back in though and see if there's any more I can do with the footage to get it that little bit more stable.

Getting to the point with the 5D where, as much as I really enjoy doing these montages, landscape footage just never looks as good as it should and it's frustrating. Kendy Ty's use of close up footage with the T2i is probably also the way to go with the 5D MkIII as well, which means short narrative films most of the time.

i dont mind the slight camera shake at all, i even like the effect of reality it gives of being there

i can see the stabilization it leaves some ripples, and it deteriorates the image, i dont use it for the same reason

only thing i would change is the use of profiles like cinestyle, the mark 3 with a beautiful lens can give you amazing colours as is

just play with the kelvin temp and whitebalance and try the simple prolost profile,

go for a variable nd filter for the skies, tiffen etc and try to shoot at dawn or dusk for the most beautiful landscapes

i like the whole mood of your video..keep shooting!

Dude, really good job with the color. At first I thought your original post said you were using raw, and I was thinking "cool, I like the flat grading"...then I saw that it's just cinestyle and I was even more impressed.  This looks better than a lot of the "graded" raw footage I see out there that is way too flat and lifeless.

Dude, really good job with the color. At first I thought your original post said you were using raw, and I was thinking "cool, I like the flat grading"...then I saw that it's just cinestyle and I was even more impressed.  This looks better than a lot of the "graded" raw footage I see out there that is way too flat and lifeless.

Thanks a lot man, much appreciated given how well your vids are graded. Was aiming for something close to a film aesthetic with this but love just how vibrant you can make everything using RAW, still one I've gotta give a go soon.

And after some experiments with CineStyle, I can't stress enough how important it is to expose the skies properly. I did a video in San Francisco exposing for the shadows and mids and without exception the skies were a banded mess in every shot.